Nvidia Benchmarks GTX 480 Against Radeon 5870

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Nvidia - The way is meant to be delayed!

Seriously... welcome back to six months ago... All that AMD needs to do now is release a refresh to their 5xxx series and kill Nvidia's new GPU.

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]...Two of them "The Feminator" on a single board would likely need 2 X 8Pin power connectors and both wouldn't be clocked past 550Mhz I'd assume.The retail parts are likely to be less than 5000 at intial launch ... and all of them are castrated parts (more shaders disabled than suggested).It will be a low volume crippled core launch while the respin is going on to step up better binned parts .[/citation]

And you know all of this how? Because Charlie says so?

Everyone...It's only another two weeks until the cards are actually out, and there will be independent tests all over the place then. Can the damn fanboyism until them. If your team wins, you can gloat all you want then, but all this crowing over rumors that are obviously biased, either coming from Nvidia or their most notorious hater, is beyond stupid.

crossfirefreak

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Nvidia is so screwed.... they have been delaying this launch for over 6 months and then, when it's finally out, we realize it's a power hungry device who cannot beat the top performer from AMD/ATI (radeon 5970) and has even very similar performance (under their secretive benchmarks...) to the radeon 5870 which is now, more than 6 months old!!! So asside from tessellation (a feature that probably NONE of the current games actually makes use...) the Nvidia's new line of videocards is a great SHAME! I only hope that AMD can make a great profit out of their graphics division (ati) to compensate most of their loses in the CPU market against Intel. Cause I've got no doubt that Nvidia WILL LOSE market share and a lot of money with this new release. (Well, that's it... All the Nvidia's TROLLS out there can bash me now! =P )

Nobody said that Fermi would beat the 5970, if you use a bit of common sense you would now by now that this is impossible, a sandwiched Fermi would be the only contender vs. the 5970 and NV does not have such a GPU on their roadmap yet..

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
the only thing that benchmark shows is that it can do tesselation well, but it DOESN'T show ANYTHING else. It also doesn't show how well it can do tesselation when the GPU is actually doing anything else. The ATI 5xxx series cards have dedicated tesselation units, where the GTX480 besically shares rendering resources, so if you turn on high level AA or AF what will happen? And what about when you the GPU has to be doing physics calculation etc. in a REAL game rather than a synthetic benchmark? there won't be as much computation power available to tesselation in a real game scenario is my guess and it will probably impact the GTX480's tesselation power. This is my guess, but we'll have to wait and see some real benchmarks.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
What makes me concerned is that they benchmarked their 480 against the 5870... And in a self-made benchmark, which obviously means it's cherry-picked and slanted. Given that the 480 is gonna probably run about $600-750, (given the fact that they're paying for 12 GDDR5 chips plus one of the most massive GPUs ever made) they're gonna have to have it comparable to the 5970, not the 5870, in order to justify the card's existence.

And as others have mentioned, the fact it's so late out the gate leaves it in quite a vulnerable position; if the benchmarks suggest the 5870 is within striking distance of the 480, AMD will surely be able to push out a refreshed 5890. Even with the 280, which found itself under fire before it even hit the market, had to endure for half a year before nVidia was able to boost their lineup with a revision. And as both G92 and GT206 have shown, it'll be impossible to use straight GF100 to make a dual-GPU board. And while GT206 was able to come out in only 6 months, that was mostly due to the fact that GT200 came out using the already-antiquidated 65nm process; this time, it's already at 40nm, so the 470 and 480 will have to hold the fort until someone OTHER than Intel masters 32nm.

Of course, at least we can all take comfort in knowing that tesselation is "The Future" and the "Killer Ap" for Direct3D 11... Just like it was for D3D 10.1, 10.0, 9.0c, 9.0b, 9.0, 8.1, and even D3D 8. Just shows that the more things change, the more they stay the same. (and ATi/AMD's been JUST as guilty of this as Nvidia)

G

CUDA rocks with nvidia... i guess it depends on what u want.. I know im ordering 3x480's 3gb variants when they arrive... DX11 on the nvidias will wipe the ati cards out... that what they are counting on as well as gpgpu advancements. dx11 performance on the gtx 480 is for the long term. ati 5870 was strictly short and fast to market. Depends on what you want from your card.. CUDA and the odd game will do me fine :0)

fernandogmd

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I think you guys don't see the trees because the forest is in the way. What I see is a red graph that shows me UNPLAYABLE framerates HALF THE TIME (under 30, a bit above 20 fps) and a green graph that shows me good PLAYABLE framerates 100% of the time (above 30). What is important when playing a game is not the maximum and average framerates, it's the MINUMUM that make it choppy and umplayable. I know it's an nVidia conducted test, but you should really take a hard look at the actual result and consider 'what if'.

I don´t know what to consider, they´re benchmarking a demo, these are not playable framerates because it´s not a GAME. There´s a lot of talking about nothing. When we can see it running actual games then we can point fingers, right now we are wasting time

G

nvidia will win I think. It;s not about just tech.. but also market share.. Ati 3dgames only.. nvidia games and business/science sector. With CUDA avaiable for some really interesting high end results with non commercial spec cards will open a flood gate of new applications ati wont get around to for quite some time. Science, engineering, physics and high end 3d rendering CUDA will help increase the amount of gtx480 purchases for us humble folk. Before I would buy a card for games and 3d cad. NOw I'm buying 3 times more cards for high end applications that were only available to the few at mainframe status... you say ati have a faster card... no they dont, not for this new split in market that nvidia is creating. Now more users will have with these cards while having the power not that long ago i might add ,that only the rich businesses could afford will greatly increase nvidias grip in the market place. So less geek talk more business talk and it all makes perfect sense... they got my interests and ATi's haven't.. as their SDK and gpgpu support sucks. OpenCL application benchmarks are poor with ati cards but with CUDA they rock by upto 4 times the performance. Nvidia have created a wonderful new platform, ati have not! they still stuck in the past and masked it with low performance dx11 hardware.. someone mentioned AA... nvidia has 32AA 1920x1200 upto 3gb gdr5 for user cards all the details + tesselation with silk FPS what the hell more do you want people! Dx10.1 games have reached their max FPS. DX11 is where it really is and nvidia have made sure their hardware pushes this to the max for your money!

good luck running tessellation and high amounts of AA, that is where the NV cards will falter since they have to use their CUDA cores for both tessellation (this means software tessellation) and AA where as the ATI cards have hardware tessellation

yes the cards are going to be faster
as others have said 5850 < 470 < 5870 < 480

also i wouldn't count on CUDA for many more apps with direct compute and opencl (especially direct compute as game designers are already familiar with the DX api)
keep in mind ATI dropped stream in favor of opencl for devs now

what app are you using that the NV cards get 4x better performance with CUDA over opencl?

and the max for you money, more than likely not, though we are waiting for pricing and i imagine that the GTX470 will more than likely be more expensive than the 5870

last not, since when do gamers care that much about GPGPU usage (don't say PhysX, Havok is better and that runs on cpus fine, think Source engine), personally i am a dev and have used CUDA, Stream, and opencl. Personally, opencl has my book since it is cross platform cross vender so anyone can use it

no it doesn't, it says my card can render this benchmark faster with these certain settings and resolution

to get the over all picture you need more than this benchmark (ie many games) and done from a 3rd party with as little bias as possible (no bias is impossible, we are human after all)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If Nvidias Fermi fails its because they have focused to much about Cuda and forgot where their roots are from - The PC 3d gamers who enjoyed a good game with everything cranked up to the max at insane resolutions...

ATI have really come out swinging in the 3d area, lets see the real benchmarks how nvidia's card keep up or if its too much of a cuda abomination (seen for the gamer perspective). I like what the cuda/direct compute WILL offer later on but if Fermi can't run the current games well i have a feeling that Direct Compute will be the dominating party as few will choose a expensive cards with no real immediate benefits than the less priced cards...

My 2 cents of the situation

It all comes down to the pricing...Most are not going to shell out the extra 100.00/200.00/300.00$ just cause the card has PhysX.

Another interesting factor is how well will these cards play vs. the 5 series on DX11 only titles. ATM the 5 series is doing horrible in DX11, hopefully it will be the other way around once new DX11 titles are out..

and again, this is a benchmark, usually means next to nothing, real games are where it is at

also, the NV card doesn't have a hardware tessellation unit like the ATI cards (which have been there since the HD2xxx series), its done with the CUDA cores and software

as to PhysX, its mostly useless added graphics (using physics, ie floating paper) , Havok works fine and is CPU bound, also keep in mind running PhysX takes away from the GPU doing rendering (yet another thing that uses the CUDA cores)

the tessellation is done through the DX api so it should be the same between companies, ati's original tessellation (HD2xxx-HD4xxx) is difficult to use since you have to program for it, and i don't think any games even used it

driver optimizations, come on, both NV and ATI are going to get it, and usually ATI more than NV (HD4xxx v GTX2xx, ati got huge gains over the months in comparison to what NV got)

as to unfinished specs, we don't even know how many CUDA cores the GTX480 will have, could be 480 or 512 (or both and confuse customers)

personally its better to wait 2-3 weeks to see 3rd party reviews using games to see the speed difference, until then, lets all chill out

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
hehe, to be honest it looks like there are a few sore people in this room.

So less geek talk more business talk and it all makes perfect sense... they got my interests and ATi's haven't.. as their SDK and gpgpu support sucks. OpenCL application benchmarks are poor with ati cards but with CUDA they rock by upto 4 times the performance. Nvidia have created a wonderful new platform, ati have not! they still stuck in the past and masked it with low performance dx11 hardware.. someone mentioned AA...

ATI's cards do not suck their cards work as well as they should for being produced 6 months before hand, as for OpenCL i would agree with the guy that posted right after the post this quote is taken from. I have to say though, i would like to see some real benchmarks from these cards, i've predicted them to be quite promising a while ago, based on the architecture, hopefully they live up to the expectations. at the same time i hope they offer good competition for pricing. from what i understand both the GTX4xx and the HD 58xx are going to get hit hard with an inflation streak, i hope my hunch is wrong.

p.s. adding a nvidia card to run physx in an ati setup is
cheating, because ati card still is not running physx.

as far as this comment, i have to say its out of line... its not cheating... its just something that is done by people that are not struck by fanboyism for either company and just strive as a pure enthusiast. saying that is like saying i am cheating at a game, when i've been playing for 3 years, and you just picked up the controller.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
no offense to toms but your a little late this news is 5 days ago. I understand if its speculation and you need time to verify the source but this is straight from the horses mouth. I give you an e for effort though.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
wow everyone STOP comparing it to the 5970. the 5970 is 2 cards in 1. its 2 5870's. if they wanted to compare they would put 2 gtx 480's in SLI. however it doest look much better and my 5850 is a beastly monster

Status
Not open for further replies.