Jul 3, 2020
Hi i need help to identify the problem, i built my new PC 3 months back to upgrade from my old PC, I upgraded it partially, for the first stage i built everything except the GPU and HDD, still using the old one, sapphire RX 460 2 GB, it works fine no problem at all.

Then i decided to buy RX 5600 XT,
after installing the GPU monitor got no signal, plug back the old GPU to clean uninstall AMD driver and installing the one for RX 5600 XT, it worked, perfectly fine normal.
next day after work boot up my new pc and it got no signal again and as always every LED lit up, every fan spinning.

I found that it will work normally if i keep force restarting it until it got into windows trouble shooter then it can go to desktop.
Here is the pattern:
Cold boot > No signal > manual force shut > MB logo Shown > Freeze >manual force shut > Windows trouble shooter > Restart > MB logo Shown > Desktop > normal

Every boot the pattern is always like that

I also found that sometimes the SSD im using is gone from the boot loader because i keep force restarting it, HDD still shown
what's weird is i can use the system to the fullest after it can be turn on, no problem at all, just the start like an old car
windows can restart PC no problem though.

Its very frustrating to keep force shut down the PC every time.

Does anyone have any idea what happen to my build? Does this common to happen when using RX 5600 XT?

What i tried so far:
  • Clean uninstall graphic driver
  • Tried clean install windows 10
  • Update windows
  • Test with old GPU (system work normally)
  • Clean RAM sticks
  • plug the PSU directly through the wall (usually through voltage regulator) no different
System Spec:
  • Windows 10 pro build 19041
  • Radeon Adrenalin 20.7.1
  • Ryzen 5 2600 stock
  • Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6GB
  • Vbios FA01
  • Asrock B450M Steel legend
  • Bios version P2.90
  • T-force darkZ-alpha 2x8GB XMP profile to 3200Mhz
  • Seasonic Focus GX-550 80+Gold
  • SSD Adata XPG M.2 NVME M.2 120 Gb (system)
  • WD green HDD 1Tb

Solution
Update on what I've tried (August 4, 20)
  • Updated Bios from FA0 to FA1
    • 1st attempt failed because Windows defender didn't trust Bios Updater .exe from gigabyte
      Thank God it still Works fine!!
    • Turned off windows defender smartscreen, then updated bios
    • Boot problem solved, The PC goes into desktop lock screen immediately !!
  • For your information, this issue solved with:
    • Windows update still suspended (build 19041)
    • Adrenalin 20.7.2
    • AMD chipset 2.04.28.626
    • Undervolt GPU via MSI Afterburner
The system tested 3 times on different time so far. works normally
I hope windows update and adrenalin update wont cause any more problem
Jul 22, 2020
I am sorry to hear that you are another victim of this card.

Cold boot > No signal > manual force shut > MB logo Shown > Freeze >manual force shut > Windows trouble shooter > Restart > MB logo Shown > Desktop > normal

It the same thing that happened to me too for weeks. What makes matters worse, is that the card was relatively stable (a few crashes and freezes) for all of April and May (got the card in March).

I tried:
  • Clean windows install
  • Tried on another MB, CPU, RAM,
  • Checked ram
  • Switched power supplies
  • Updated Bios from F60 to F61
  • Updated MB bios
  • Installed drivers without Adrenaline
  • Checked tons of boards and realized its the card, period

The card works for me until I install any driver (old or new), then the whole cold boot cycle begins. Sometimes I even have to repair windows to get it to start. The computer also can't sleep, because it won't wake. I tried changing power settings too.

I have the card back in the box (3 months means no return) and am hoping an F62 bios will be released, or that AMD drivers address this power fault issue. They said in the most recent release that they are investigating some sleep/power on issues.

In the mean time, I went back to my 970 GTX. Old, but at least my computer works perfectly!

Please let me know if you come across any fix that works for you.

g-unit1111

Titan
Hi i need help to identify the problem, i built my new PC 3 months back to upgrade from my old PC, I upgraded it partially, for the first stage i built everything except the GPU and HDD, still using the old one, sapphire RX 460 2 GB, it works fine no problem at all.

Then i decided to buy RX 5600 XT,
after installing the GPU monitor got no signal, plug back the old GPU to clean uninstall AMD driver and installing the one for RX 5600 XT, it worked, perfectly fine normal.
next day after work boot up my new pc and it got no signal again and as always every LED lit up, every fan spinning.

I found that it will work normally if i keep force restarting it until it got into windows trouble shooter then it can go to desktop.
Here is the pattern:

Every boot the pattern is always like that

I also found that sometimes the SSD im using is gone from the boot loader because i keep force restarting it, HDD still shown
what's weird is i can use the system to the fullest after it can be turn on, no problem at all, just the start like an old car
windows can restart PC no problem though.

Its very frustrating to keep force shut down the PC every time.

Does anyone have any idea what happen to my build? Does this common to happen when using RX 5600 XT?

Have you tried running your motherboard on defaults? Because I have a feeling that running your RAM on an XMP profile could be causing the system instability. Try resetting the BIOS to default and see what happens.

If that's not the problem I'd point to a dead RAM module or RAM slot, and of course the only way to check that is if you take each module and test it in each slot.

Jul 3, 2020
I am sorry to hear that you are another victim of this card.

It the same thing that happened to me too for weeks. What makes matters worse, is that the card was relatively stable (a few crashes and freezes) for all of April and May (got the card in March).

