Question No sound from Display Port on GPU, MB Display Port has audio. Help?

Aug 7, 2024
1st off, please forgive me if this isn't the right subsection and feel free to move it if it isn't.

I built my new pc last week. Everything is working correctly except that I have no audio when trying to use my monitor speakers using Display Port.

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QR
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
MB: ASUS B650-E TUF Gaming WiFi AMD AM5 ATX
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Default audio device is set to the 3.5mm jack. Windows detects 2 HDMI ports as audio devices, but not the display port. I am unsure if these are the HDMI on the monitor, GPU or the MB.
9dShoGZ.png

Sound from the monitor works when Display Port is plugged into the motherboard, or when I am using headphones. (And yes I did make sure to buy a monitor with speakers.)
I made sure to download all the drivers I could think of, but its possible I missed one.

Help would be greatly appreciated. While this is mainly a gaming machine, I would also like to relax and watch youtube without having to wear headphones all the time.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Default audio device is set to the 3.5mm jack. Windows detects 2 HDMI ports as audio devices, but not the display port

Displayport carries digital audio much like Hdmi so I'd think the top two in playback devices are for each. Connect a Hdmi cable and that should narrow down which of those two is DP.

Then try disable audio in monitor osd, connect displayport to gpu then enable monitor audio again.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
Displayport carries digital audio much like Hdmi so I'd think the top two in playback devices are for each. Connect a Hdmi cable and that should narrow down which of those two is DP.

Then try disable audio in monitor osd, connect displayport to gpu then enable monitor audio again.
I unplugged Display Port and connected with HDMI on the GPU. Neither device lit up and still no audio. Plugging HDMI into MB lights up 1st audio device, plugging in Display Port on MB lights up the 2nd.
So essentially the GPU isn't being detected as an audio device at all?

Also tried reinstalling the GPU's drivers with no luck. The audio settings on my monitor's OSD are greyed out and not selectable.

Last edited: