crobb100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
Hi-
The MB on my old Dell fried itself-it was a PIII 800 mhz Slot 1, with 3 sticks of 128 mb PC100 memory, Diamond Max 20 GB boot drive and Diamond Max 40 GB slave drive attached to a Maxtor ATA 100 adaptor card, running XP Home.

I found a new Tyan S1857 Slot1/Socket370 MB, finally, and installed it along with the original processor, memory, and HDs.

The sys POSTed fine, went into BIOS and set everything up. Initially the BIOS would not recognize the HDs-received an error due to no boot disc. I reflashed to BIOS with the latest update, cleared the CMOS, and tried again. It then recognized the drives.

Now, I am getting an OS error-the XP error that asks which OS you want to boot to, with options for Safe, Safe with net prompt, Safe with DOS prompt, Last Known Good Config or leave alone and countdown to regular XP boot. I have let the counter go down to zero, nothing happens-no XP boot. I cannot boot into Safe, or into Last Good Configuration mode.

I have avoided checking the discs with MaxBlast, as the discs have data on them-the sys is networked into my home net and is used as data storage/backup. I realize that XP doesn't like major sys config changes, and sometimes needs a MS validation after changes, but I figured it would at least boot!

Any thoughts on how to get XP to run? There's some data on there that I'd prefer to have access to.

Thanks in advance!

<font color=red>I need to OC....just to read the posts faster!</font color=red>

sturm

Splendid
Your best bet and only one I would do is do a clean install of win xp after a reformat of the hardrive. If u need any info off the disk you will need to put the harddrive in another computer and back it up.
The reason it wont boot is that windows is loading drivers for the old chipset from the dell computer. The drivers are not compatible with the new motherboard.
Since u cant boot into safe mode this is pretty much your only option.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Agreed.
I would also add, that if you are using a Dell recovery disk, you might have a problem loading windows because they are made to only work with Dell Mobo's.

:smile: Peace comes only after absolute victory :smile:

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
When you install windows XP, it records what motherboard it installed to. You can't just swap motherboards. In fact, it's been my experience that you have to do a low-level format to overcome this. You're gonna have to reinstall Windows XP. There's no way around it.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528