New Tom’s Forum Announcement & Feedback

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

got it sorted thanks guys.

...but now I have a rogue account and cannot find a way to delete it.
not a pressing matter

Yeah we're going to have to ban you for that extra account. Nothing personal. :p

JK obviously. Glad you're all good.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
I am not sure if the posts are even getting thru. But this thing is broken bad. There is no way to click on the missing "forum" button/menu at the top when using Firefox. Anyone else notice this?

And I keep getting this when posting from Chrome:
Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
This is a scrren shot, and you can't win this "where's waldo .. ahem forum". It is just not there.

Pqvny7T.png

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm using Firefox 65.0.1 with uBlock Origin and Ghostery and nothing is broken? Except some third party image host files in people's sigs not showing but that's Ghostery. The site is completely functional.

D

Deleted member 217926

Ah from the Tom's home page. I believe it will take a bit of time to incorporate the new forums into the old site. It should be back soon.

Until then just use this for a bookmark: https://forums.tomshardware.com/

I've gotten a couple alerts related to threads I'd only read but not interacted with. One came before I'd even read it. It may be due to my having set automatic alerts for my content and that which I've interacted with, but I've since unchecked those options.

Can any of the mods here tell me if not clicking "accept" on that cookie message whilst logging in might be the cause of settings not retaining or any other quirks that the last forum didn't have? There was no cookie acceptance requirement before.

I tend to surf in Incognito mode.

Settings that are configured in your profile should persist, as these shouldn't require cookies. Things like collapsing forum categories on the main page require cookies.
What's weird is the right aside pane being collapsed in my settings never retains, but since setting the left side to stay collapsed in preferences, that one does retain, at least for now anyway. I guess we won't fully know what causes what until the new forum is finalized. One thing I won't compromise on is Incognito mode though. The other forums I surf don't require you to retain cookies just to keep your settings, nor did the last one here. Just seems odd, and maybe more related to ads than anything.

BTW, still getting random alerts that have zero to do with anything I've interacted with, even after turning off both auto alert preferences. Is it possible I'm being alerted of any new threads on the forum I've set to Watch? If so, is there a way to turn that type of alert off?

Last edited:

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I just tried to convert all 15 videos in my TEW Akumu No Upgrades tutorial, and it kept saying only 5 media items can be added. I thought maybe it meant five at a time. So I waited well over 20 minutes, and it still says only 5 can be added. I certainly hope this is on the radar for things that need to be fixed.

I've increased the media embed limit to 15. Hopefully this does not melt the servers.

randomizer

Champion
What's weird is the right aside pane being collapsed in my settings never retains, but since setting the left side to stay collapsed in preferences, that one does retain, at least for now anyway.

I don't think these settings actually work at all. I have both configured to be collapsed by default and yet neither sidebar is collapsed. The profile settings do persist, they just do nothing.

I've increased the media embed limit to 15. Hopefully this does not melt the servers.
With all due respect, as I'm told you're literally the smartest guy on the Tom's crew, only 15 "melting the servers"?

I literally had 114 embedded videos on my GR Wildlands Extreme No HUD/Upgrades tutorial on the previous forum and it never once showed the slightest sign of a problem with posting them or viewing them. If you had meant only so many servers are engaged so far on the new forum, I would have thought you would indicate that, but you made it sound like an inherent limitation with the new software. Hence my jaw dropping to the floor.

Thus I have to think what we've been told of this forum being far more fast and advanced really just means it has more features. I do know from experience the more complex video editors are usually way slower at compressing than the simpler more streamlined tools you can suffice with like VirtualDub and Avidemux. Whether the same is true of forum software, I don't know, but a limit of 15 embedded videos when the last forum easily handled 114, just seems ridiculous.

No offense intended, I'm just failing to grasp how any of this makes sense. When it was said many times not to worry, that all content would eventually be ported over, I assumed it was meant with no significant compromises. This is a significant compromise if you ask me, especially for what's supposed to be far more advanced software.

I don't think these settings actually work at all. I have both configured to be collapsed by default and yet neither sidebar is collapsed. The profile settings do persist, they just do nothing.

For me it's not that they don't do anything, they're just inconsistent as heck. Hopefully it will get sorted out.

Last edited:

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I am in the process of putting together a script for the video tutorial of the new forums and would like anyone in the staff if possible to send me a PM so that we can get in touch through Discord and I can clarify some things and go over the details briefly that I will cover in the video so that everything is cohesive and makes sense. I have plans to have the video fully recorded, edited, and uploaded to YouTube by this weekend.

P.S. - The video tutorial will have both a web browser and a desktop screen cap of my mobile phone and it will include going through the site both on desktop and mobile at the same time for users to be able to see what's different between the two and be able to have a single tutorial video cover both methods of using the site at the same time.

That is strange, it does indeed show up in Chrome.
The "Forum" link on top of the main site has been appearing and disappearing for me in Chrome. I assumed it was related to the update to the new forums, not a browser incompatibility..

It actually began disappearing for me a couple days before the migration to the new forums. The last couple days before the switchover, I had to manually type in https://tomshardware.com/forum to get to the forums. Then it reappeared, then the switch to the new forums. Since then it's disappeared and reappeared at least 3 times for me, though it's been stable and present this entire week. All this is in Chrome (in incognito mode with uBlock Origin).

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The "Forum" link on top of the main site has been appearing and disappearing for me in Chrome. I assumed it was related to the update to the new forums, not a browser incompatibility..

It actually began disappearing for me a couple days before the migration to the new forums. The last couple days before the switchover, I had to manually type in https://tomshardware.com/forum to get to the forums. Then it reappeared, then the switch to the new forums. Since then it's disappeared and reappeared at least 3 times for me, though it's been stable and present this entire week. All this is in Chrome (in incognito mode with uBlock Origin).

Another wonderful reason I try not to use Chrome as my daily browser. It's compatibility with many sites is just sub-par.
Firefox for life baby.

I still have to use it for Google Drive and YouTube video uploads though cuz Google are butt faces and make it really slow to upload/download from Drive and upload to YT on any browser but their own, and to make things worse, for a while uploads and downloads were at a crawl on Drive using their own browser and I had to actually use Firefox just to upload/download at about 8.5 megabytes per second (btw, my internet is capable of 18.5 megabytes per second)

Don't get me wrong, when Chrome works it works really well, it's just sad that it doesn't work half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.