NPD: Apple Owners Have More Money and Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
What's more, 66 percent of Apple-owning households have three or more computers, while only 29 percent of Windows PC households can claim the same.

That's probably because the Windows PC can run everything you need while the Mac guy needs another machine to do what he wants. :D

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Basically this report is total garbage. What this report tells are all well-known which one can get the idea by off-loading the thinking to one of his knee. I hope this wasn't done with taxpayer's money.

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
if you're going to waste your money on an apple, you might as well waste it on a bunch of other stuff you probably have no use for.

G

Why not just have a "music player" category rather than ask if people own Apple's music player?

teraflop122

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
"the mainstream Apple computer owner is more hardcore"

Having an excess of money and no sense of what to do with it does not make someone 'hardcore.'

G

So ... they figured out that the guys who bought the most expensive computers have more money and more stuff? I could have told them that for free.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Oh wait! Porsche owners have more money too... and and... People who have a condo no Central Park have more money too!

Seriously.

The title of this article should be "Upper class twits spend their cash in a wholly undiscerning fashion".

Man, I'd hate being the one who paid for that study.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pepperman[/nom]Wow... we were just told macs are expensive by survey group, more than 30 years after apple was founded. Shows the efficiency of surveys...[/citation]

What? Where did it say that? All the article said was the Apple owners have more money than other consumers and are more affluent, have more computers in their homes, and have more tech toys in their homes. What is wrong with that? Nothing wrong with making over $100k a year, owning a Benz, and have a ton of tech toys. What else you gonna do, donate your money to poor Windows users so they can buy a Mac?

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]That's probably because the Windows PC can run everything you need while the Mac guy needs another machine to do what he wants.[/citation]

Boot Camp no need for 2 machines, Apple Mac can boot either.

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
This is so funny. It reported as if it was news and facts. Actually it is a marketing survey. Which means just about nothing. It could be accurate or skewed to meet what the client wants to hear. In the end the data means nothing. I love how they skew the data points.. they have ipods and DSLRs. The rest of us have MP3 players and digital cameras.. ohhh and more money in our pockets!

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
PC users ON AVERAGE are idiots - that's because the entire world uses PC's.

However, the top 20 percentile of PC users will absolutely decimate the top 20 percentile of MAC users. Do Mac users know how to overclock or even upgrade their components without sending it to the "Apple store? "

People who buy Macs buy into that idiotic "No viruses or problems" marketing slogan. And the only ones dumb enough to buy that slogan are non-tech people.

baov

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Hitokage[/nom]All this proves is that people with disposable income can't be bothered to think for themselves.[/citation]
No, but they can think different!

G

Well Duh....

With more middle schools providing MacBooks to their students, of course there will be more Apple owners regardless of income.

It's not so much that Apple uses have more money, it's Apple that is catering more to the upper class than to the average person.

These days, there are more well to do and rich people here in the USA while at the same time, there are many more people who are struggling to make ends meet and those who are just getting by.

Although I must say, some of those well to do were knocked off their feet this past year what with the recession and job losses.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I just spent a grand on an Onkyo TX-NR1007, so much more worthwhile than a MacBook. I don't know how many devices I have, I couldn't possibly begin to count, but I've never bought an Apple product for myself or my family.

I do however have a couple hundred Macs in my collection. I only use an eMac occasionally. Now that I have OSX on my Dell Mini, who needs the Mac hardware?

It's not so much that Rich people are stupid (though most are,) it's that their apperance to others it greatly inflated over everyone else, that forces logic out of their tiny little brains and allows asthetics to rule their lives. I can't begin to tell you how many very expensive homes I've been in that look wonderful but are functionally inept.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
This article is kind of like saying, "People who have 50 inch or larger plasma televisions are more likely to have a five speaker surround system than people with televisions smaller than 50 inches."

Apple sells higher priced gadgets and higher priced computers, so I expect Apple product owners to have a little extra everywhere in the house, especially the electronics and portable electronics category.

G

Well, I can tell all of you this, as a developer, I find it much easier to code using my Macbook pro. I also like the fact that, due to its native Unix support, I have no need to install any 3rd party tool that might destabilize my system potentially crashing it during a subversion commit. Other developers either use a linux box or a Mac (at least the ones I know).

Now I do play games, which I use my PC for. I like the flexibility to tweak my system that PC affords me (both at the hardware and software level) which is much more difficult to do with a Mac.

I'm not, like a lot of hardcore techies, brand loyal to any one company; I use whatever works the best without wanting to be inconvenienced by parts breaking down (so no, I don't own an iphone, I use an android). And, as someone that works in the tech industry, I make good enough money to be able to afford geeky toys, but like most programmers, I refuse to buy a Benz or bmw, as some ppl above have implied. Has ANYONE EVER met a developer that drove a benz or bmw? Hahaha…I think we’re too busy worrying about other things than our appearance.

Anyway, I don’t see what the big deal is. People buy electronics to meet their needs. People buy pcs to play games, work, surfing the net, etc, but I don't think I've met a Mac purchaser that actually uses their computer for anything other than work (what else is it good for anyway? You really can't play games on it, can you?). If you can afford it, then buy it…more power to you. If it doesn’t hurt anybody else, who cares?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Of course. The rich buy the most current bling cause they can, and like most bling it is mainly for bragging points. Of course when they realize that it cannot do everything they want they can go out and buy what they need to meet that requirement, hopefully it has bling value as well, and that's where they get more electronics. (Apple runs Apple for the most part, PC runs Windows, BSD, Linux, Solaris, ....). One item that can handle multiple needs. Basically comes down too, and with a few exceptions here, "I am rich. If it does not do what I thought, not a problem I will just go out and buy another item that will." Few will take the time out and look for an option of one item capable of handling all or at least most of your needs.

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Let the rich buy wh[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]PC users ON AVERAGE are idiots - that's because the entire world uses PC's.However, the top 20 percentile of PC users will absolutely decimate the top 20 percentile of MAC users. Do Mac users know how to overclock or even upgrade their components without sending it to the "Apple store? "People who buy Macs buy into that idiotic "No viruses or problems" marketing slogan. And the only ones dumb enough to buy that slogan are non-tech people.[/citation]

%100 agree with this statement. Mac users are not computer wizzes. That's how Apple's marketing team got to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.