Question New GPU. System won't POST. Will post with old GPU

May 18, 2022
I bought a 3070 FE today, sealed in box with reciept from Best Buy from a local seller on FB marketplace and I am so excited to have the GPU I've wanted for a year and a half. But, when I put the GPU in my PC, it wouldn't post.

Specs:
Ryzen 3700x
Corsair 16x2 GB RAM
B550I Aorus Pro AX
Power Supply: EVGA supernova GM Series 650 W 80+ Gold SFX
AIO CPU cooler
Old GPU: EVGA GTX 970
New GPU: RTX 3070 Founders Edition
OS: Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Since it won't post, i can't get into either with the 3070.

What does the computer do?
With the 3070 installed, the fans start spinning and the LED lights start flashing, but they never stop flashing or spinning and nothing comes up on the monitor. I think the technical way to say this is that the system is not POST-ing

Some actions taken:
I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers on Windows 10 and have the default windows drivers.
I updated the BIOS of the motherboard to version 15. This changed the start up pattern of my lights. Instead of cycling through the RGB spectrum, they are just a constant orange now.
I removed the 2nd slot RAM because I saw this helped some people. It didn't help me
Fast boot is turned off.

Things to note:
I have a PCI-e riser cable in my build because it's a sandwich-style mini-ITX. Could this be a source of the problem? Checking this would mean dismantling my system and booting without a case. It's a Gen 3 cable and I believe the motherboard PCI-e slot is only Gen 3. I didn't see any options in the BIOS to change whether it's looking for gen 3 vs 4.
Since my system won't post, I don't think this has to do with the GPU drivers in windows 10. It's something within the BIOS or the hardware not recognizing the new GPU. It's promising that my system works just fine with my old GPU.

I don't want to mess with my system too much in fear of bricking my expensive PC. I've seen many forms that went this way. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I can check that the GPU works on a friend's computer to make sure it isn't a dud
d.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022
are you getting a "no signal" type message on the screen or just blank/black screen?

Looks like it's a "no signal" type message. My monitors go to sleep in power saving mode when there is no signal. One says no signal, the other one is black for a minute, then shuts down.

I also tried plugging the HDMI into the motherboard HDMI and no success. I didn't expect anything because I don't have on-board graphics.

May 18, 2022
Windows 10 is installed in UEFI mode.

I checked with my friends machine and the GPU works. The GPU isn't faulty. There's something else wrong with the software.

Last edited: