[SOLVED] No video output from new video card to a computer where the onboard video does not work

Mar 22, 2020
Pretty new to computer repair trying to help a buddy out...

There is no video output to monitor from the computer. The computer is connected to the monitor through VGA cable. Tested VGA cable with a working computer. The monitor is able to display screen so I know the monitor and the cable aren't the issues. I suspected it may be a faulty video card. The video card is integrated with the motherboard.

I bought a video card to see if that was the issue. Unable to get video output to the monitor while plugged into the video card. The video card has an HDMI port, VGA, and DVI port. Tried all three, same issue. I made sure the video card is seated correctly. The video card does not have any 6 or 8 pin slots to connect to the power supply. Read some posts that suggest disabling the onboard GPU through in Windows or in BIOS settings, but unable to get any video output. Tried flashing the BIOS, same issue.

The computer is an HP Pavilion p6310y Desktop PC
Video driver is an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 710 1GB DDR3

Unable to get video output from the new video card or integrated video card.

Solution
Do you have more then one RAM module installed?

Remove the RAM and clean the motherboard slots as well as the module contacts. In case you have more than one RAM module, test them individually and also test them in different slots on the motherboard... this way you'll rule out a faulty RAM module or motherboard slot.

Also, make sure you're testing on the integrated GPU..

Remove the RAM and clean the motherboard slots as well as the module contacts. In case you have more than one RAM module, test them individually and also test them in different slots on the motherboard... this way you'll rule out a faulty RAM module or motherboard slot.

Reactions: nrsource
Solution
Mar 22, 2020

Thanks! That worked. I just cleaned the slots on the motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS