[SOLVED] New Mobo, CPU, AIO Cooler, Now Fans are Going Crazy

ludinkog

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Hey guys, I just got myself the 9900KF, so had to get new mobo as well, and decided on a new AIO as well while I was at it. Got the MSi Z390 MPG Edge AC, and the Deepcool Castle 360 v2. Still using my previous fans, 6x LL120, and am now using the included fan header hub that came with the cooler. However, when I boot it up, the fans were spinning at nearly max speed, non stop. Went into bios to see if the smart auto settings could get the fans to settle down, and it only partially works. In general, a bit quieter, but even in idle they are spinning faster than they used to when I was gaming before my upgrade, and when I launch any app, the fans go nuts for a few seconds, then settle down a tiny bit, but still ridiculously loud. Pls someone help me, I can't live my life this way.

Solution
You connected the hub for the fan speed control, to the CPU_OPT header on the motherboard?

And then in the BIOS, you found that SAME fan header, and set the desired fan profile for that fan header AND made sure that that fan header was set to PWM, not DC, and that it's source for control was set to CPU, not motherboard, PCM, VRM, GPU or anything else?

You do realize you don't even NEED to use that hub right? You can just get a three way PWM splitter cable, connect that to the CPU_FAN (Make sure you are not mistakenly connecting to CPU_OPT or some other header) header and then connect your fans to the other end of the splitter so that you can directly control their speed from the motherboard built in controls. Also, when in the BIOS...
You connected the hub for the fan speed control, to the CPU_OPT header on the motherboard?

And then in the BIOS, you found that SAME fan header, and set the desired fan profile for that fan header AND made sure that that fan header was set to PWM, not DC, and that it's source for control was set to CPU, not motherboard, PCM, VRM, GPU or anything else?

You do realize you don't even NEED to use that hub right? You can just get a three way PWM splitter cable, connect that to the CPU_FAN (Make sure you are not mistakenly connecting to CPU_OPT or some other header) header and then connect your fans to the other end of the splitter so that you can directly control their speed from the motherboard built in controls. Also, when in the BIOS, make sure you are in the advanced view, not the EZ or basic view.

Solution