Question No sound after reseating GPU.

Schexsse

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
While I was playing a game earlier, I noticed a case fan cable was stuck slightly into a fan on my gpu, preventing it from spinning. I turned off my pc, removed the graphics card, ensured the cable would no longer interfere, and reinstalled the graphics card. Upon booting my pc, I no longer have sound from either the front or back panel audio ports. Whenever audio is supposed to begin I hear a slight pop sound in the headphones, but no audio actually comes through. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Realtek multiple times to no avail, ensured my motherboard's audio cable is connected (although with no sound out of rear panel ports I doubt that was the issue), and have tested the audio through my USB Yeti Nano, through which I can get sound, however the plug for my headphones is too large for this to be a permanent solution. What can I do to remedy this issue?

For reference, I have an AsRock Radeon RX 6700XT, an AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3600x, and 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz RGB ram.

Additionally, I followed this guide (https://www.techwalla.com/articles/my-realtek-hd-audio-driver-wont-install) to a tee for uninstalling possibly conflicting audio drivers while in safe mode. After rebooting out of safe mode, all uninstalled drivers had returned, and realtek had been mysteriously uninstalled again.
Are you sure sound is set for MB sound and not for GPU ?
For drivers, uninstall them using DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html with the setting not let windows update them automatically.

Schexsse

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
Are you sure sound is set for MB sound and not for GPU ?
For drivers, uninstall them using DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html with the setting not let windows update them automatically.
Yes, I've checked and double checked that device using the realtek drivers would be my headphones, although windows sound settings is simply recognizing them as "speakers" as opposed to my specific headphones. I'm unsure if its always been this way or only since this all started.

Here's a screenshot of the playback tab for reference. I'm not sure why there's so many duplicate AMD audio driver instances, maybe that's part of the problem?
unknown.png

Yes, I've checked and double checked that device using the realtek drivers would be my headphones, although windows sound settings is simply recognizing them as "speakers" as opposed to my specific headphones. I'm unsure if its always been this way or only since this all started.

Here's a screenshot of the playback tab for reference. I'm not sure why there's so many duplicate AMD audio driver instances, maybe that's part of the problem?
unknown.png
Those AMD drivers are residue from changing and updating GPU drivers. Should make no difference.

Schexsse

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
Those AMD drivers are residue from changing and updating GPU drivers. Should make no difference.
Alright, I'll give uninstalling the graphics drivers a shot then. Hopefully that works, but I've been having some other weird issues lately that I've traced mostly back to my motherboard and I think it may just be on its last legs, unfortunately.

Schexsse

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
Alright, I'll give uninstalling the graphics drivers a shot then. Hopefully that works, but I've been having some other weird issues lately that I've traced mostly back to my motherboard and I think it may just be on its last legs, unfortunately.
I used DDU to uninstall and restart my pc, when I restarted I reinstalled Realtek and restarted again. Still no sound other than small pops/staticy sounds in my headphones.

Jun 8, 2022
Do you have any updates regarding this issue? Ive had the same issue for the past couple of days now and tried everything uninstalling reinstalling drivers, enabling and disabling services and everything. i can only get sound when i pick the sound to come from the tv through the hdmi other than that the headphones are detected but when i choose them they dont make any sound. ive tried other headphones aswell to make sure and tried the same headphones on another pc and they work perfectly fine.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Background: most video cards now can output sound on their HDMI sockets to feed audio to the monitor connected there, so you can use the speakers in the monitor. There has never been any standard for how a mobo audio system can feed its output though the PCIe slots to a video card for this. So virtually all video cards have their own audio output chip. When you have such a card, your computer has TWO sound output systems. As the user, you can choose whether the sound is put out on the HDMI cable to your monitor, or via the front and rear panel jacks from your mobo audio chip. But Windows can only use ONE audio output system at a time, and you have to make that setting.

I expect what happened is that your work with the video card was detected to indicate that a NEW video card had just been installed. The common Install routines will ensure that the drivers for that card's audio system are installed, AND change how Windows is set to send signals out from the HDMI port, and NOT from your rear panel mobo system.

What to do? First go into Device Manager and look at the Sound Controllers item list. You should see TWO at least - the Realtek system on your mobo, and another named like your video card. Verify that there is NOT a yellow caution triangle next to either of them. That triangle would indicate a driver problem that needs to be fixed. With NO such flag, exit from Device Manager.

Next, in the little search window at bottom left type Sounds. In the resulting window scroll down to choose Sound Control Panel and you get to that screen in your post of Sept 5, which has tabs across the top for Playback and Recording devices. For EACH of those tabs you see a list of options, and at bottom there is a "Set Default" box to click on. Use that to see what is set currently, and I expect it is the video card output system. Set that instead to your mobo Realtek system. Do the same for both Playback and Recording tabs, then back out. Your system should now play through the front panel and back panel jacks.

Reactions: Richj444

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
While I was playing a game earlier, I noticed a case fan cable was stuck slightly into a fan on my gpu, preventing it from spinning. I turned off my pc, removed the graphics card, ensured the cable would no longer interfere, and reinstalled the graphics card. Upon booting my pc, I no longer have sound from either the front or back panel audio ports. Whenever audio is supposed to begin I hear a slight pop sound in the headphones, but no audio actually comes through. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Realtek multiple times to no avail, ensured my motherboard's audio cable is connected (although with no sound out of rear panel ports I doubt that was the issue), and have tested the audio through my USB Yeti Nano, through which I can get sound, however the plug for my headphones is too large for this to be a permanent solution. What can I do to remedy this issue?

For reference, I have an AsRock Radeon RX 6700XT, an AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3600x, and 32gb of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz RGB ram.
It might be a driver issue, Install all the drivers from the ground up and after couple of restarts it will back to normal. when installing unplug all the audio accessories.