Jun 22, 2020
I have posted about my new build a few times in this subreddit, as I've been having issues. Now my build finally benchmarks where it should according to Userbenchmark, Cinebench, and Heaven. However, now that I'm playing games, I've been having other issues. When I first start playing, games run very smoothly. However, over time, I notice a lot of micro stuttering and choppiness, while the framerate still remains where it is supposed to be. It's the worst with Modern Warfare and Grand Theft Auto V (strangely enough, I've been playing a lot of Red Dead 2, and there is no issue there). I've checked my thermals, and they are fine for my CPU and GPU. My GPU and CPU usage look great. I turned on XMP, so I have 16 gigs of RAM running at 3200 MHz.

Specs:

Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070
Ryzen R7 3700X
Asus Prime X-570-P motherboard (which I have not updated the BIOS for).

I also have my games running on an HDD, if that makes a difference.

I cant even remember everything I have tried to fix this issue, and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. My theories so far is that: It's simply an issue with my monitor (1080p 60 Hz), my RAM kit was a lemon, or my hard drive is too slow.

I'm really stuck, so any help I could get would be really really appreciated!

Jun 22, 2020
I highly suggest you update the BIOS as improvements have been made since release.

Then update your x570 chipset drivers.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

GPU drivers are up to date?

An SDD is a recommended upgrade too.
My GPU drivers are up to date. I've heard that updating bios should be a last resort, so I have not done that yet. I already updated my chipset drivers as well.

Someone told me I should try is reinstalling my drivers, so I'll give that a shot before updating my bios.

Performance loss over time smacks of thermal issues causing throttling.
How did you measure temperatures?

As a quick test, take your case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to thermal fixes.

On rare occasions, an app can have a storage leak, causing ram shortage.
Check task manager ram statistics for any such possibility.

Look to see what any motherboard bios updates might fix.
If it looks like a possible fix, update the bios.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from, depending on the motherboard.
Read your motherboard manual on the process to be prepared.
When you flash the bios, be patient. It will look like nothing is going on for a long time.
Do not interrupt the process.
Perhaps 10 minutes.

My GPU drivers are up to date. I've heard that updating bios should be a last resort, so I have not done that yet. I already updated my chipset drivers as well.

Someone told me I should try is reinstalling my drivers, so I'll give that a shot before updating my bios.

Depending on the version BIOS your running many improvements have been made. You should verify your current version and update as required. "Someone" doesn't understand the improvements made with the newer BIOS for the Ryzen cpu's.

Jun 22, 2020
Performance loss over time smacks of thermal issues causing throttling.
How did you measure temperatures?

As a quick test, take your case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
If that helps, look to thermal fixes.

On rare occasions, an app can have a storage leak, causing ram shortage.
Check task manager ram statistics for any such possibility.

Look to see what any motherboard bios updates might fix.
If it looks like a possible fix, update the bios.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from, depending on the motherboard.
Read your motherboard manual on the process to be prepared.
When you flash the bios, be patient. It will look like nothing is going on for a long time.
Do not interrupt the process.
Perhaps 10 minutes.
I ran heaven for approximately 2 hours and kept a log of my thermals. Nothing above 65 C.

Jun 22, 2020
That is reasonable, the throttle point is around 85c.

Changes over time are usually temperature related.
What is the make/model of your psu?
A cheap psu will only deliver advertised power at room temperatures.
I used this PSU in my last build and it was great. It's an EVGA 750 W Gold

TRENDING THREADS