[SOLVED] New PC build - NVIDIA Driver for rog strix 3070 failure - VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2020
Good morning from Austria,

i got really stuck with my new built PC. My old one was about 8 Years old so i bought a completely new Setup as my personal reward for 2020. Here are the specs of my new build:
  • CHASSIS: Corsair Carbide Series 275R
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • MB: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • GPU: Asus Rog Strix 3070 8GB
  • PSU: PHANTEKS Revolt Pro 80 PLUS Gold 850W Power Combo
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3200 32GB Kit
  • CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
  • CHASSIS Fan: 3x Be Quiet 120mm (2 Fans in Front, 1 Fan in Back)
So far so good - i use this build as an overpowered Homeoffice PC (because of Corona) and for sure as a gaming PC. One week ago i started working with "normal" Tools like Blender, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop, Visual Studio Pro and everything was smooth as hell. 3 Days ago i tried the first games in Ultra Mode and it was great UNTIL Windows restarted unexpected after about 5-10 Minutes of playing. I tried following Games in Ultra so far:
  • The Witcher 3
  • World of Tanks
  • RDR 2
  • FFXV
And EVERY Game forced Windows to restart after about 5-10 Minutes of playing. Temp was good - CPU on max. 62° C, GPU on max. 59° C (max. 48% VRAM Usage), MB on max. 43° C and so on. So i googled and searched and tried following things to find the failure:
  • CPU stress test - no problems
  • GPU stress test (firemark, 3dmark) - no problems
  • combined CPU & GPU stress test (3DMark&Prime95) - no problems
  • RAM memtest/windows RAM check - no problems
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated MB Drivers (Chipset etc.)
  • Updated GPU BIOS
  • Uninstalled GPU Drivers (DDU) and reinstalled newest driver from NVIDIA (without GE)
  • Changed Windows Settings in Energy saving Plans (turned off Harddrive Sleep after 20 Minutes, no sleep, no display off etc.)
  • PSU tested for powerloss, heat etc. without any errors and even turned off fan cooling of PSU (because why not)
Nothing solved the problem - so i re-installed Win10 completely to have a clean start and did the same procedure as mentioned above (stress test, driver updates etc.). I played RDR2 again and same behaviour - windows restart after about 5-10 Minutes. Windows events just shows the Kernel-Power 41 Error - so thats not an indicator for me. Windows memory dump file couldn't be created (said by windows event viewer) BUT i found some very interesting Dump Files in Windows - LiveKernelReports - WATCHDOG. Dumpfile Reader (WhoCrashed) says that my actual GPU Driver by NVIDIA (v460.89 - installed without GeForce Experience) is causing this problem with error "VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED". Details here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri 18.12.2020 19:58:44 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file:
C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201218-1958.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8034A92372C)
Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFF9B88492E0460, 0xFFFFF8034A92372C, 0x0, 0x25F8)
Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_2635d5c616c804dc\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
company: NVIDIA Corporation description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 Bug check
description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone else have the same experience? Is there a "simple" solution to this problem? I mean i'm really pissed because the new build wasn't cheap (austria/germany is f**** expensive) and i couldn't wait to do nice stuff with it but that failure is so devastating and frustrating.

Thanks for any answer/help/suggestion!

Cheers,
Shizo (Dave)

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
“nvlddmkm.sys”

I know you are aware that this is driver issue and it’s pretty difficult to fix, I’ve went through a thread here with that error as well.

while I myself is not an expert I did my best by research but it was really difficult to tackle, main suspect was his motherboard. May not be the same topic but the issue a bit similar to yours.

if you do have a spare card try using that on your board to see if the issue to occurs. If it doesn’t then that means there’s gotta be an issue with your new card. But if it still happens it could probably be your ram or even motherboard.

strange enough is that I’ve seen many people with 30 series card having drivers issue, even saw a thread where a guy had a 3060ti trying to play doom had this problem as well. It’s something we most can’t fix but only NVDIA can by launching a driver patch for this issue.

Dec 18, 2020
“nvlddmkm.sys”

I know you are aware that this is driver issue and it’s pretty difficult to fix, I’ve went through a thread here with that error as well.

while I myself is not an expert I did my best by research but it was really difficult to tackle, main suspect was his motherboard. May not be the same topic but the issue a bit similar to yours.

if you do have a spare card try using that on your board to see if the issue to occurs. If it doesn’t then that means there’s gotta be an issue with your new card. But if it still happens it could probably be your ram or even motherboard.

strange enough is that I’ve seen many people with 30 series card having drivers issue, even saw a thread where a guy had a 3060ti trying to play doom had this problem as well. It’s something we most can’t fix but only NVDIA can by launching a driver patch for this issue.

