Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus 2004. It
was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i want to remove it.
The problem is is that it seems to have locked down and hence i am unable to
do anything in it. The secuirty is turned off and locked down. I cant
uninstall it becuase it says i have to log on as the NIS administrator
however when at the NIS log on screen i am unable to log on as if it has been
locked down somehow (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go
into the NIS options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on one
screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
figure??? crazy

So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my computer and
which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or Add/remove programs??
IF anyone else has encountered this problem or can help me that would be
greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot else to do short of formatting my
harddrive which will be an absolute pain in the ass.!!!

Cheers
Tim C

Logged in as Admin in XP?
If not, you may not have privliges.
--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Tim C" <TimC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus 2004.
> It
> was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i want to remove
> it.
> The problem is is that it seems to have locked down and hence i am unable
> do anything in it. The secuirty is turned off and locked down. I cant
> uninstall it becuase it says i have to log on as the NIS administrator
> however when at the NIS log on screen i am unable to log on as if it has
> been
> locked down somehow (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go
> into the NIS options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on
> one
> screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
> figure??? crazy
>
> So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my computer
> and
> which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or Add/remove programs??
> IF anyone else has encountered this problem or can help me that would be
> greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot else to do short of formatting my
> harddrive which will be an absolute pain in the ass.!!!
>
> Cheers
> Tim C

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Tim C wrote:

> Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus 2004. It
> was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i want to remove it.
> The problem is is that it seems to have locked down and hence i am unable to
> do anything in it. The secuirty is turned off and locked down. I cant
> uninstall it becuase it says i have to log on as the NIS administrator
> however when at the NIS log on screen i am unable to log on as if it has been
> locked down somehow (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go
> into the NIS options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on one
> screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
> figure??? crazy
>
> So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my computer and
> which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or Add/remove programs??
> IF anyone else has encountered this problem or can help me that would be
> greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot else to do short of formatting my
> harddrive which will be an absolute pain in the ass.!!!
>
> Cheers
> Tim C

Look in the Symantec Knowledge base for the tool to remove NIS and NAV.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

If still stuck, reboot to Safe Mode. Login with Administrator as the login account. Then try the de-install.
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Tim C wrote:
> Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus
> 2004. It was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i
> want to remove it. The problem is is that it seems to have locked
> down and hence i am unable to do anything in it. The secuirty is
> turned off and locked down. I cant uninstall it becuase it says i
> have to log on as the NIS administrator however when at the NIS log
> on screen i am unable to log on as if it has been locked down somehow
> (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go into the NIS
> options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on one
> screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
> figure??? crazy
>
> So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my
> computer and which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or
> Add/remove programs?? IF anyone else has encountered this problem or
> can help me that would be greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot
> else to do short of formatting my harddrive which will be an absolute
> pain in the ass.!!!
>
> Cheers
> Tim C

When in safe mode, NIS states that wondows must be running normally to
uninstall. I am logged in as the administrator on XP when trying uninstall!!
ANd unfortunately the symmantec website was useless becuase all the actions
which need to be performed to uninstall must be done so logged on a
administrator in NIS!!

Any other suggestions/programs etc which can remove programs!! JUst throwing
up ideas or should i just bit my tongue and format my harddrive??

Cheers
Tim

"Rock" wrote:

> Tim C wrote:
>
> > Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus 2004. It
> > was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i want to remove it.
> > The problem is is that it seems to have locked down and hence i am unable to
> > do anything in it. The secuirty is turned off and locked down. I cant
> > uninstall it becuase it says i have to log on as the NIS administrator
> > however when at the NIS log on screen i am unable to log on as if it has been
> > locked down somehow (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go
> > into the NIS options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on one
> > screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
> > figure??? crazy
> >
> > So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my computer and
> > which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or Add/remove programs??
> > IF anyone else has encountered this problem or can help me that would be
> > greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot else to do short of formatting my
> > harddrive which will be an absolute pain in the ass.!!!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tim C
>
> Look in the Symantec Knowledge base for the tool to remove NIS and NAV.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Tim C wrote:

> When in safe mode, NIS states that wondows must be running normally to
> uninstall. I am logged in as the administrator on XP when trying uninstall!!
> ANd unfortunately the symmantec website was useless becuase all the actions
> which need to be performed to uninstall must be done so logged on a
> administrator in NIS!!
>
> Any other suggestions/programs etc which can remove programs!! JUst throwing
> up ideas or should i just bit my tongue and format my harddrive??
>
> Cheers
> Tim
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Tim C wrote:
>>

>>>Having serious problems with Norton Internet Security and Anit-Virus 2004. It
>>>was a 90 day trial version which has now expired and so i want to remove it.
>>>The problem is is that it seems to have locked down and hence i am unable to
>>>do anything in it. The secuirty is turned off and locked down. I cant
>>>uninstall it becuase it says i have to log on as the NIS administrator
>>>however when at the NIS log on screen i am unable to log on as if it has been
>>>locked down somehow (the log on button is not selectable.) I cant even go
>>>into the NIS options as it says i have insufficient priviliges however on one
>>>screen it does appear that i am logged on as the administratior...go
>>>figure??? crazy
>>>
>>>So basically i am left with a program that is not protecting my computer and
>>>which i cant uninstall using either the NIS cd or Add/remove programs??
>>>IF anyone else has encountered this problem or can help me that would be
>>>greatly appreciated!! as i am unsure wot else to do short of formatting my
>>>harddrive which will be an absolute pain in the ass.!!!
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Tim C
>>
>>Look in the Symantec Knowledge base for the tool to remove NIS and NAV.
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Norton AV again rears it's ugly head. Sometimes a clean install is the
only way.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Right now, you can run MSCONFIG and disable NIS & NAV from Startup programs tab & (carefully) disable their services in Services tab.
And then restart system. Just be sure you have 1 software firewall on ; use XP's if that's all that is left.

Other ideas on removing NIS & NAV: Use Control Panel's Add Remove Programs and look for these in the list, and remove them.
I would think you'd need to have those programs off (not running) before trying that.

Very worst case, and only if you know how to use the registry editor, (a) remove programs from auto-load at startup, (b) remove references in registry, (c) delete programs & their associated folders.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User