Question Nothing displayed on monitor until after CMOS reset... then it does it again (Power Supply or Processor)

jonnydem

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
I have a Xidax system buit about 4 years ago. There was a power surge months ago while I was using the PC that shut the machine off. After that it sometimes would not boot directly into Windows.

A few months later I tried installing an M2 drive. After the install the machine would boot but would not display anything. After resetting the CMOS, I was able to get it to power on and get into BIOS sometimes. After more troubleshooting I decided it was likely the mother board. Part of the troubleshooting was using a power supply tester on my power supply. It passed.

I eventually get a new mother board. I also upgraded my graphics card while I was at it. I installed both yesterday. After Windows install, it again booted up but displayed nothing on the monitors. I replaced the RAM sticks with a single stick, took the graphics card out, reset CMOS, and turned it back on.

At this point I was able to get the machine to boot into Windows. Something strange happened to the Windows installation because I couldn't open up anything. Eventually found a way to upgrade the OS. Let it install updates overnight.

This morning it was fine. Restarted it to install more updates. Got home from work, turned it on, and it was back to displaying nothing. A signal is not being sent to the monitors at all.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS, but that just triggers the same problem.

So, everything has been taken out or swapped in the machine except the processor, power supply, case, and heat sink. Both the power supply and processor have passed diagnostic tests.

Is my processor burned up? Is my power supply screwing things up sporadically? I haven't seen any evidence of actual damage to either one.

Original system included:
MSI Z170 Krait ATX
i7-6700
16gbs of RAM (DDR4 2400MHz)
Corsair CX750W Semi-modular Power Supply
NVIDIA GTX 1050 2GB

RAM has been upgraded
Graphics card upgraded to an RTX 3050

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

My thought is file corruption.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also: "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant errors, warning codes, or even informational events.

jonnydem

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant errors, warning codes, or even informational events.

It's a completely new hard drive.

jonnydem

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013

The new drive is a 1tb M2 drive.

TRENDING THREADS