KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
I'm running out of ideas on this one. I just purchased a few new parts to finally update my old gaming computer. Ended up swapping out the motherboard, cpu and ram. Just to be clear the computer did run fine before the changes.

At first nothing would happen when I tried to turn it on, but I found out that my case has a 2 pin power connector while the new mobo header has a 3 pin. I found where to move the pin to on the new one, but when I press the power button the psu just gives a single click then nothing happens.
I know the mobo is getting power because the leds are on. I know the psu works because I can hook it up to my old mobo sitting on some cardboard and it works. I have tried taking all the parts back off and same single click with no sata, gpu, single ram or no ram. At this point not sure where to go from here since the old 3 parts aren't compatible with the new ones to test.

Build:
(New) Mobo- Asus ROG Strix Z490-H Gaming
(New) CPU- Intel i5 10600K
(New) RAM- Patriot Viper Steel 2x8 DDR4 4400 MHz
GPU- MSI Radeon RX580
PSU- Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050w
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Case- Cooler Master Cosmos II
I don't think the hard drives are important but the main is an OCZ Vertex 250 SSD then for storage a 2TB Firecuda, 2TB Western Digital Black and a 2TB Western Digital Blue.

The replaced parts were:
(Old) Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme
(Old) CPU- Intel i7 3930K
(Old) Ram- Kingston Hyper X 4x4 DDR3

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Ok an update. I kept messing with it, disconnected everything again then tried reconnecting everything 1 by 1. I have been able to get it to boot up now, but with gradual issues I've been addressing.

First it was turning on then giving a solid light for vga along with 1 long and 3 short beeps. According to the book that is no vga detected. So I disconnected the gpu and just plugged a display port into the mobo input. That got it to boot to bios, but it didn't recognize anything plugged into the sata ports so it couldn't boot.

Turning on legacy compatability seemed to fix that, it recognizes the sata, but strangely doesn't see the ssd with the os as a boot option. I can however manually select it to boot from there. Strange part is after it boots resolution goes wonky and both the keyboard and mouse turn off. Unplugging and plugging them back in gets the keyboard leds on, but still won't work, mouse does nothing and they both worked in bios.

I shut it down hooked back up the gpu and it powered up, but monitor wouldn't come on. Moved the gpu to another slot and we have boot and picture, but again once I get past bios to booting Windows the keyboard and mouse turn off.

So making progress, but strange issues.

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
You replaced the motherboard.
You can not expect windows to just boot and run fine.
Your best option is to remove all drives except one.
Install windows new on this drive.
It will erase everything on the drive that was on it .
Now everything will run fine.
Not saying that is a bad idea, but I can't do that without a working mouse or keyboard. I can use them fine in the bios to select my instal disk to boot from, but once Windows starts to bring up the disk options and ask what to do the mouse and keyboard both shut down so I can't select to repair, reinstall or anything else.

I have made sure that legacy usb support is turned on, I have tried the 3.2, 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the case front panel and the rear motherboard panel.

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
An update to this. The system now turns on and boots up fine every time, but I am still unable to log in since the mouse and keyboard don't work.
With some digging it looks like this may be a driver problem since the computer is running Windows 7 still. The new mobo is designed around USB 3.2 which 7 doesn't natively support, meaning it just needs to download drivers.
I thought maybe I could just use the 2.0 ports, but from what I've read the default coding for those still registers as 3.0. I had hoped since my case has 3.0 ports built in it would push through, but thus far the answer seems to be no.

Next plan was maybe using the bios to change how ports are read, but the rog bios doesn't seem to have the option to make them read as the old ps/2. The only choice is to disable the XHCI hand-off. Doing this made it so the mouse and keyboard no longer lose power when Windows boots, but they still don't work.

I am so close at this point and getting stopped by what I'm guessing to just be drivers. The last thing I can think would be to buy a Windows 10 bootable disc and using that as if the computer had no OS.
Do you folks think this would work or can you come up with any other possible solution?

DSzymborski

Titan
I am so close at this point and getting stopped by what I'm guessing to just be drivers. The last thing I can think would be to buy a Windows 10 bootable disc and using that as if the computer had no OS.
Do you folks think this would work or can you come up with any other possible solution?

A full wipe of the OS drive and full installation of Windows 10 was always what should have been done in the first place.

Also be forewarned you may have issues running the RAM at that clock speed. 4400 RAM for an Intel build is a curious choice!

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
A full wipe of the OS drive and full installation of Windows 10 was always what should have been done in the first place.

Also be forewarned you may have issues running the RAM at that clock speed. 4400 RAM for an Intel build is a curious choice!
I originally attempted to update to Windows 10 with the original build, but encountered multiple errors to which Microsoft support claimed were hardware problems despite the computer running fine with Windows 7. So the plan was to replace parts that needed updated anyways then try the Windows 10 update again. That kind of fell through with the mouse and keyboard not responding. Which they still don't. I even updated the bios to the latest version and no go. From what I have found a previous version of the bios had an option to simulate the keyboard and mouse as ps/2, but looks like it was added in version 0801 then by 0901 which was the default version on this mobo it was taken away. Which really just frustrates me farther that they had the exact option I need in there previously.

As for the ram this set was one of the highest recommended on multiple sites for this processor. I ignored a few of the others because of all the leds on them.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
you have to slipstream usb drivers in windows 7 installation disk then make the usb of that iso.
But your motherboard may be not support windows 7 as it doesn't have driver on website for win 7.
So a fresh windows 10 installation is good.

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
Well I took the advice everyone gave and tried to just jump to an install of Windows 10. This is still not possible because I have to be able to use either a mouse or keyboard to select options in the installer. Which I can't do since they both stop working after leaving the bios. So I am still stuck at the same point unless I can find a way to make the mouse and keyboard work outside the bios.

KCpanzer

Reputable
Feb 15, 2017
I am using both wired mouse and keyboard. I have tried them in the 3.2, 3.0 and 2.0 usb slots. I have also tried setting the bios settings to default. They both work fine in the bios, but stop after I leave it.