Question new power supply with older computer

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I just bought a Corsair RM650x power supply (fully modular) for my old Lenovo M90p (5498-RW8) PC. the cable that plugs into the motherboard is different and the cable for the CPU is 6pin whereas my motherboard needs a 4 pin. so the motherboard that came with my PC is too old for this new power supply. do you know if I can buy older cables for this PSU that will work with my motherboard?

yes you need an adapter like this it will plug into your 8-pin +12v and give you the 2x4 pin, use one for your board.

Although, double check the connector again I had thought you didn't need it for that PSU and should already be 2x4 pin that is connected together, you may just need to fiddle with it a bit to get them separated.

May 11, 2019
If your cable is a 6-pin its for a GPU not for a CPU. If it's an 8-pin you can cut it in half(do not recommend) or use an adapter
Edit: Also the mobo in your PC and the PSU connector for the motherboard should be compatible because you should have 1156 motherboard

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok i'm good with the 4pin CPU plug. I just had to split it in half. But the 24pin plug doesn't go in for sure. the plug that came with the PSU is also 24 pin, but the configuration is different than that of the motherboard. I need some kind of adapter or replacement cable. Or it could be proprietary. how do I find out?

May 11, 2019
May 11, 2019
The good guy legit recommended not to cut it in half.
You should've waited a little and bought an adapter instead or something
The good guy legit recommended not to cut it in half.
You should've waited a little and bought an adapter instead or something
He didn't cut it, some psus have the option to split it, but some dont and can be cut(that's why i said it because i didn't check if he had an option to split), and i think his can be split.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u7.jpg

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
update: I don't know what kind of drugs I was on the other day, but that 24pin connector does plug into the motherboard. so everything is fine. The reason why I bought this new PSU is because is because the Lenovo PC only has a 280 watt PSU and I was playing movies on it using plex and the PC would reboot many times throughout the movie. I'm pretty sure the problem was that the PSU was too weak for it. I'm now playing a movie to see if the PC reboots with this new PSU. any predictions?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
after swapping out parts with this PC and my son's PC, i see that the PC only reboots when using my 1050Ti video card and Plex. if I use my son's 1060 video card, its fine. if I use kodi with the 1050Ti video card, it doesn't reboot. only when using 1050Ti and plex. someone said the 1050Ti card is pulling too much power from the motherboard, but then why doesn't it reboot when using kodi?