New pc: Asrock z270 killer sli/ac red flashing chipset, all components run, no beeps, no post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenden_6

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
What a buzzkill. New pc all together and a fault right off the bat. I was really skeptical about buying an asrock and it immediately bit me in the ass because I have no troubleshooting to go off of, what the heck. Well no point in complaining any more, this needs fixed. When I first got it together it all started up, fans, hdd makes sound, gpu lights on (except the one near the plug that appears to be a fault light when there's no power, so I think I can rule out the psu). I checked all my connections, 8pin cpu was good, mb main plug wasn't seated in the bottom, still no difference. Tried different ram slots, tried it with the ram out to see if it would do anything different, nothing, not even a beep. I've cleared the cmos via the jumper twice. Unplugged everything besides the main mb plug and cpu plug and still nothing. I don't know what to do, this is my first built pc, I really wish I could get a lead on what's wrong at least. The only thing I know that isn't 100% right right now is my ram is rated at 1.35v and my mb lanes say 1.2v, I noticed it when I put it in, it wasn't advertised, I should be able to increase the voltage anyway. I filled out asrocks tech support form so I'll be waiting on that in the meantime. I dread the thought of taking the cpu out, my cooler gives me nightmares, I'd hate to get the board RMAed and have to wait or have the same problem again.

Asrock z270 killer sli/ac
Intel i5-7600k
Cryorig h7 cooler
G.skill tridentz 2x8gb dual channel 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 1.35v
Evga supernova 750w g3 psu
Gigabyte gtx 1060 GV-N1060G1GAM-6GD 6gb
LG wh14ns40 blu-ray drive
Seagate st1000nm0011 hdd
Pny cs1311 ssd
Fractal design r5 case

Solution
your power supply is fully modular,

make sure your 24 pin connectors are plugged in right,

they should have lables on the hard plastic connector part, and take a look at the label's on you 8 pin connector also,

and PSU label's connect to the power supply,

if the end says CPU, plug that into the 8 pin on the mobo, same with the 24 pin connector, make sure the label says MB for the mother board

Leslie25

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 14, 2016
your power supply is fully modular,

make sure your 24 pin connectors are plugged in right,

they should have lables on the hard plastic connector part, and take a look at the label's on you 8 pin connector also,

and PSU label's connect to the power supply,

if the end says CPU, plug that into the 8 pin on the mobo, same with the 24 pin connector, make sure the label says MB for the mother board

Solution

Doogiee

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Hey Brenden, did you get anywhere with this? I just threw together an almost identical build and I have the same problem. As soon as I plug in the power supply, the motherboard just flashes a red light.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5s5fhr/help_z270_asrock_killer_chipset_light_blinking_red/

yes i finally figured it out, ok so you know that small looking battery on the motherboard near the GPU chipsets? I took it out and put it back in to reset it and it finally worked for me!

Doogiee

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Ok so the flashing red light as far as I see is just their stock rgb coloring. I tried rebuilding one last time last night with the battery out for 5 minutes. Then I put the clear cmos jumper to reset for a couple seconds, then back to normal. Idk why it worked this time, but we're in business

Lngndvs

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Not a solution, but when I first booted, this machine, the flashing red LEDs, but the machine did not post. I tried several ideas. At some point I noticed that a green or blue light turned on at startup, then the red. I plugged in directliy to the integrated Video, I pulled the memory and reseated: nothing. Tried the battery: same result.

When I pulled the video card, a Gigabyte GTX-1050Ti, the system started.

Now it remains to be seen what's wrong with the video card.

BTW I am running GNU/Linux. System booted right up to flash drive, and there was no problem installing Ubuntu. Secure boot is disabled by default. Onboard wifi was recognized and worked out of the box.

The flashing red leds persist, so it may well be that this is normal. Are there error codes connected with the LEDs, or is this only decoration?

drubiks_cube

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this? I'm having a similar problem. Everything lights up, fans spin, but no post, no noise. Here's my setup:
- ASRock z270 Killer SLI/ac
-i5 7600k (verified is in mobu approved CPUs)
-212 Hyper Evo
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (verified is in mobu memory QVL)
- Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)
- WD Caviar BLue (WD500AAKS)
- EVGA 600B power supply
- MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DPC4kT

Here's what I've tried:
- put it all together and cross my fingers, no signal, no beeps
- remove GPU, connect DVI straight to Mobu, no signal...
- test DVI by connecting monitor to old rig, cords work fine
- pull out the nvme and boot with just the old hard drive
- test the old hard drive by putting it in the old rig, booted fine
- test power supply by putting it in the old rig, booted fine
- take it all apart, put it back together again, no change
- jump CMOS while connected to power and not connected, no signal
- remove battery, tried with battery from old rig, no signal
- pulled hair out

any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the following post and done basically everything they mention.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

***UPDATE***
Started testing out the different DIMM slots and found that when my RAM was put in the "recommended" DIMM slots it wouldn't boot but if I put them in the slots B1 and B2 it posts just fine. Installed windows and everything appears to function properly (except for the fact that two DIMM lanes don't work). Not sure if having the RAM in B1 and B2 means that the RAM is running sub-optimally since these are not the recommended lanes but I'll take what I can get at this point. I updated the BIOS and still only the B1 and B2 lanes work. Going to reach out to ASRock to see if they have any suggestions for me. They'll prob just advice that the board be RMA'd but I'm really hoping there is an easier solution. Will report back what they say.

antonyb17

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
[SOLVED]
At first, same story here, MB powered but no post.

I freaked out because the RAM I had bought wasn't listed on the qualified RAM.
And this glowing red thing on the MB...
But then decided to try a few things... and it ended up working.

First, the glowing red is actually a feature, yes! Unless you hears beep, all is well with the pulsating red under the ASRock chipset.
The setup has options for colors and patterns... how confusing (maybe a cultural thing, red = bad for most of the west)

For the Mb to post, my solution was simply to take the CMOS battery out, wait 5 seconds, put it back in.
It booted!
THEN jumped onto the F2 key, got into setup, press F9 to load default/optimum settings,
Then save and exit with F10.

That's all it took.

Then got other issues like USB keyboard not working (installing Windows 7)... that was solved with enabling PS2 compatibility in the setup (on top of USB legacy)... then I could use any ports.

Holos1

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I'm having the same issue. Taking out the battery didn't do it for me. Switching the memory did not either.

I'm running a 1080 GpU and had only a 550 PsU so I'm going to up it to a 750 psu and see if that helps.

Stephen1688

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017

DId you ever get a response from ASRock? I have a similar issue with the RAM working in B1 and B2 but not working in any other lanes

joeton_gwapo

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I fixed this by pressing F2 at boot. Then go to advanced mode tab. Then tool tab. Then choose “AURA RGB LED”. Then choose “STYLE” drop down box. And it should give you options to turn it off. Or breathing pattern. Or strobe. Etc. i turned mine off. Less lights = less power = less heat = save the world.

navigator535

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
New build two weeks ago, same board also Dual Channel DRAM. Exact same issue during first boot.
My mistake: I put Ram in Slots A1 and A2. Switched A2 to B1 and everything went fine from that moment on. I know, this is one of the most dumbest things you can do, but still one of the most common mistakes people make when putting together a system.

wmjas.shaw

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

t8te

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
I had this problem too and was about to email ASRock, but decided to give it one more go. After turning the computer off but leaving the PSU on, I unplugged the SDD from the PSU, tried a new cable. Then I unplugged the 24 pin big boy connector from the board, watched the red glowing chipset die, waited a few seconds, and then plugged it back in. It finally worked. The number of times I pulled out the CMOS battery just for it to be a power issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.