[SOLVED] New system only posts to bios

Dec 22, 2020
Hi all,

As the title says I have just built a (mostly) new system today. I was very happy to see that it booted up and I went to bios so that I could change a couple options to avoid issues before I updated the drivers. Unfortunately, I realized that it ONLY boots to bios...

The boot menu is empty and has no options, but my ssd does show up in the "storage" section, so it clearly recognizes it. I have tested the connection and turned off "secure boot" and "fast boot", but no dice. Also, the SSD is one of the parts that came from my old build and it worked fine yesterday, so I'm not sure what it could be. Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I wiped and did a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD to prepare for the new build. I'm not sure why it wouldn't boot off the clean install, but that's the only thing I can think of.

My build:
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti 11GB (from old)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Corsair iCUE H115i Pro XT
Asus TUF Gaming X570-plus (WiFi)
Samsung 860 Evo SSD (from old)
32GB DDR4 3200MHz (16Gb is from old, just bought two more sticks)
Fractal Design Meshify 2XL

Solution
Hi Zerriphan.

Windows 10 has to be installed on the new system. Not moved from an old system even if it's a clean install.

Try reinstalling Windows 10 on the SSD while it's in the new system and see if it works.
Dec 22, 2020
Hi Zerriphan.

Windows 10 has to be installed on the new system. Not moved from an old system even if it's a clean install.

Try reinstalling Windows 10 on the SSD while it's in the new system and see if it works.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Since the system won't go past the bios, I am assuming I will need to get Windows 10 on a thumb drive to boot/install off of?

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Since the system won't go past the bios, I am assuming I will need to get Windows 10 on a thumb drive to boot/install off of?

Yeah you will have to create a new media installation but it's easy.

Dec 22, 2020
Yeah you will have to create a new media installation but it's easy.

Alright, thanks for your help! I have booted and installed off of a thumb drive before, but I don't have any other running system right now. I will have to use a friend's. I guess of all of the issues I could have, this is pretty minor! Just feel so stupid for forgetting!

Alright, thanks for your help! I have booted and installed off of a thumb drive before, but I don't have any other running system right now. I will have to use a friend's. I guess of all of the issues I could have, this is pretty minor! Just feel so stupid for forgetting!

Well sometime you can boot from an OS from another system and sometime you can't. To really know if your new system has another issue the first step is to try to reinstall Windows 10 on the actual system you're using and it's recommended to do that on a new system.

There is a good chance that it's that. If it's not I will be here :)