New working/programming/school laptop

Erki11

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Hi please can you help me choose new laptop? I need it for programming, school and work, so main requirements are good cpu, ram and fast hard drive.

1. What is your budget?
maximum around 800€

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920*1280

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable, lighter the better

5. How much battery life do you need?
just normal battery, nothing too crazy

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
definitelly not for games, I have desktop for games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
programming, school, work

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256gb seems enough, everything big I store on desktop

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://www.alza.sk/EN/laptops/18842920.htm

my pick for now is this one https://www.alza.sk/lenovo-ideapad-s540-15iml-mineral-grey-metallic-d5736133.htm?visited=1

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
atleast 4-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
not optical drive but I need memory card reader

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I would like to avoid acer

13. What country do you live in?
Slovakia

Ralston18

Titan
Start here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-laptops

Very likely that you will need to reduce the "keep" time for any number of reasons. Overall most products do not last as long as we would like due to designed EOL (End of Life). Being careful helps but in the long run there will be some end. Unfortunately usually sooner rather than later.

Plus things are changing faster and faster and current world events indicate that almost all long term plans will become moot much more quickly.

Get what you need the most now and for the immediate future. Bump your budget upward if at all possible.

Also: fast hard drive. Look for SSD or M2.

Reactions: Erki11

Erki11

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Start here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-laptops

Very likely that you will need to reduce the "keep" time for any number of reasons. Overall most products do not last as long as we would like due to designed EOL (End of Life). Being careful helps but in the long run there will be some end. Unfortunately usually sooner rather than later.

Plus things are changing faster and faster and current world events indicate that almost all long term plans will become moot much more quickly.

Get what you need the most now and for the immediate future. Bump your budget upward if at all possible.

Also: fast hard drive. Look for SSD or M2.

Im okey if keep time would be lover, I had lenovo laptop for almost 4 years now and it is starting to have alot of problems, that is the reason Im searching for new one.

Also my main pc is desktop, laptop is used only in school or when I travel from/to school/work. nothing too crazy, I always transfer my codes to desktop and 80% of work is done there.
One important question that I forget to ask is about 13.3 inch laptops. Is 13.3 inch screen too small compared to 15.6? I would like to check it in store but it is not possible in this situation, every electronic store is closed now.

Ralston18

Titan
Larger screens have benefits especially with respect to reducing eye strain etc.. Or working with others who also need to see the screen.

What size screen did your Lenovo laptop have?

If you liked that screen size stay with that size or, if necessary go a bit larger.

Hopefully laptop weight is probably not a problem for you. Even with a few extra ounces....