[SOLVED] New GPU install, system keeps shutting off

Aug 21, 2020
I upgraded my GPU from a 1070 Founders Edition to a 2070 Super. I uninstalled drivers, installed the 2070 Super, and installed its drivers.

Everything was great, saw improved FPS, but while playing Warzone my PC would completely turn off as I was deploying in the game. Turned back on no problem, but would do the same thing. Has happened 5 consecutive times.

I can’t say I’m the most PC part savvy. Any help is really appreciated!

My part list:
Old GPU: 1070 Founders Edition
New GPU: 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200

Solution
Current psu can't handle the new gpu. That's about as simple as it gets.
Typically, I'd agree, and initially was my first thought, given that the 2070 Super is 215W compared to the 1070's 150W - but the CX750M isn't a bad PSU. It's not my first choice, but it's not a bad one - this makes me more hesitant to think it's the PSU.

But, that said...
@loogey22 - how old is the PSU?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Current psu can't handle the new gpu. That's about as simple as it gets.
Typically, I'd agree, and initially was my first thought, given that the 2070 Super is 215W compared to the 1070's 150W - but the CX750M isn't a bad PSU. It's not my first choice, but it's not a bad one - this makes me more hesitant to think it's the PSU.

But, that said...

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Everywhere I’ve looked it says a 750 is plenty to run it. What would you recommend?
Corsair TX, RM, RMX
Seasonic Focus Gold
Thermaltake Toughpower
I could go on and on...

i don't think so have seen people running rtx 2070 on a seasonic s12iii 650w and that is worse than what he has
Ok. I'm all ears eyes as to what you believe the real issue is here, if all the OP changed was the gpu.

Typically, I'd agree, and initially was my first thought, given that the 2070 Super is 215W compared to the 1070's 150W - but the CX750M isn't a bad PSU.
We both know it's a somewhat cheaply made, but rather 'meh' psu. It's not going to blow anything up... but the 2070 Super is anything but those.

this makes me more hesitant to think it's the PSU.
:??:
Typo?

Aug 21, 2020

But, that said...
It’s only a few months old. A friend gave me his 1070 as I was building a new pc. I decided I wanted to upgrade to the 2070 super. So the whole system is only like 3 months old. All new parts.

Aug 21, 2020
Try your pc with a different power supply (a good 600w+ unit) in a pc shop or whatever that is the only way to know or u can download hwinfo and tell us the 12v,5v,3.3v rails readings
Okay, I’ll have to try that at the start of next week. I’m currently on my way out of town. I’ll fill you guys in once I get back. Appreciate your help!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Corsair's CXM line - not the CX - isn't a piece of crap, but not something I, at least, wouldn't pair a 2070 Super with, but would be more comfortable using with a 1660 Super/2060/RX 5700 instead.

B)Internal component quality > wattage. New users often have this backwards.
CXM is like the bare minimum of Corsair's product line I'd consider using on a gaming graphics card - much less, a high end one.

C)The 3700X would need to be sitting at 95C for an extended period of time to force a system shut down. For the 2070 Super, it's 88C instead. I saw no mention of either of those kinds of thermals.

D)Aside from the internal component quality, power supplies can also overheat. They have the unique trait of shutting off and refusing to power on until they have cooled down.
I saw no mention of this, so the current psu isn't overheating, at least.

CX is a meh PSU? Sure hope my Ryzen 9 3900X doesn't trash it then.
CXM - the M model. Not the CX. CXM is slightly worse.
You do know that the gpu is the most stressful part of a PC that psus have to deal with, right? Cpus are a cakewalk.

Reactions: johnsoner13