[SOLVED] New GPU + Old Motherboard = DisplayPort Isn't working. Is it possible

Jun 2, 2020
Hello.

Recently i bought a brand new "Radeon RX 5600XT" for step-upgrade and installed it on my old motherboard "Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P (rev 1.0)" (with BIOS from 2013).
After cleaning and re-installing drivers my main display which is connected to 5600XT by HDMI-cable works well, but my second display, which is connected (to gpu, not MB-integrated interface) by DisplayPort-cable isn't working.
On some specifications about my MB i've read that it may not have power supply for DisplayPort ports.

Is it a possible reason for not working displayport connection problem?
Should i worry about GPU-malfunction, or i just should buy new MB,CPU,RAM... and all displayport interfaces will work?

And also, strange detail, with the newest AMD drivers, i can't choose a YCbCr 4:4:4 color profile with new GPU (only FullRGB is avaliable now). As a result (probably) now i cannot change gamma correction, it just stay fixed even when i try to change it with windows settings.
Are those two things related to each other?

Thank You!

Solution
Probably found possible solution for my case:
My first monitor (that is working) is ASUS TUF VG249Q (has HDMI, DP interfaces), connected via HDMI-to-HDMI cable to Radeon RX 5600XT.
My second monitor (that is not working) is Philips 226V4LAB (has VGA, DVI interfaces), connected via
"Telecom DisplayPort (M) - DVI (M), 1.8м (TA668-1.8M)" cable, yep, DisplayPort-to-DVI cable, not the DVI-to-Displayport cable.
I guess i've just bought a wrong cable. Didn't know that DVI cables are non-reversible.

Thank's for that post:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/#post-20043088

1.2. Adapter Direction Notation

The convention for discussing adapters is...
Jun 2, 2020
Probably found possible solution for my case:
My first monitor (that is working) is ASUS TUF VG249Q (has HDMI, DP interfaces), connected via HDMI-to-HDMI cable to Radeon RX 5600XT.
My second monitor (that is not working) is Philips 226V4LAB (has VGA, DVI interfaces), connected via
"Telecom DisplayPort (M) - DVI (M), 1.8м (TA668-1.8M)" cable, yep, DisplayPort-to-DVI cable, not the DVI-to-Displayport cable.
I guess i've just bought a wrong cable. Didn't know that DVI cables are non-reversible.

Thank's for that post:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/#post-20043088

1.2. Adapter Direction Notation

The convention for discussing adapters is "<source> to <display>". This means a "DisplayPort to HDMI adapter" is a device that connects a DP computer to an HDMI display, not the other way around. Most adapters only work in one direction, so having backwards terminology can potentially result in buying the wrong item. However, this can usually be avoided by simply reading the product description.

Between DisplayPort, DVI, and HDMI, the only adapters that work in both directions are DVI-HDMI passive adapters. All other adapters, passive or active, are non-reversible.

I will try to do the tests with my old VGA monitor by VGA-DP cable today. Hope that will be a prove of a functionality for my DP-ports

UPD: I've tried to connect VGA monitor by VGA-DP cable and it worked well (except PWM noises, but its a feature of analog-digital transmission).
Also my ASUS VG249Q display worked well with DP-DP cable.
All my DP ports are works well.

The problem explained by wrong/bad DP-DVI cable.

Last edited:
Solution