Tschrom

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Hey all, Just looking for some suggestions for a cable modem to go with my service provider, Spectrum. I have the one they provide, but it's a piece of junk "Technicolor" something or other that drops connection to everything, every couple days and has to be reset. So I've been looking for one I can buy to take it's place. Something with decent wifi range. And so far, I've narrowed it down to these:

Arris SURFboard SBG7600AC2
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-...3-0-cable-modem-black/6320553.p?skuId=6320553

Or this:
Motorola Dual Band MG7550
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...3-0-cable-modem-black/5619201.p?skuId=5619201

Both are fast enough to handle the speed coming in, no problem. But I can't find any stats on the wifi range of either of these. They both have a lot of good reviews, in a lot of places. But I hear a lot about both. The Arris, for example, having range issues and dropping speed at range. Can anyone confirm this? The Motorola has half the downstream channels as the Arris. 16 to 32. But, would that really make a big difference with 200mbps internet, connected to maybe 8 or 9 devices? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Solution
The largest issue with wifi is not the router/modem. It is the house that causes most distance/range issues. The other is the router may have good range but devices like cell phones have small antenna and low power radio to save battery. So you may be "fixing" the wrong problem by replacing the router.

All depends why the current router drops. Be sure it is not dropping the internet connection because of issue with the line. If it is wifi I would try the standard change the wifi channel on the router and/or connect to the 2.4radio rather than the 5.

I doubt there is much difference between the 2 devices or even your current router. The technology is very mature and all vendors have gotten the bugs out and also there is...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all, Just looking for some suggestions for a cable modem to go with my service provider, Spectrum. I have the one they provide, but it's a piece of junk "Technicolor" something or other that drops connection to everything, every couple days and has to be reset. So I've been looking for one I can buy to take it's place. Something with decent wifi range. And so far, I've narrowed it down to these:

Arris SURFboard SBG7600AC2
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/arris-...3-0-cable-modem-black/6320553.p?skuId=6320553

Or this:
Motorola Dual Band MG7550
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...3-0-cable-modem-black/5619201.p?skuId=5619201

Both are fast enough to handle the speed coming in, no problem. But I can't find any stats on the wifi range of either of these. They both have a lot of good reviews, in a lot of places. But I hear a lot about both. The Arris, for example, having range issues and dropping speed at range. Can anyone confirm this? The Motorola has half the downstream channels as the Arris. 16 to 32. But, would that really make a big difference with 200mbps internet, connected to maybe 8 or 9 devices? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Don't get a combo unit. Get a discrete modem and separate router. Then when new router features come along, you just replace the router. OR if you ever get a different internet provider, you can reuse the router.

Reactions: SamirD

Tschrom

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Don't get a combo unit. Get a discrete modem and separate router. Then when new router features come along, you just replace the router. OR if you ever get a different internet provider, you can reuse the router.

I get where you're coming from, seeing as how this would make for easier swapping and personalization... However I have to get something with simplicity in mind. This is for my parents' home, not mine. They won't know the first thing of what to do with a complicated setup. So simplified, all in one, works better. Also have to get something approved by the ISP.

kanewolf

Titan
I get where you're coming from, seeing as how this would make for easier swapping and personalization... However I have to get something with simplicity in mind. This is for my parents' home, not mine. They won't know the first thing of what to do with a complicated setup. So simplified, all in one, works better. Also have to get something approved by the ISP.
The addition of one 1m ethernet cable doesn't make things much more difficult, IMO. But, good luck.

The largest issue with wifi is not the router/modem. It is the house that causes most distance/range issues. The other is the router may have good range but devices like cell phones have small antenna and low power radio to save battery. So you may be "fixing" the wrong problem by replacing the router.

All depends why the current router drops. Be sure it is not dropping the internet connection because of issue with the line. If it is wifi I would try the standard change the wifi channel on the router and/or connect to the 2.4radio rather than the 5.

I doubt there is much difference between the 2 devices or even your current router. The technology is very mature and all vendors have gotten the bugs out and also there is no price saving anymore so all transmit at the legal limits.

Between the 2 you post especially if this is not for a power user I would be careful to not chase big numbers. To get the top speeds your end devices must have things like 4 antenna which is very rare. Again the end device not the router is the limiting factor.

The difference between 16/4 and 32./8 only matters if you plan on buying a faster internet connection. Even if you buy one with more channels if you do not buy a package from the ISP that needs them it will still use less. Most times the 32/8 are used on the gigabit plans.

Solution
If this is the case, stick with the isp one and get them to fix the root cause of the problem. Because the second there's any other problem, the finger will be pointed at your parents and then you're back in the tech support loop again.