Question No 7.1 virtual surround option available for my new 7.1 surround headphones ??

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
What exact headphones?

Nearly all surround sound headphones are actually just stereo with virtual/modified sound to try and trick the ear into believing it’s directional.
Commander G936N...they are not very popular but the quality is excellent...also you missed my point - there NEEDS to be an option for 7.1 virtual surround - it only shows me only stereo

Commander G936N...they are not very popular but the quality is excellent...also you missed my point - there NEEDS to be an option for 7.1 virtual surround - it only shows me only stereo
I did not miss the point. You will need the right driver and possibly additional software to achieve 7.1 from the USB. With less popular brands it is less likely 7.1 will be recognised automatically.

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
I did not miss the point. You will need the right driver and possibly additional software to achieve 7.1 from the USB. With less popular brands it is less likely 7.1 will be recognised automatically.
The brand says that that the headset comes with drivers built in - there are no drivers available\no need to update

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
As I expected

“ Driver
Almost Somic gaming headsets equipped with USB sound cards and a virtual 7.1, so it is necessary to install the driver(download the G936 driver from Somic official website).”

From the first review I looked at https://www.gamernecessary.com/somic-g936-commander-gaming-headset-review/

Have you read the manual?
Ok here is the site - https://www.itsomic.com/SOMIC-G936N...phones-for-PUBG-LOL-PS4-PC-Games-p800189.html
when i click on the "driver download" tab i get a mess\gibberish

Jan 7, 2021
I....dont really know what you mean ? If by spatial you mean Windows sonic for headphones then no
Here's the thing. The headphones do not create the surround effect. That is either hardware generated by a sound card or emulated via software. So something needs to either be installed or the there is a driver issue as pointed out by sizzling.

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
Jan 7, 2021
The headset comes with a sound card attached :
https://us03-imgcdn.ymcart.com/5517...ent,1/resize,m_lfit,w_1500,h_1500/format,webp

so...no drivers needed ?
If you are referring to the audio control switch attached to the cable that's not a sound card. These days those are integrated into the motherboard. Sometimes you can get a breakout box but that's become relatively uncommon. The only reason they say no drivers is to support a plug and play standard which relies on the basic driver from microsoft or on microsoft updates finding a correct driver.

TL; DR - you still need a driver or other software for 7.1 emulation.

Please understand though the best you will ever get from a pair of headphones is augmented surround BECAUSE headphones only have two speakers left and right. 7.1 refers to 7 seperate speakers each with their independent channel and a subwoofer.

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
If you are referring to the audio control switch attached to the cable that's not a sound card. These days those are integrated into the motherboard. Sometimes you can get a breakout box but that's become relatively uncommon. The only reason they say no drivers is to support a plug and play standard which relies on the basic driver from microsoft or on microsoft updates finding a correct driver.

TL; DR - you still need a driver or other software for 7.1 emulation.

Please understand though the best you will ever get from a pair of headphones is augmented surround BECAUSE headphones only have two speakers left and right. 7.1 refers to 7 seperate speakers each with their independent channel and a subwoofer.
I know..but virtual surround is better than none\basic stereo ....how come it works in the youtube video if i didnt download any driver ? :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFOJRyNi_I

Jan 7, 2021
I know..but virtual surround is better than none\basic stereo ....how come it works in the youtube video if i didnt download any driver ? :
Well that's an audio trick. You're only hearing stereo but they are tricking your ears using distance to make it seem like surround. As I mentioned you can EMULATE surround but it's not Actually surround. All that matters if you are happy with how it sounds to you :)

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
Well that's an audio trick. You're only hearing stereo but they are tricking your ears using distance to make it seem like surround. As I mentioned you can EMULATE surround but it's not Actually surround. All that matters if you are happy with how it sounds to you :)
Im very lost right now.....is the 'virtual sarround' im hearing in the video indicates its working on my headset ? Yes yes i know its not real 7.1 i already knew it before I bought it . But its still emulated. In the end of the day i just want to know one thing - are my headphones working properly ?

Jan 7, 2021
Im very lost right now.....is the 'virtual sarround' im hearing in the video indicates its working on my headset ? Yes yes i know its not real 7.1 i already knew it before I bought it . But its still emulated. In the end of the day i just want to know one thing - are my headphones working properly ?
If you heard the sounds move from left to right and back then you're good to go. There is a possibility you can enhance that with software but that would need some research on your end.

maxim45001

Reputable
Oct 20, 2018
Try the link I sent, scroll down to download trial. I know THX is different but it would give you an idea of what the headphones would sound like with the enhanced software.
well just like in the video i shared the sarround seems to work in the app too ..... so....there is nothing to worry about for me ?