Thank you for your answer! I'm stuck between PSU failure and GPU failure. I tried two other NVIDIA driver versions - 460.79, 457.51. They changed one thing - got no restart but blackscreen and needed to hard reset. No dump file but still Kernel 41 and before every Kernel 41 i got "e2fexpress" warning in the same second. Doesn't mean a thing too i guess.

Will try my really old GTX 750Ti with the actual installed driver version 460.79 and HW setup. My old PSU just has 600W and i think it woun't work with the 3070 and the rest of my setup.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
You are very welcome did my best to offer you some help.

well since you built another pc and it seems like you still have your old one. Maybe you could using your new psu on your old pc and use the 3070 in there then try play some of your games with it. Besides bottleneck it should at least give you a higher chance to see which component is actually the culprit causing this issue.

Dec 18, 2020
You are very welcome did my best to offer you some help.

well since you built another pc and it seems like you still have your old one. Maybe you could using your new psu on your old pc and use the 3070 in there then try play some of your games with it. Besides bottleneck it should at least give you a higher chance to see which component is actually the culprit causing this issue.

So i guess i found the failing part - i tried my old PSU with only 600W and played RDR2 on Ultra for nearly an hour without any errors with my new build (gpu, cpu etc.). I'm gonna try the new 850W PSU again just to be sure - if it fails again i can definitely say the PSU is damaged or maybe it's just one cable (but got no equipment for cable testing).

do you have any recommendations for a PSU with 750W or above? What about the Asus Rog Strix 750W to complete my new build with another Rog Strix part? I guess 750W should be enough when my 600W could stand RDR2 on Ultra?!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
So i guess i found the failing part - i tried my old PSU with only 600W and played RDR2 on Ultra for nearly an hour without any errors with my new build (gpu, cpu etc.). I'm gonna try the new 850W PSU again just to be sure - if it fails again i can definitely say the PSU is damaged or maybe it's just one cable (but got no equipment for cable testing).

do you have any recommendations for a PSU with 750W or above? What about the Asus Rog Strix 750W to complete my new build with another Rog Strix part? I guess 750W should be enough when my 600W could stand RDR2 on Ultra?!

My happiness didn't last long enough - played Mass Effect Andromeda for about 40 Minutes on Ultra and everything seemed smooth and totally ok (still got the old 600W PSU) until i got another unexpected restart with the same error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sat 19.12.2020 20:57:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201219-2057.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8077992372C)
Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFE3038F999010, 0xFFFFF8077992372C, 0x0, 0x2644)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_e44a509137af5639\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79
Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
My happiness didn't last long enough - played Mass Effect Andromeda for about 40 Minutes on Ultra and everything seemed smooth and totally ok (still got the old 600W PSU) until i got another unexpected restart with the same error:

On Sat 19.12.2020 20:57:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201219-2057.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8077992372C)
Bugcheck code: 0x117 (0xFFFFE3038F999010, 0xFFFFF8077992372C, 0x0, 0x2644)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_e44a509137af5639\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79
Bug check description: This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.79 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
Same error as before, I dont think it would be a psu issue and your new one is definitely high quality so I doubt it is a psu issue.

blame Nvidia for their drivers and hopefully wait for a new driver to patch this, you’re not alone many others are experiencing this as well

if you haven’t try your 750ti on your new build and see how everything goes. If the card is at fault I’m not sure if contacting nvidia would be much of a help but it’s worth a try, if it’s the motherboard you could try updating the bios if possible.

maybe do a sfc/scan to see if any files are corrupted.

Dec 18, 2020
Same error as before, I dont think it would be a psu issue and your new one is definitely high quality so I doubt it is a psu issue.

blame Nvidia for their drivers and hopefully wait for a new driver to patch this, you’re not alone many others are experiencing this as well

if you haven’t try your 750ti on your new build and see how everything goes. If the card is at fault I’m not sure if contacting nvidia would be much of a help but it’s worth a try, if it’s the motherboard you could try updating the bios if possible.

maybe do a sfc/scan to see if any files are corrupted.

Now i don't want to hear that i have to wait for NVIDIA :( i'm just curious because of the driver mechanic - does that mean, that every driver since the birth of the 3070 has this damaged coding? I'd think that at least the first driver wouldn't have that prob?! and i already opened a support ticket at NVIDIA - first hint by them was to install geforce experience ....yes ok....

and i've tried my 750Ti and played RDR2 for about 25 minutes without a problem (with the newer PSU). Maybe i should play a little longer to see if the problem occurs again.

I updated BIOS (MB and GPU) and all drivers i found....

i remember back in the days when it was more difficult to build a pc than to ran the right drivers and stuff like that.....thats why my old build lastet for nearly 9 years without any problems (ok one problem - it was old and slow).

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I wouldn’t say all the 30 series cards have this issue but you being one of the unlucky ones to encounter it. Like I said earlier some or in my case a lot of people are having this problem, more strange is that AMD’s new XT cards are having this problem as I encountered one person having a driver issue as well.

I do not know how coding or drivers work, but my theory is that maybe the ray tracing support and all those new features are causing this driver issue, or maybe some games aren’t very happy with the card that’s my theory now.

But I’m not really sure of this theory and I just wanted to bring it out because one person had this driver issue like you both his AMD and Nvidia GPU. The strange issue was that he couldn’t use a card with more than 3gb of VRAM with his motherboard because the issue occurs which is very odd and only experts are able to troubleshoot this...

Dec 18, 2020
I wouldn’t say all the 30 series cards have this issue but you being one of the unlucky ones to encounter it. Like I said earlier some or in my case a lot of people are having this problem, more strange is that AMD’s new XT cards are having this problem as I encountered one person having a driver issue as well.

I do not know how coding or drivers work, but my theory is that maybe the ray tracing support and all those new features are causing this driver issue, or maybe some games aren’t very happy with the card that’s my theory now.

But I’m not really sure of this theory and I just wanted to bring it out because one person had this driver issue like you both his AMD and Nvidia GPU. The strange issue was that he couldn’t use a card with more than 3gb of VRAM with his motherboard because the issue occurs which is very odd and only experts are able to troubleshoot this...

Yeah i thought it would be easier to have a more high-end PC at home. But what should i say - tried everything the internet and some experts suggested and nothing helped.

Opened a support ticket directly at asus - just to know what they say or know. NVIDIA ticket is still not answered.

Anyway - thanks for your answers. Helped me a lot to just talk about the probs.

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Yeah i thought it would be easier to have a more high-end PC at home. But what should i say - tried everything the internet and some experts suggested and nothing helped.

Opened a support ticket directly at asus - just to know what they say or know. NVIDIA ticket is still not answered.

Anyway - thanks for your answers. Helped me a lot to just talk about the probs.

Highly grateful to help you.

well for me having to build a new pc from scratch by upgrading to a newer platform is difficult because prices has raised.

although I’m not thinking about doing that for awhile since my pc is still pretty good even though most of the parts are from 2012-2014.

Motherboard: Intel-DZ77RE-75k
CPU: i7-3770 (Anec Khuler 620)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 970 FE
PSU: Corsair RM750
SSD: Toshiba q Pro 128gb
HDD: Toshiba HDD 5400RPM 500gb
Case: NZXT H510

In total I would’ve spent around 400 dollars but luckily I got some of the parts handed down from my sister and a friend, CPU, PSU, and the case.

The only thing I need to upgrade right now is my GPU since my CPU is still pretty good for most titles of today, and ram is still a lot for today since I don’t use any editing softwares, or do lots of live streams and such. Also I don’t really play demanding titles while only PUBG since it’s still kind of poorly optimized, maybe GTA 5 as well but it’s an old game anyways but most of the times my 970 is holding me back.

Dec 18, 2020
Highly grateful to help you.

well for me having to build a new pc from scratch by upgrading to a newer platform is difficult because prices has raised.

although I’m not thinking about doing that for awhile since my pc is still pretty good even though most of the parts are from 2012-2014.

Motherboard: Intel-DZ77RE-75k
CPU: i7-3770 (Anec Khuler 620)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 1333mhz
GPU: GTX 970 FE
PSU: Corsair RM750
SSD: Toshiba q Pro 128gb
HDD: Toshiba HDD 5400RPM 500gb
Case: NZXT H510

In total I would’ve spent around 400 dollars but luckily I got some of the parts handed down from my sister and a friend, CPU, PSU, and the case.

The only thing I need to upgrade right now is my GPU since my CPU is still pretty good for most titles of today, and ram is still a lot for today since I don’t use any editing softwares, or do lots of live streams and such. Also I don’t really play demanding titles while only PUBG since it’s still kind of poorly optimized, maybe GTA 5 as well but it’s an old game anyways but most of the times my 970 is holding me back.

