Question New motherboard: RAM LED on and PC only boots with RAM in Slots 3 and 4 ?

Jan 1, 2022
A month or so ago, I replaced my motherboard and CPU with an MSI Intel Pro Z690-A DDR4 and i5-12600k LGA1700 (both new). This was my first time replacing either of those parts so I was new but very careful. Anyway, I got them installed and all the parts back in place, but my memory from my previous build (two sticks of Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400MHz) was causing issues. On powering on, the mobo light would start red, but flash yellow every once in a while, and the monitors wouldn't start. After many combinations of the 2 ram sticks in the 4 slots, the only combo that got the PC to actually boot were slots B1 and B2, which is peculiar considering the RAM functioned less than 12 hours ago with the old mobo and processor (which only had 2 slots).

I was very stressed from the process since I'm new to this, so I just kept it like this and ordered 4 more sticks of the exact same RAM in case the slots being open was somehow the issue. Well, my RAM arrives and I install it, and no combination of all new or new and old RAM boots aside from those two older sticks in B1 and B2 and the other two slots empty. I reset BIOS to default settings and get the exact same issue. The RAM issue has made my work (doing big renders and project files) and recreation difficult. I'm on Windows 10. Let me know if I need to provide more details. Very worried it might have been an issue with me installing the motherboard or processor incorrectly and I'm unsure what to do here.

Last edited:

mancsoulja

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Make sure you haven't over-tightened your CPU cooler, it can cause the motherboard to bend slightly and the RAM slots closest to the CPU may not make contact with all the pads on the RAM properly.

Jan 1, 2022
You're advised to have your rams in slots A2 and B2, page 14, if you're working with two sticks of ram.

I have 4 sticks of ram and 4 slots, but the system only boots if I have them in B3 and B4. Every other combination of 2 or 4 sticks has the display not function (the monitors are powered, they just aren't receiving anything) and the mobo light toggles between red and yellow.

Make sure you haven't over-tightened your CPU cooler, it can cause the motherboard to bend slightly and the RAM slots closest to the CPU may not make contact with all the pads on the RAM properly.

I loosened the cooler and unfortunately the problem persists.

I also tried resetting the CMOS battery, and after that didn't work, tried the BIOS button on the back of the machine- still no dice. I also tried loosening + tightening the screws holding the motherboard in the case, still the same issue. Perplexed. Worried I somehow bent the pins on the CPU during installation. Taking the CPU out worries me, I'm not very familiar with them.

Jan 1, 2022
Update- I bit the bullet and removed the CPU fan as well as the CPU to check the pins and take photos- my friend group doesn't see anything wrong with the images for the types of processor/mobo they are, and I can't really get clearer pictures. After reinstalling the CPU and its fan, the RAM is still being rejected the same way as before. The motherboard pictures is an MSI Intel Pro Z690-A DDR4 and the CPU is an i5-12600k LGA1700.
tldr; reinstalled the cpu and cpu fan-- same issue as original post persists.

20220108_185318.jpg

20220108_191946.jpg

20220108_185349.jpg