[SOLVED] Not sure where to post this, but computer is randomly lagging and freezing.

Sep 23, 2020
Hardware:
Motherboard: MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
CPU: i7-9700K
GPU: MSI 2070s ventus oc
Cooler: NZXT Kraken 360
PSU: CORSAIR - RM Series 750W ATX12V
Storage: Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560 MB/s - CT1000MX500SSD (OS), and a WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX 4TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Windows 10 64bit 2004
3 front case fans and 1 exhaust fan
dual monitors
All of the components were bought from May of this year and up.

My computer has been sporadically lagging/freezing throughout the day. This has gone on for a week or two at this point.The pc will freeze when I am playing games and alt-tab to another window and will also freeze if I am just doing normal work i.e. using chrome and using excel. The computer does not completely freeze though, it like lags more or less. I can still use the window I was in, but if I try to click onto another window, I cannot get onto that window. For example, I could be typing this out in chrome and want to click over to another browser window and it will not let me, for a random amount of time. When I go into task manager, I can end a program, like chrome, and I will regain control of everything again. Sometimes I just open task manager and it lets me regain control of the computer as well.

I recently upgraded my ram to the 4x8 3600 pack from a 2x16 2666mhz pack. I thought this could be the issue so I put back the old ram to no avail as it still happened with the old ram. I also restored previous versions of windows which did nothing. All thermals are normal and there are not any sporadic cpu spikes either during these times. Before this I was able to play a game on one screen and alt-tab back and forth to my second screen with ease. Last night I wiped both harddrives and did a complete reinstall of windows and it still does it. All drivers on everything are up to date including a new bios. I even remounted the AIO with fresh thermal paste today just incase that could have been it and that did nothing either. I also reset the bios to default everything. XMP is not active, GPU and CPU are not OCed.

I do not know what to do at this point so if anyone has any idea please let me know.

Solution
update chapter 29759...wireless mouse has made it better LOLOLOL

also, keep getting cod errors but I have looked the issue up and people seem to have issues when memory is running at 3600, if I run it at auto 2133, it works.

idk, for now everything is good haha
Hi kyled729 :)

A well described issue and it can be one of many possibilities so where to start.

1. Disconnect your other drives except the drive with the OS, to see if its drive related.
  2. Detach any unnecessary peripherals to eliminate that possible cause.
  3. Check for driver issues in Windows. Go to Control Panel>Device manager and check for yellow triangles indicating a bad or corrupt driver. If found then uninstall the offender and update the driver from the manufacturers site.
  4. Open an elevated command prompt and type in SFC /SCANNOW. This will interrogate your system32 files for corruption and attempt a fix.
  5. Just in case you may have attracted malware then run your virus checker.
  6. Have a look in Event Viewer and see if anything provides a clue.
  7. Is your Windows up to date.
Should the above prove fruitless then I would recommend a clean install of the OS using the media creation tool.
Make sure to backup all your important files in advance.

Sep 23, 2020
Hi kyled729 :)

A well described issue and it can be one of many possibilities so where to start.

1. Disconnect your other drives except the drive with the OS, to see if its drive related.
  2. Detach any unnecessary peripherals to eliminate that possible cause.
  3. Check for driver issues in Windows. Go to Control Panel>Device manager and check for yellow triangles indicating a bad or corrupt driver. If found then uninstall the offender and update the driver from the manufacturers site.
  4. Open an elevated command prompt and type in SFC /SCANNOW. This will interrogate your system32 files for corruption and attempt a fix.
  5. Just in case you may have attracted malware then run your virus checker.
  6. Have a look in Event Viewer and see if anything provides a clue.
Should the above prove fruitless then I would recommend a clean install of the OS using the media creation tool.
Make sure to backup all your important files in advance.
Thanks for the response! I tried most of if not all yesterday and wiped both ssd and hdd and installed windows fresh this morning. Still was happening. What seems to be working is the increase of voltage for the ram. As I recently went to 4 sticks instead of 2. Will update if problem persists. Thank you!!

Thanks for the response! I tried most of if not all yesterday and wiped both ssd and hdd and installed windows fresh this morning. Still was happening. What seems to be working is the increase of voltage for the ram. As I recently went to 4 sticks instead of 2. Will update if problem persists. Thank you!!
Your RAM was my next call.
I see you resolved the issue with your RAM voltage. OK good luck.

Sep 23, 2020
Your RAM was my next call.
I see you resolved the issue with your RAM voltage. OK good luck.
So everything has been going good except it still will randomly do it. Voltage is correct, even upped my voltage on cpu because it seemed too low, under 1. For whatever reason when I play Call of Duty, task manager shows my cpu being hit for about 85% with 2% of the gpu being hit. Apparently this is a optimization bug but the lags still happen when I am not gaming.

I checked for corruptions as stated above and nothing. No driver issues, everything is up to date. Any clue?

OK then you have a stability problem and need to assess methodically what's going on under load.

Eliminate the possibility that there is a fault with your RAM first by running Memtest86 from a USB.

When in Windows run CHKDSK to eliminate a possible disk fault.

Download AIDA64 and HWinfo64. Have them both on your desktop and conduct a stress test at stock frequency.
Go to the Tools section in AIDA64 and select the stress test. Check boxes for CPU, FPU and Cache to test initially.

Run the test for ten mins and take a screen shot of both HWinfo showing temps and Rail voltages at t-die and the graph of Aida64.

Use IMGUR as a host for the screen capture, upload to IMGUR and obtain the bburl so I can evaluate the Pics.

There are other tests with AIDA64 to assess your GPU,PSU, DISK and RAM separately.

A stress test is the only way to find the culprit so have patience.

Are you still having browser issues?

Sep 23, 2020
not sure how I run memtest86 from a usb? I doubt it is the memory as this happened with my old memory as well. I also swapped this memory for a new pack from amazon just in case it was faulty.

Sep 23, 2020
OK then you have a stability problem and need to assess methodically what's going on under load.

Eliminate the possibility that there is a fault with your RAM first by running Memtest86 from a USB.

When in Windows run CHKDSK to eliminate a possible disk fault.

Download AIDA64 and HWinfo64. Have them both on your desktop and conduct a stress test at stock frequency.
Go to the Tools section in AIDA64 and select the stress test. Check boxes for CPU, FPU and Cache to test initially.

Run the test for ten mins and take a screen shot of both HWinfo showing temps and Rail voltages at t-die and the graph of Aida64.

Use IMGUR as a host for the screen capture, upload to IMGUR and obtain the bburl so I can evaluate the Pics.

There are other tests with AIDA64 to assess your GPU,PSU, DISK and RAM separately.

A stress test is the only way to find the culprit so have patience.

Are you still having browser issues?

Sep 23, 2020
b0UzKnh.png

Issue is truly bizarre. Even when doing simple uploading it will lag. I go into task manager, and it typically unfreezes it self and I can go about doing what I was doing. It did it just as I was copying and pasting the link.

Reactions: MeanMachine41
Sep 23, 2020
Another thing I noticed that if it freezes while using chrome and I click a link to either bring me back or to another page, chrome will generate a new tab every time I click, until I go into task manager etc

It's bizarre for sure Kyled and i'm' leaning toward possible corruption in Windows. There is nothing wrong with your system thermal wise and voltage wise and no indication of a hardware issue.
My only concern atm is your System32 files. CHKDSK found problems with Security descriptors.

Open an elevated command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW which will look for any corrupted files and will attempt a fix. If it can't fix the corruption it will let you know. When this happens it's best to do a clean installation of the OS rather than trying to determine the culprit.

It could be Chrome is corrupt so uninstall it and try another browser like Firefox or Waterfox which I use.
ofc: it's also wise to run a virus check for malware.

BTW: A well presented analysis of your system and of great help.

Sep 23, 2020
Interesting, I wiped windows when this happened and it was still doing it after the fact. It really all started once I changed from 2 to 4 ram modules. I was running 2x16 now 4x8 for the rgb and aesthetic. Also I wouldnt put it past chrome as when it opens it always has (12) things with it for some reason?

What is a security descriptor?

Sep 23, 2020
It's bizarre for sure Kyled and i'm' leaning toward possible corruption in Windows. There is nothing wrong with your system thermal wise and voltage wise and no indication of a hardware issue.
My only concern atm is your System32 files. CHKDSK found problems with Security descriptors.

Open an elevated command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW which will look for any corrupted files and will attempt a fix. If it can't fix the corruption it will let you know. When this happens it's best to do a clean installation of the OS rather than trying to determine the culprit.

It could be Chrome is corrupt so uninstall it and try another browser like Firefox or Waterfox which I use.

yNksVh2.png

Sep 23, 2020

I also OCed my memory to 3733, because the MSI board has an option for MEMORY TRY IT, it has been stable at 1.4v and I do not think the issue has happened since? This crap is weird.

Interesting, I wiped windows when this happened and it was still doing it after the fact. It really all started once I changed from 2 to 4 ram modules. I was running 2x16 now 4x8 for the rgb and aesthetic. Also I wouldnt put it past chrome as when it opens it always has (12) things with it for some reason?

What is a security descriptor?

A security descriptor contains the security information associated with a securable object. A security descriptor consists of a SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR structure and its associated security information.
Sometimes the target of malware.

Did you conduct a Memtest86 on your RAM and what were the results. If you switch back to your original 2x16 combo does the issue continue?

Scan indicated corruption in Windows32 and fixed them. Did it help your problem?

Sep 23, 2020
A security descriptor contains the security information associated with a securable object. A security descriptor consists of a SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR structure and its associated security information.
Sometimes the target of malware.

Did you conduct a Memtest86 on your RAM and what were the results. If you switch back to your original 2x16 combo does the issue continue?

Scan indicated corruption in Windows32 and fixed them. Did it help your problem?

I couldn't figure out how to boot memtest from USB. The website confused the <Mod Edit> out of me.

I also sold my old ram because when I did put it back in, same stuff was occurring.

I will be working from home tomorrow and see how it goes. It seemed to be ok afterwards.

I also Uninstaller chrome as well and am running a virus check again to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't figure out how to boot memtest from USB. The website confused the <Mod Edit> out of me.

I also sold my old ram because when I did put it back in, same stuff was occurring.

I will be working from home tomorrow and see how it goes. It seemed to be ok afterwards.

I also Uninstaller chrome as well and am running a virus check again to make sure.
Here is a vid that may help how to instal and use Memtest86:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2ISV0728w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_xFNojChNA

zeekstern

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
This is a great post. Great info here.
A friend of mine had the same lagging/freezing problem on her HP laptop. What I noticed was the Windows Update was always running when I looked at it. I let it run until all updates were applied. Then rebooted and checked for Updates again. It found more updates so I let it finish, rebooted, and checked again. I had to do this 3 times until it finally said it was up to date 2 times in a row. Then I did a complete uninstall of Chrome and reinstalled it and that seemed to fix her problem.

You also could try running:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth before doing the SFC. That Dism command will replace files using the latest online files instead of cached files or older files from a cd. Then you can run the sfc.

Hope this helps.

Zeek

Any errors in Memtest86 is considered a failure. It is possible that the error is caused by the Motherboard either RAM slots or voltage regulation.

When an error occurs it's best to try another kit that have been tested and known to work. Make sure the retailer will accept a return should the kit you choose not work.
If it continues having errors then it's safe to assume the motherboard is the culprit.

TRENDING THREADS