Yeah prices were higher than normal but GPU was definitely the most expensive here. didn't expect that price and didn't expect problems at these price levels.

by the way - changed the dump creation mode a little bit and got a new dump message today (conclusion - still driver/gpu error):

------------------------------------------------
On Sun 20.12.2020 17:40:45 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201220-1740.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x5E1A)
Bugcheck code: 0x193 (0x80F, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000017, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\watchdog.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Watchdog Driver
Bug check description: A livedump triggered by dxgkrnl occurred. You may have problems with your graphics driver or hardware.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
------------------------------------------------

Dec 18, 2020

NOW i'm really confused - found the hint that i should try to "underclock" my 3070. Normally while gaming gpu clocks up to 2010MHz and stays there (standard - did no OC config). I reduced it to about 1750MHz max.! that was nearly two hours ago and f.e. Mass Effect Andromeda runs on Ultra without any restarts.

Three Questions
  • Why does my 3070 boost to over 2000MHz when it says that it is normally running to max. 1725MHz (MHz see here)?
  • Why does to many MHz kill the driver?
  • Where is it configured that it should boost up to over 2000MHz?
I'll continue gaming and will inform you if this was my temporary solution for my problem.

Dec 18, 2020
NOW i'm really confused - found the hint that i should try to "underclock" my 3070. Normally while gaming gpu clocks up to 2010MHz and stays there (standard - did no OC config). I reduced it to about 1750MHz max.! that was nearly two hours ago and f.e. Mass Effect Andromeda runs on Ultra without any restarts.

Three Questions
  • Why does my 3070 boost to over 2000MHz when it says that it is normally running to max. 1725MHz (MHz see here)?
  • Why does to many MHz kill the driver?
  • Where is it configured that it should boost up to over 2000MHz?
I'll continue gaming and will inform you if this was my temporary solution for my problem.

NEXT

Played for about 3 hours and then suddenly display black and audio signal like unplugging a USB stick.....temperature, watt usage, etc. was really good. trying next steps with new and stronger PSU tomorrow (>750W vs. 600W). we will know more tomorrow.....

Dec 2, 2020
had the same problem: ryzen 5800x / rog strix 3070 / 750w

FIX -> limit the clock with afterburner under 1800 mhz

example

PS. dont forget to thank vendor for making $$$$ garbage...

Dec 18, 2020
Today i tried something completely different - i rebuild my old PC. Specs are devastating:

• CPU - some old i5 (3,4GHz)
  • RAM - DDR3 2x4GB
  • HDD - 160GB stuff
  • MB - AsRock Z77 Pro 3
  • PSU - Sharkoon 600W
  • NO CASE - just fresh air on my table
With that build i set up a fresh windows 10 instance and put my 3070 in. I did no updates - just installed geforce experience with actual NVIDIA driver (460.89), MSI afterburner for tracking and Mass Effect Andromeda for testing. No underclocking or configurations of GPU or CPU Settings.

I let ME Andromeda run (no active gaming) for about 3,5 Hours on Ultra. CPU and RAM on >94% permanent load. GPU on 48% load, permanent 2010MHz core clock. Didn't configure Energy Saving Plans so after 30 Minutes this old "PC" turned off screens - BUT no problem with waking them up. So this PC was STANDARD with just 3 new programs on it.

I was surprised everything worked "fine" so i took a look on everything and on the differences i have between my NEW PC and this sh**house. Only thing i found was differences in Energy Saving plans. The new one is using the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" plan and my old one the max. configureable standard "Balanced". So i googled a little bit and found few issues between this specific AMD energy saving plan and power control of PCIE & CPU. On the same hand there are a few reports about the combo of freezes/black screens/win restarts and this specific balanced plan when you have a stronger GPU.

So today i also put in my new 750W PSU (rog strix) and put back my 3070 into the new PC. Starting to change my energy saving plan to "AMD Ryzen High Performance" and playing ME Andromeda again. Last thing to say - wish me luck :geek: if this energy plan also fails i'll try standard windows plans.

Dec 18, 2020
had the same problem: ryzen 5800x / rog strix 3070 / 750w

FIX -> limit the clock with afterburner under 1800 mhz

example

PS. dont forget to thank vendor for making $$$$ garbage...

Yesterday i limited GPU clock to max. 1750MHz (not via Curve editor - just with putting number in) and yes it worked better but after about 3h i got a black screen with audio like unplugging a USB stick.

Dec 18, 2020
Today i tried something completely different - i rebuild my old PC. Specs are devastating:

• CPU - some old i5 (3,4GHz)
  • RAM - DDR3 2x4GB
  • HDD - 160GB stuff
  • MB - AsRock Z77 Pro 3
  • PSU - Sharkoon 600W
  • NO CASE - just fresh air on my table
With that build i set up a fresh windows 10 instance and put my 3070 in. I did no updates - just installed geforce experience with actual NVIDIA driver (460.89), MSI afterburner for tracking and Mass Effect Andromeda for testing. No underclocking or configurations of GPU or CPU Settings.

I let ME Andromeda run (no active gaming) for about 3,5 Hours on Ultra. CPU and RAM on >94% permanent load. GPU on 48% load, permanent 2010MHz core clock. Didn't configure Energy Saving Plans so after 30 Minutes this old "PC" turned off screens - BUT no problem with waking them up. So this PC was STANDARD with just 3 new programs on it.

I was surprised everything worked "fine" so i took a look on everything and on the differences i have between my NEW PC and this sh**house. Only thing i found was differences in Energy Saving plans. The new one is using the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" plan and my old one the max. configureable standard "Balanced". So i googled a little bit and found few issues between this specific AMD energy saving plan and power control of PCIE & CPU. On the same hand there are a few reports about the combo of freezes/black screens/win restarts and this specific balanced plan when you have a stronger GPU.

So today i also put in my new 750W PSU (rog strix) and put back my 3070 into the new PC. Starting to change my energy saving plan to "AMD Ryzen High Performance" and playing ME Andromeda again. Last thing to say - wish me luck :geek: if this energy plan also fails i'll try standard windows plans.

Tried AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan......RESULT:

On Mon 21.12.2020 20:53:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG\WATCHDOG-20201221-2053.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8019283372C)
Bugcheck code: 0x141 (0xFFFFDD886EBF0010, 0xFFFFF8019283372C, 0x0, 0x21E0)
Error: VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_2635d5c616c804dc\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
Bug check description: This indicates that one of the display engines failed to respond in timely fashion.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

here we go again.......

Dec 18, 2020
No i'm trying what @sviborg suggested - flattened the curve to limit clock at 1755MHz. Some others say you should also set the Power limit on 95%....one step after the other....

Just going to throw this out for consideration; probably won't solve anything, but --- Are you running an M.2 drive as your main or only storage drive? If the Tanscendent drive is an M.2, this Might be a problem with Not enough PCIe lanes.

Dec 18, 2020
Just going to throw this out for consideration; probably won't solve anything, but --- Are you running an M.2 drive as your main or only storage drive? If the Tanscendent drive is an M.2, this Might be a problem with Not enough PCIe lanes.

No - got a normal SATA SSD. checked any failures here too but found nothing (temp, sfc etc.).

Dec 18, 2020
i got semi-good news.....

FIRST
i underclocked on max. 1780MHz and changed my fan cooling settings to higher cooling (GPU included). i got about 71° CPU temp and 61° GPU temp on full load. CPU Cooling unit and GPU cooling plate are very close to each other so i thought maybe heat is still a problem even when the tools say something different. Case was still closed. I played for one hour and got a restart.

SECOND
So i changed the clocking a little bit to max out by 1727MHz and opened the side panel of my case. with opened case i got max 59° CPU temp and 47° GPU temp on full load and say what - i actively played ME Andromeda on ultra for about 2,5 hours without any restarts/bsod/black screens.

FINALLY - the questions are.....
  • distance between CPU cooling unit (sits about 1,5cm above GPU back plate where GPU processor lies) too small = shutdown because of overheating? (see attached pic)
  • are the tool values of temperatures just wrong?
  • was it because of heat or because i underclocked to 1727MHz?
Thats how my current "airflow" works and yes....it's not perfect. Beside thinking about switching to luiqid CPU cooling (for more space and efficiency) should i take the lower front fan up to the top to blow out hot air?

Cooling and Airflow Image

PS: gonna try to set back clocking to original and let the side panel open for better heat transfer.....so i can find out if its really a heat problem.....

Last edited:
Case fans are relatively inexpensive and can even be stripped from an old PC and will be o.k. to use; I would probably get another fan for the top. Install the new fan and play for awhile with the case Closed. If there are no lockups etc. then carefully readjust your underclock upwards towards stock; play some more.
Your cpu cooler is a very good air cooler and your temps tell me it is doing a fine job.
Your temps are not out-of-line but remember that software monitoring is not always 100% accurate.

Dec 18, 2020
Case fans are relatively inexpensive and can even be stripped from an old PC and will be o.k. to use; I would probably get another fan for the top. Install the new fan and play for awhile with the case Closed. If there are no lockups etc. then carefully readjust your underclock upwards towards stock; play some more.
Your cpu cooler is a very good air cooler and your temps tell me it is doing a fine job.
Your temps are not out-of-line but remember that software monitoring is not always 100% accurate.

Some say i should switch from blowing air in to suck hot air out - not to overpressure with stuck airflow but with negative pressure would be better for my compact case.

Status
Not open for further replies.