GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
Hello,

So my pc started restarting without me asking it to, there was no clear pattern as to why. I ran the following commands: sfc/scannow and chkdsk C: /r these showed that my drive where windows was installed on was damaged or corrupted. I ordered a new drive and tried to install windows on it but whenever I got to the first screen (logo and loading dots) it would restart. This went into a non stop cycle if I didnt shut it off. I tried a bios update to no avail. I decided that It was probably a mobo issue and I bought a new mobo of the same model. It didn't change anything. I made a breakthrough when I unplugged the case electronics and I managed to get to the "select drive to install windows on" phase of the set up before it restarted... again.
After that I have not made it further than the loading screen. I bought new RAM, which overall didn't change anything.
I am able to make it into bios without a problem. I would be forever thankful for any help I could get with this.
Here are my specs in case they help:
mobo: msi B450 Tomahawk Max
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-core
gpu: TUF Gaming GTX 1660
psu: Corsair cx450M
ram: Corsair Vengance lpx DDR4 3200Mhz 2x8gb

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
what the storage? latest motherboard bios?
test with a different psu?
1x Toshiba PC P300 1tb (NEW)
1x Seagate Barracude 1tb (Games)
1x Crucial BX500 2.5 SSD 240GB (where windows was installed (damaged, not being used))

Bios is on the latest version

I haven't tried with a new PSU, I will try to borrow one if not then buy a new one.

Thanks for the Help

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
using standoff on the case to motherboard?
only plug in the new PC p300 to when installing windows
make the the modular psu cable is plugin tight
Currently I have the components outside the case.
I tried again It didn't change anything.
The weird thing is that it isn't completely shutting off when restarting. The cpu/gpu fans are always spinning throughout the restart cycle and the mobo lights are on. Could it be a faulty PSU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have everything out. So unplug everything, and I mean Everything except 1 stick of ram in A2 slot, cpu, cpu cooler, gpu and the 2x power cables for gpu and motherboard. No monitor, no mouse, no keyboard, no case switches or leds or internet, nothing else.

Boot. All you are looking for is the leds on the motherboard to cycle through and hold.

If it holds, start adding components 1 by 1, booting after every plug in until it doesn't hold. Save any drives for last.

If I won't hold from the start, the issue is with only those parts installed. Cpu, mobo, gpu, ram stick. Ram you can swap for the other stick.

It's not uncommon for something like the wire from the keyboard or mouse to be broken inside and short out, causing the boot issue.

Reactions: erminnz and rgd1101

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
You have everything out. So unplug everything, and I mean Everything except 1 stick of ram in A2 slot, cpu, cpu cooler, gpu and the 2x power cables for gpu and motherboard. No monitor, no mouse, no keyboard, no case switches or leds or internet, nothing else.

Boot. All you are looking for is the leds on the motherboard to cycle through and hold.

If it holds, start adding components 1 by 1, booting after every plug in until it doesn't hold. Save any drives for last.

If I won't hold from the start, the issue is with only those parts installed. Cpu, mobo, gpu, ram stick. Ram you can swap for the other stick.

It's not uncommon for something like the wire from the keyboard or mouse to be broken inside and short out, causing the boot issue.
Thanks for the Idea, unfortunately it didn't work. All the components work fine, the rebooting only happens when I have the USB stick with the Windows install on it inserted and the windows logo appears, then it first goes into the reboot cycle.

I have tried with a different USB stick but the same problem appears. I have also tried both 64x and 32x versions of windows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the Idea, unfortunately it didn't work. All the components work fine, the rebooting only happens when I have the USB stick with the Windows install on it inserted and the windows logo appears, then it first goes into the reboot cycle.

I have tried with a different USB stick but the same problem appears. I have also tried both 64x and 32x versions of windows.
Didn't say that before...
Start over. Format the USB as Fat32. Download a fresh x64 copy of windows onto the USB, use media creator tool to set it up correctly.

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
Didn't say that before...
Start over. Format the USB as Fat32. Download a fresh x64 copy of windows onto the USB, use media creator tool to set it up correctly.
Sorry I definitely should have said that.
I followed your steps and I got further than I have before. I got through the installation windows and reached a window that said "windows needs to restart". It did and after a few buffering dots I got a BSOD. Which said "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." with the stop code "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA".

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Somethings not right. All the required files should be there in the ram/storage during setup. That pagefile error means data is being/has been lost/misplaced. Almost like the install is looking for a second drive where windows stuck the data on a prior install. You should be using only a single drive, doing a full clean install. You shouldn't be able to use the pc at this point because Windows should have formatted the C drive, erasing any and all prior data. If you can still use the pc, you aren't doing a clean install, but a repair/replace on a single disk when multiple disks were originally setup for use, and the procedure is looking for those setup files, which aren't there as the drive is missing/disabled.

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
So, I cannot use windows all that I can see is the loading dots and then a restart. I have only the new hard drive connected. could it have something to do with the formatting of the Hard drive?

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
the broken BX500 or the working Hard drives?

The broken BX500 is 2.5. I will try with a different port but the mobo was replaced and the problems persisted so it shouldn't be that.

Last edited:

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
Mobo was replaced with a new one (exact same model)
I will order a psu since I don't have access to a spare one.
Since I haven't been able to get into windows I let the PC run in BIOS for 10 mins and the CPU temp was at around 34 C.

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
So the new PSU arrived. Same model (Corsair CX450M) however this one is newer (2021 as opposed to 2019ish). I booted the PC up and got a BSOD that stated the following: "Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." The stop code was "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" Any ideas as to what this means?
If it helps the boot device (USB was not connected)

TRENDING THREADS