parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
does anyone have the nextherm a/c'd case? if so how is it, does it keep things cool? i read the review on tomshardware but i dont remember it showing how much it cooled the system i just recall the electricity bill going up.. is it good for overclocking? was it worth the 300 dollar price tag :X

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I don't think it would be. From what I have seen of the reviews of the case it only drops the case temp by only 3-4C degrees. Your money would be better spent on water cooling.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i wasnt really planning on buying it unless it dropped over 20C, and id only do it over watercooling cause watercooling is a pain and u cant move it without refilling and everything... i guess air cooling ti is :p

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well thats what window a/c's do and it seems to keep my room pretty cool in the summer i tohught it may have the same effect :) but 200 for a case with an airconditior is a bit steep... maybe if it was 100 with no psu id buy it... until then air cooling it is

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I wouldn't even consider it an air conditioner even though in a sense thats the function it performs. It doesn't have a condenser or use any form of refrigerant. The amount of change in degrees that it does drop the ambient temp does not even begin to justify the power consumption.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well i dont have to pay for the electric bill but my parents would prob be pissed to know that my computer has AC in it... (not true AC..) but since it only drops the temp a max of 5C thats pointless to have, considering i dont overclock and really have no intention to... maybe video card.. btw how can you find temps of a video card? i have x700pro...

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Nvidia has theirs in the display setting tab. As for ati I really couldn't tell you. Haven't used an ATI card for a couple years now.

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Just did a quick search and the atitool utility used for overclocking has temp monitoring and fan speed monitoring. May be worth looking into.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
oh well there it is, ive had ati tool but u have to turn on the sensor thing... its running at 35/ 32C cooler than my cpu... im gonna try to push this card :p maybe 100mhz just to be safe... im just wondering though... i have an agp card... and i just turned on pci write because my wireless was algging and i thought that may be why... could that be why? and if not should i have pci write off?

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Actually pci write acts as a buffer between the cpu and pci bus. Having it enabled is a positive although I could not tell you how much of a benefit you actual get from having it enabled. As far as it having any relation to the lag you are experiencing on WLAN I really couldn't say. There could be a number of things to effect that.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
yea true but ive connected to ethernet and it doesnt lag at all so my guess is either (signal is "excellent") neighbors intruding somehow... or xfire is downloading stuff in backround (its known to do that...)

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
the thing is i cant test either... i duno how to do stuff with routers and xfire is always running even when its closed... way to test to see if it is if u have it go into a game and press "scroll lock + x" and itll come up with that screen... that means that thep rogram is STILL IN MEMORY even when it was NEVER opened.. i doubt uninstalling it will even get rid of that..

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
There is a program called DU Meter that will help you monitor any network activity on your computer. It will tell you the amount of bandwidth coming in and out if your interested. Here is a link to the site http://www.dumeter.com/ .