Question NH-D15 underperforming?

Jun 24, 2024
Hello,
Today I mounted an NH-D15 with a single fan in the middle on my Ryzen R7 5800 X3D. I applied thermal grizzly kryonaut onto the CPU as it's what I had lying around.
The Noctua manual said to apply the paste to a AM-4 CPU using a five-dot pattern with one larger dot in the middle. However, I applied the paste manually with a spatula over the whole CPU as it's what thermal grizzly recommends for that specific paste, and what I heard on this forum is correct for higher density pastes such as kryonaut.
I also used a paper towel for cleaning up the heatsink and the cpu as I did not have a good cloth at hand, and this might've introduced particles into the system, I did however visually check it and it looked ok.

The temps are "Fine" meaning 40-50C idle and 75-85C under load, BUT I do have spikes up to 90C which is a thermal throttle/limit/cutoff on this particular processor. The cooler is in my opinion not warm enough (it is somewhat warm) to the touch, and much colder than the GPU cooler.
I am wondering what this might be caused by, and considering options like:

• Uneven mounting pressure (I did the screws according to the Noctua manual, until I met resistance)
  • Bad thermal paste distribution (Should I have done it as the Noctua manual said?)
  • Uncured thermal paste/bad paste?
Anyhow, I do have Arctic MX-4 which just arrived, so if that might help I could just change the grizzly for that. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2024
Before doing anything else, make sure you have the proper spacers in use and that you have fully tightened the cooler to the CPU.

Are you overclocking your CPU?
I am using the spacers (you mean the gray plastic supports?) that were the only ones included with the mounting kit NM-AM5/4-MP83 which was the one dedicated for my socket and CPU cooler model. I tightened both the mounting kit screws and the cooler screws according to cooler manufacturer spec (it says 0.6Nm) but as I don't have a torque wrench, I did it according to the manual (tighten manually until resistance is met).

Not doing OCing at the moment but may consider it if temps are good enough.

Jun 24, 2024
Tightened until I no longer could, idle now is 39-40C, very stable.
Under load the temperature is stable around 60-70C, with the median being 64C

Huh, they only had like 1/8th rotation left to go, I did not expect that to do anything honestly

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS