Question No Video After New Thermal Paste Application

Jul 22, 2019
Hi all,

I've had an issue with my Gpu and really hoping I can find some advice here. So earlier today I received a used Vega 64 GPU. All was going well but the thermals were a bit high in the benchmarks I ran. I decided to swap around the thermal paste/pads to help with this.

I disassembled the card, used isopropyl alcohol to remove the old (fairly poor condition) paste as best I could, applied cryonaut paste/pads then reassembled however I now have no output.

I have had a Gpu fry on me before but the Mobo has always bleeded to indicate that there is no gpu installed. At the moment, the pc powers on fine and makes it to what I can guess is the log on screen without any bleeps. The fans still turn on the gpu itself and I can feel that the backplate is warm over the indicating power delivery.

I have tried 2 monitors, 2 Hdmi cables and various ports with no luck. I have disassembled the card 3 times now with lighter mounting pressure to check contact but same result. I had a concern that the new pads were slightly thinner than the old ones so I reinstalled the old pads on the third attempt to confirm this wasn't the issue and still no output. I have also cleared CMOS and used the CFG jumper on the Mobo and still no output. I installed an old gpu on the slot and it works fine so I'm confident that the card is the issue. I'm waiting on a display port adapter arriving so will try that tomorrow but I'm about out of ideas and ready to give up.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Jul 22, 2019
Do you know if putting the card in the oven would be an idea? At this point I don't have much to loose and I've heard this may work on some cards.

I'm beginning to think that when I was remounting the heatsink I may have applied too much pressure.