I tried:
  • Clean windows install
  • Tried on another MB, CPU, RAM,
  • Checked ram
  • Switched power supplies
  • Updated Bios from F60 to F61
  • Updated MB bios
  • Installed drivers without Adrenaline
  • Checked tons of boards and realized its the card, period
The card works for me until I install any driver (old or new), then the whole cold boot cycle begins. Sometimes I even have to repair windows to get it to start. The computer also can't sleep, because it won't wake. I tried changing power settings too.

I have the card back in the box (3 months means no return) and am hoping an F62 bios will be released, or that AMD drivers address this power fault issue. They said in the most recent release that they are investigating some sleep/power on issues.

In the mean time, I went back to my 970 GTX. Old, but at least my computer works perfectly!

Please let me know if you come across any fix that works for you.
I see... it's not only me who experienced this, sadly so far I haven't found i any solution to this.

Jul 3, 2020
Have you tried running your motherboard on defaults? Because I have a feeling that running your RAM on an XMP profile could be causing the system instability. Try resetting the BIOS to default and see what happens.

If that's not the problem I'd point to a dead RAM module or RAM slot, and of course the only way to check that is if you take each module and test it in each slot.
Thanks for any leads,
Yes I have tried to turn back the XMP to default (auto), the RAM goes back to 2400Mhz if I'm not mistaken, and no difference , also tried swapping RAM slots but still using slot A2-B2 because it's how it should go based on the manual,

I don't want to plug off the CMOS battery as it will void the warranty. But i feel like it's not the cause either.

As I stated that the PC works normal once its on the desktop, RAM problem would have trouble running heavy task, and i already tried gaming and rendering 3D and it's fine, I'm quite sure that the RAM is fine. Do you have any other leads? Thank you

Jul 3, 2020
Update on what I've tried (July 20, 2020)

Lately the system become unstable to run, got VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE amdkmdag.sys BSOD a lot, I take look at the cause of it, apparently AMD driver is the culprit. some of them are dxkernel problem, So far I've tried :
  • Update Adrenalin 20.7.1 to 20.7.2 > didn't help
  • Clean uninstall driver with DDU and AMD cleaner, reinstalling Adrenalin 20.7.1 > didn't help
  • Clean uninstall driver with DDU and AMD cleaner, reinstalling Adrenalin 20.4.2 (WHQL) > didn't help
  • Installing AMD chipsets driver from AMD's website > help for only 1 session
  • Clean uninstall driver with DDU and AMD cleaner, reinstalling driver without adrenalin > worked for 2 days
  • Reinstalling Windows, pending the updates
    install AMD chipsets driver
    install Adrenalin 20.7.2 > it works, so far i haven't got any BSOD (10 days use).
  • But the hard to start problem still persist..
Will keep this thread updated if I do something.

I'm quite sure AMD problem still have issue up until this point, this is very sad, as i already use AMD products for years, but I never experienced inconvenience like this.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Update on what I've tried (August 3, 20)

• Undervolting GPU via MSI After burner
    after some testing and stress test, the settings that works for me are:
    • Core voltage : 870 mV from 969 mV
    • power limit : +0%
    • core clock : 1750 MHz from 1780 MHz
    • memory clock : 1750 MHz
    • custom fan curve
Undervolting helped to reduce Video_TDR_failure in my system, as sometimes sudden spikes of power occurred

Contacted AMD tech support, to do below:
  • Clean boot as there's a suspicion of driver conflict
    Didn't help, the services other than Microsoft in this system are only AMD services (3), Realtek Audio Universal service, Steam client service, turned them off didn't help the boot problem
  • Windows Update still suspended to reduce introducing new problem

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
    • 1st attempt failed because Windows defender didn't trust Bios Updater .exe from gigabyte
    • Adrenalin 20.7.2

Solution
Jul 22, 2020
    • Adrenalin 20.7.2

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up and I'll give it a try.

Sep 3, 2020
    • Adrenalin 20.7.2

Hi, thanks for your help. I have exactly the same issues on my Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6GB. I would like to know:

• How things are going now. Have you still encountered some sorts of problems?
  • What is the precise procedure with which you have definitively solved the problem?
  • My RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury) is not in the QVL of my MOBO (MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX). AMD support told me that this could be a problem because, according to them, problems can often start in RAM and end (with the VGA LED on) in the GPU. Do you think this could really be a problem?
Thanks a lot!

Jul 3, 2020
Hi, thanks for your help. I have exactly the same issues on my Gigabyte RX 5600 XT Gaming OC 6GB. I would like to know:

• How things are going now. Have you still encountered some sorts of problems?
  • What is the precise procedure with which you have definitively solved the problem?
  • My RAM (Kingston HyperX Fury) is not in the QVL of my MOBO (MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX). AMD support told me that this could be a problem because, according to them, problems can often start in RAM and end (with the VGA LED on) in the GPU. Do you think this could really be a problem?
Thanks a lot!

HI, sorry to hear you also have the same problem.
  • No startup problem mention above happened again so far. but game crashed because of graphic device error is still often happened, even with the new radeon update (currently I'm running 20.8.3)
  • I think the post above mention everything, TL;DR pause windows update, use newest Radeon driver, update graphic card bios. Check what type of Gigabyte bios your GPU is using, mine used to be FA0 .
  • Ram possibly be a problem, will never know until you try swapping with another RAM, but generally if your concern is the RAM and the mobo is not compatible, whatever your GPU might not working well as well, IMO. You might need to start a new thread for this.
    Even my RAM is in the QVL of my mobo, but still had this issue.
    And yes AMD tech support also told me about RAM thing, because I'm using XMP profile, but my system work well with my old GPU (RX 460).
Hope it's help.