[SOLVED] Newly built PC making strange cricket and humming noises after 3 months of usee.

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Hello.

3 months ago I built my first gaming pc and I'm has been great. However, this week its started to make a lot of strange noises.

Firstly, the fans have gone louder.. even on less demanding games, it seems to be the front fans that have changed. They were prebuilt with my phanteks eclipse case.

There is also a faint electrical cricket noise coming from my motherboard section. When putting my ear to back of case it's from there, it doesn't seem to be coil whine as its not a constant whine.

I have cleaned my pc and issue still persists, if it is normal I'll be fine but I'm just concerned it could be something that will potentially damage the motherboard.

RTX3070ti
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Corsair H60 liquid cooler

Last edited:
Solution
Which fan?

Use a bright flashlight to carefully inspect that fan. Look for signs of debris, damage, cables touching.

Does the fan vibrate or otherwise wiggle about? Do the blades tap/touch the housing?

You may be able to reduce the noise by simply tightening the fan screws - do so very gently so the screws are just snug.

How did you clean the fan(s)? Did you use canned air and blast the fan blades until they spun? If so, the bearings may be damaged or the blades now out of balance.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to record and post that "cricket noise"?

Post via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to help pinpoint the source of the noise. One end to your ear and the other end carefully "focused" around the inside of the case.

Oct 30, 2021
Are the temps normal id run monitor software to see if the temps are elevated what brand of mb are you using , model. ?

Hard drives make clicking noises are you using a ssd or or an old school drive.?

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Are the temps normal id run monitor software to see if the temps are elevated what brand of mb are you using , model. ?

Hard drives make clicking noises are you using a ssd or or an old school drive.?

Temps are great. Barely hitting 70c when gaming and my cpu is a Ryzen 7 3700x. I am using an M.2 SSD. My motherboard is Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC.

Blavikn

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Are you able to record and post that "cricket noise"?

Post via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to help pinpoint the source of the noise. One end to your ear and the other end carefully "focused" around the inside of the case.

This was 2 days ago before I cleaned my PC and re-arranged some cables. The loud buzz escalates as the fan goes louder too.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LuQqh4M

Ralston18

Titan
Which fan?

Use a bright flashlight to carefully inspect that fan. Look for signs of debris, damage, cables touching.

Does the fan vibrate or otherwise wiggle about? Do the blades tap/touch the housing?

You may be able to reduce the noise by simply tightening the fan screws - do so very gently so the screws are just snug.

How did you clean the fan(s)? Did you use canned air and blast the fan blades until they spun? If so, the bearings may be damaged or the blades now out of balance.

Solution