Nvidia Benchmarks GTX 480 Against Radeon 5870

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ati is going to lower their prices to the point were nvidia can't make any profit and will have to sell their cards at a loss.

I doubt that because if you use a bit of common sense AMD would lose money also for selling their GPU's at a lower price. AMD's prices are low at the moment, anything lower is considered a loss.

conman1941

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Nvidia is just making fail after fail. Their new cards run hot, take up lots of power, and barely make it over the 5870s. I also highly doubt that Nvidia left as much room for overclocking as ATI did on the 5970. ATI pwns.

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]looks like nvidia fail this timebut i bet they'll have a super fast refresh before the end of the summer[/citation]
How so? You can clearly see in the graph that it is faster

I am unimpressed and I am a dual G92 user with quite a collection from Trident to the ill fated i740. Any one can do synthetic benches it is game play that counts and sure it is not just the games you play but what you play them on but I have my doubts about the GTX470 and the GTX480 with their high power consumption but when the opportunity knocks I will be adding one of these to my collection and running experiments like nuking the shader.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Turbo? The i7 960 can turbo up to 3.46Ghz: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37151[/citation]
Why would it turbo with nothing running that demands it? Turbo for the i7-960 is 3.46GHz.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
YAY! Completely biased benchmarks!
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]yeah but nvidia 480 will cost you a kidney[/citation]
Kidney is too cheap. Your heart is much better.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Granted it is a vendor generated benchmark, but I would say >10fps on average is a pretty significant margin for the single chip cards. It's like taking an unplayable FPS and making it playable. It's doubtful it can take on the 5970, and yes it's six months behind, but for how well it did in this preliminary it shows promise.

and is it just me, but the few semiaccurate articles I've seen have been, well, wrong?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
given the price of the card, this is shockingly bad. it should absolutely trounce the 5870, and at least be in league with the 5970.

as it stands, this card may as well not exist.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ok people can we please stop comparing the 5970 to the gtx480? 5970 is a dual gpu, single slot card... the 480 is a single gpu card. When we have the gtx480x2 made out of two gtx470's then we will see how that compares to the 5970... till then apples to apples please. If the 480 is only 5-10% faster then jump on a 5870 or 5970 but dont compare a dual card to a single card.

[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]Why would it turbo with nothing running that demands it? Turbo for the i7-960 is 3.46GHz.[/citation]
Don't know. They could have some random cr@p running in the background (ie Anti virus,screen recording, etc)although it is suspicious. If your running benches, why the need for anything else?

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]jezzarisky[/nom]and is it just me, but the few semiaccurate articles I've seen have been, well, wrong?[/citation]

The guy at semi-accurate (charles I think his name is) is a known nvidia hater and ati fan. He regularly posts out and out lies that then get broadcast as truth. Bascially semi-accurate is not accurate and is more satire than actual news... treat it as such.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Don't know. They could have some random cr@p running in the background (ie Anti virus,screen recording, etc)although it is suspicious. If your running benches, why the need for anything else?[/citation]

people compare them because they will be directly competing price wise. of course they should be compared.

if you;d been following fermi, you'd know that there will not be a dual GPU version. because of the size/heat/power draw of the chip, its just not possible.

the closest comparison IS the 5970 (which will actually be cheaper, at least at first)

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Because nvidia is comparing their top of the line model to one half of ati's top model. Which, according to the graph performs in the range of 50% to 100% as well as the 480. Meaning that if you put two of them together, it would perform in the range of 100% to 200% as well as the nvidia. Which means they're in trouble because they can't put 2 480's on the board or they would have done it and showed us that graph.

Clear?

Its actually about what i thought, it isn't changing the world of computer gaming but its incrementally faster. Probably all the hype going on for the last 8-10 months has caused a bit of a let down. Waiting all this time for 10% better frame rates?

I don't see any reason why we should think it will beat a dual gpu graphics card. However since the gtx 480 is a "high end" card I imagine it would come out costing 500-600US. I don't think they'll sell a lot of these at that price. It may be more interesting to see how the gtx 470 performs and at what price point.

We of course are just speculating. I hope that fermi is competitive so some of Ati's cards will come down in price. Those are the ones I really want!

@Shin0bi272, if the pricing on the card is true, then it is fair to compare the GTX480 to the 5970 even if it is 2 GPU's to 1, the only way for this card to be placed against the 5870 is for top card, unless the GTX480 is priced closely to the 5870 (< +$100)

yes there will be enthusiasts who don't care about price and get the best single card, but they are very few and far between

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
This is pretty interesting. Although we have to consider the premature level of the GTX 470/480 drivers. I'm sure the 480/470 will gain some more terrain as the drivers get solid. (Yeah I know Nvidia still have some issues on the driver camp, but let's see)

Nonetheless, I clearly agree with several users around here. Doesn't look like a nice start (even such a particular test as Hardware Tesselation). I hope these new cards bring some competition so ATI cards get some price cut.

This is quite impressive, but AMD/ATI is keeping way ahead, not only in the video card launches, also in R&D fields.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
made the switch to ati and couldn't be happier! my 5870 can actually play fallout 3 correctly. no thank you 295

nitzero

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I have acquired a 5850 from Sapphire but had several problems with drivers and OpenGL applications, including games such as Second Life. The card randomly freezes and the screen gets black or gray with green artifacts. The card was exchanged by an Asus model paying extra U$20,00, still having the same issues. My previous card was a 4770 and then a 9600GT. Sorry guys, but why is this rant for nvidia? They have contributed much more to the PC Gaming industry than anyone else. I know they also have problems but seriously... I didn't have any problems with my old 9600GT, I know there will be people to argue about it or defend ATI but I will not buy another Radeon card after this 5850, it runs all newer games with no problems. Now... Try to play that older MMORPG or better yet, try running Windows XP and watch the display driver encountering several errors.

Hoping Nvidia will do well this time, everybody wins, even who hates Nvidia! Remember the FX Series? That was a mess, but if they didn't release the 6600GT/6800GT series we would have been screwed in ATI's hands with the all glorious refreshing x series Radeons.

By the way, check the older stuff from Charlie (Semi Acurrate) such as you may find at The Inquirer. He even said ATI Radeon 2900XT was over two times faster than a 8800GTX with false claims and secret sources. He is not trustworthy.

Never in the computer story there were so many rumors about a company and product itself, don't even think it was the same when Microsoft launched Windows Vista.

Let's hope to have fair prices and competition!

b0o

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
ive been holding off buying a gpu for my new rig waiting for fermi.

not because i plan to buy fermi, but because it might make the prices on the 5850/70/90 go down.

if the vendor supplied benchmarks have the new card pretty much on par/slightly better with ati's second top card, you know actual benchmarks and stress tests will have it equal/worse than the 5870.

add on the fact that you can overclock the 5800 series cards. the fermi cards will use so much power and run so hot you won't even be able to attempt overclocking them.

i hope fermi performs well enough to lower the prices on the 5800 series

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
all in all, I commend you nVidia, for pushing the future. I consider nVidia's customer support and business practices pretty epic fail, but their R&D ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.