Nvidia CEO: The PC Has Lost its Magic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
The sluggish and unresponsive user interface, infinite boot times, disastrously designed registry and M$ Windoze abuse of virtual memory indicates that the PCs are anything but mature.

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Lads, I am looking forward as much as anyone else to seeing these new NVidia Fermi products coming out so I can upgrade my old 9800 GX2 (25219 3DMark06 is OK), but don't lose the run of yourselves, there's nothing out apart from some demos that use DX11 and tesselation yet so if NVidia loses out because people can't wait and buy ATI cards who cares...

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I swear that this global economic issue is getting in the heads of the big wigs. Instead of being positive in every way he had to throw so negativity out to the consumers. What ever happened to, "tell them what they want to hear" ? JMO

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
"The PC Has Lost its Magic"

Does this mean it's a good time to help losses by recycling last generation's high-end and calling it this generation's NEW mainstream GPU? Or is it too soon to do that again?

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Mature? Yet we still need 1000 watt PSU, Overheating/defective of Nvidia chipset hmmm?

It's a load of bullcrap. Well I'm still waiting for a GPU/CPU combo available for consumers that can do ray tracing.

metalfellow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I think what he means is that you can't carry your pc around with you and show the bling to your friends like you can with hand-held devices. It is all branding and ego trips these days, iPhone anyone?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Sure, designing a 3 billion transistors chip on a low-yield 40nm process is a mature enough decision.
It will cause lots of delays and when the boards will be on the shelves they will be extremely overpriced. I wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it, from fear of it bursting into flames.
Nvidia needs to grow up, a big/bad mouthed CEO will do them no good. They need more aces up their sleeves and I mean true innovation.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"PC has lost its magic"
this guy is an idiot!
Between Vista/Windows 7/ DirectX 10/11 multi core cpu's..we are just starting to break the surface.
IMO.... hardware developers need to stop milking the MHZ and MB bandwagon and make something extraordinary. What about 64bit computing?.. that was supposed to be the holy grail for PC's ..."lost its magic"?.. sounds more like you lost your ingenuity!
stop whining and make some magic.
If you make it... we will buy it!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
As far as the general population goes, yes the personal computer has reached a mature level and it has for a few years already. Except for my gamer friends, they all have computers more powerfull than they actually need. Going on facebook doesn't require 4 processors running at 3ghz with 8GB ram.

To put numbers to it, I would guess that only 10% of the computer buying people out there need something stronger because they use software that needs it. Like gamers, people that use virtual desktops, testing and development functions.

G

erm guys, there's a difference between matured and perfected especially when talking about products, boot times and power consumption are performance characteristics, and while they would greatly assist with the maturity of a product their absence does not preclude a product from maturing.

a product matures when it is able to realize and be utilized beyond it's initial potential, seeing as what PC of today are used for as opposed to 20 years ago, i would say the platform has matured nicely, that is not to say that we do not have room for improvements, there's always room for improvements.

Right now what is required is some radical innovation and some creative thinking to change the way we utilize our PCs

dont get me wrong, i still think his blow smoke out his backside about how GPU will be a game changer, but his assertion that the PC has matured would not be far wrong

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The Nvidia CEO foresees a future where gesture recognition and computer "vision" come into play, when a PC knows that its owner is sitting in front of the screen simply by observing the user's face, the way he moves and speaks. While that may sound a bit far-fetched and ripped straight out of a science fiction movie, Huang believes it to be a possibility in the next generation

Not to mention just a tad creepy.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
There are four stages in a product life cycle: Introductory, Growth, Maturity, and Decline. You'll likely learn about this in college if you take marketing classes.

...or, at least, the PC as we've come to know it today.

Jen-Hsun Huang is probably right. The PC (as we know it today) is most likely in the third stage, or the maturity stage - at least here in North America. It must undergo a major innovation to be called a "new product".

Most Americans already own a relatively functional PC that can do most of the things they expect it to do and therefore are not as thrilled about running out to get a new PC. Consumers don't rush out to get a slightly updated version of what they have as quickly as they would rush out and buy something amazing that they don't own yet. Give the guy a little credit, and please don't take anything people say out of context for webpage hits.

Luker3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
@mimi13

I agree completely. This is what I was thinking the entire time reading these posts. Maturity for a product is determined my the market space and user space. Just because it doesn't do something yet doesn't mean it isn't mature, those are just innovations. Sure in the infancy stage there are a lot of innovations, but as that slows down we consider the product to be mature. A product declines when innovations aren't enough to keep the market alive, and there is not way to really determine how long a lifespan of a market is. There can be boosts in innovation that causes the market to expand and we can stay they fall back into the growth stage, but they still are a mature market. BTW the market stages are Infancy, Growth, Mature, Decline.

After saying that, Jen-Hsun Huang can say what ever he wants about the future. If it doesn't come to pass, who cares. Unless he has something sitting in development, what he believes will happen has no bearing on what will happen in the market. And if it does happen, what? Does he get a pat on the back or something? I guess he makes bank if his company make it first. :D

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Make me a working GPU, that doesnt brake, doesnt have a jet fan, and is not a griddle heating unit. Then you may talk Mr. Jen-Hsun, till then Viva La Radion....

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
CPU makers are focusing on more #CPU Cores, less on CPU clock speeds. More cores allow users run multitasking more efficient. Remeber that your PC boots up slow because the OS limitation, your PC uses only one of the CPU cores to bootup, not all CPU Cores which includes your OS installation. Some of the games are still can't utilize all CPU cores. etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.