Question New(ish) PC built - Problem with fans always running at seemingly max

dynquaz

Honorable
Apr 19, 2018
Hi all,

I'm not too savvy with PC building, I used to do it with my brother but he went away and now I've had to learn 100% of the process and I'm not going to lie it takes me days to learn and relearn since I don't PC build a lot. This PC was originally for someone else but situations have happened that it is now mine, it does seem pretty powerful.

That being said the issue is I can't seem to change any of the fan speeds no matter what I try. I did have a lot of issues getting the RGB to work when building it originally so I'm relatively convinced the fan cables aren't in the correct headers but I can't be sure. The reading in the BIOS just tells me the CPU 1 fan is around 5500-5700 RPM. I did assume this is just a incorrect reading (maybe it's reading the AIO pump?) but I'm not really sure how to fix it as I'm nervous I'll end up knocking out the RGB I spent many hours trying to solve in the daisy chain/back connecting part of the PC where all the RGB cables were. I've tried changing the types from AUTO to PWM and to DC but it doesn't change anything except the GPU (I think?) I've tried Fan Control by Rem0o, I've tried editing the curves and profiles in the BIOS but nothing seems to change the case, halo or CPU fans speeds, they just constantly run at max speeds.

Most of the temps also sit in the 35-45 degree range according to HW info so I don't think there's a problem there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

AIO CPU Cooler: Vertroo RGB Lurker V360 AIO White

Motherboard: AsRock X670E Steel Legend

Case Fan 1: Lian Li Lancool 216 Airflow Focus White (The actuall case)

Case Fan 2: Cool Master MF120 Halo RGB White Case Fan

I did build this PC around 3 months ago and it has always been loud, I never bothered to change it due to noise cancelling headphones but I've recently started making videos again and the noise is horrible, background suppression also doesn't work as it messes up the peaks so getting these fan speeds down is my only option. Please help if possible! I'm lose sleep over this :(

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, some general ways these things should be done with some why's.

I would UNinstall that third-party fan control app. What it really does every time it runs (likely automatically at every boot-up) is to CHANGE all the settings you made in BIOS Setup to its own settings, so it really can get in your way. Once it is GONE, what you set in BIOS Setup will stay in force.

For the CPU cooler system there are TWO cables to connect to mobo headers, and your mobo has good ones for that. Plug the cable from the PUMP into your mobo header labelled CPU_FAN2/WP. In BIOS Setup set this header to the PUMP option so that the pump always gets full power. Set its CONTROL MODE to PWM. and FAN SETTING to Standard Mode. Then you will "see" the PUMP speed on this header and it will not change.

The three-output Splitter cable for the rad fans should plug into the CPU_FAN1 header. Set its SWITCH to Fan Mode, its CONTROL MODE to PWM, not DC or Auto, and it FAN SETTING to Standard Mode. This will get the rad fan speeds controlled automatically according to the temp sensor inside the CPU chip and you will "see" the speed of one of those fans. The speeds of the other rad fans cannot be seen or monitored for failure, so from time to time YOU should just look to ensure all three still are working. All control of CPU cooling will be done by manipulation of the rad fan speeds.

As you say, your case has a Hub as a circuit board to power and control BOTH the fan MOTORS and the LIGHTS in those fans. You have two fans in the case, you say, and the Hub board has four sets or output ports. At one end that board has THREE connections to resources - a input from a PSU SATA power output connector, a cable that goes to one of your mobo CHA_FANn/WP headers to get the PWM signal for fan speed control, and a cable that goes to one of your mobo 's ADDR_LEDn headers to get its lighting display control signal.

In terms of fan MOTOR control, it is important that only the CASE FANS be connected to this Hub and that its input is from a CHA_FANn/WP header. That header should be set in BIOS Setup this way: SETTING to Standard Mode; SWITCH to Fan mode; CONTROL MODE to PWM, not DC or Auto; TEMP SOURCE to Monitor mobo. Then it will use a temp sensor on the mobo to control automatically all the fans via a PWM signal. You will "see" the speed of only the one case fan plugged into the FIRST hub motor output port.

Once you have these set up you can use BIOS Setup to check and alter any fan header settings. But you also can use the software utility supplied with your mobo called ASRock Motherboard Utility (A-tuning) in its FAN-Tastic Tuning section to do this while operaing under Windows.

In terms of LIGHTS, you can plug into the hub board's lighting ports the lighting cables from each of your two fans PLUS the cables from the fans of your CPU cooler system. IF you find that you need more than four lighting ports for all this, you can buy a simple lighting Splitter BUT it MUST be the three-pin variety for ARGB lights, like this

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Addressable-Universal-Radiators/dp/B083X1W5G4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1K104D4LQMH7J&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.lc383JQ8epLfYicf2LIkrRiOjpV4v_jjcjdChYEzvbLBumpHcnkH6iKFt1WauuLwEtZkZlmhSwQS4DHY_aMtyJH46hdsFkJRQ_LENYKEyEbBl3AJaUiCnOm6J53GsYLS5gm4Vy5JAsTuiiWa93jsLSEI2vqVHbHx7xSwUb2JBp06OT2Rd9c1JFauQP7jF76X2fbo0VRzzwspNHd-vIib061SKVizVCFrWVVRrQyrY2A.LVOwFQIm_0c_X5xkVD43-J6kZkWCpz4ST5WrGn6bZts&dib_tag=se&keywords=ARGB+splitter&qid=1716922630&sprefix=argb+splitter,aps,104&sr=8-4&th=1

If you have unused output male connectos from this, put tape over its pins to prevent it from shorting out somewhere.

Here's a hint that MAY apply to you, but often is NOT shown in any manual. Your case came with a motor / lighting Hub board that is already connected to a single pushbutton on the case top front for changing lighting displays. It also has the option to connect a cable from the board to a mobo lighting header to pick up signals from the mobo. So the lighting part of that hub can operate in two ways. By itself it can change lighting displays through a sequence of choices when you push that case top button. But IF you hold that button down for 3 to 5 sec, it will turn over control to the signal from the mobo lighting header. THEN you use instead the lighting display software tool that comes with your mobo, ASRock Polychrome SYNC.

Last edited:

dynquaz

Honorable
Apr 19, 2018
Sorry for late reply!

I went through all your suggestions and it worked! Managed to be quiet as soon as I changed my fan headers as they were all kinds of messed up due to being in the case headers. Thanks for your help!!

Latest posts