Nvidia CEO: The PC Has Lost its Magic

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Luker3[/nom]@mimi13I agree completely. This is what I was thinking the entire time reading these posts. Maturity for a product is determined my the market space and user space. Just because it doesn't do something yet doesn't mean it isn't mature, those are just innovations. Sure in the infancy stage there are a lot of innovations, but as that slows down we consider the product to be mature. A product declines when innovations aren't enough to keep the market alive, and there is not way to really determine how long a lifespan of a market is. There can be boosts in innovation that causes the market to expand and we can stay they fall back into the growth stage, but they still are a mature market. BTW the market stages are Infancy, Growth, Mature, Decline.After saying that, Jen-Hsun Huang can say what ever he wants about the future. If it doesn't come to pass, who cares. Unless he has something sitting in development, what he believes will happen has no bearing on what will happen in the market. And if it does happen, what? Does he get a pat on the back or something? I guess he makes bank if his company make it first.[/citation]

So basically you are saying it could be young again if hardware manufactures focused on creating new innovative things for the PC rather than trying to make stuff for the consoles. The only reason the PC has reached maturity is because there is no focus on PCs anymore due to the popularity of consoles. There could have been a huge change in PC hardware if they were the focus and companies could profit from that. Then PCs would not be mature now. The only reason to have a beefy PC is to play games. Even they are becoming fewer and crappier as developers go for the bucks and make console games.

I think consoles have stunted the growth of technology in this country and they are the reason PCs are "mature" now.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
It's not so much that the PC has lost its magic. The damned gaming creators have stopped supporting the PC. At every turn, you have game developers turning to the more profitable consoles (for idiots) because 1) they make much much more from licensing to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and pricing and 2) much less need to support 50 million different combinations of hardware. (if it don't work on your Xbox, your XBOX is messed up, not the game. )

Let's face it, the only reason people buy cutting edge PC's is for gaming. You don't need a multicore with 6 jillion gigs to surf the web. Intel, AMD/ATI, and Nvidia better invest heavily in their own gaming development software companies if they want to continue selling us hardware. If the PC dies as a gaming platform, so will their business and the drive for ever faster processors, graphics chips.

G

Maybe those with killer systems aren't "dazzled" anymore but i for one still am. Like the first time i tried a SSD drive. It was the OCZ Vertex and the snappiness of the drive convinced me to buy an SSD for myself. Or take it back about a year and a half when i upgraded from a 7300GT to a Radeon 2600XT. I was blown away at the difference i was getting in games. Even more when i went from that to a 3850 which i STILL use. Now to say that the PC has lost its magic only implies that you've lost your inspiration.

To a large extent I agree with him. I built my previous machine six years ago, and only replaced it when the southbridge died. It met all of my needs.
It is a mature product. We need massively more power for scientific work, gaming, and graphics. The vast majority of users are set and don't need any more power. Frankly, I'd like to get the same computer power in a smaller and cooler package, not more computer power.
That said, it's almost inevitable that some breakthrough change will come when a new killer app or mode of use comes into play. Like creating a GUI operating system so that non-techy people could use computers, then they would want one, and buying your own computer suddenly appealed to non-hobbyists.

Finally, on the one-second bootup. That is a software / process design issue, not a computer power thing. It would be ridiculous for me to buy a 100 times faster PC to improve my boot time, when mine meets all my current requirements. Re-design the boot process. How about running to a nearly-booted point and then storing a memory image? Just restore that image the next time, unless new software has been installed or some checksum of hardware configuration has changed. Someone come up with a better way to boot, please. The current way strikes me as buying a supercomputer to run an n-cubed algorithm when an l*log(n) algorithm exists.

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]The current way strikes me as buying a supercomputer to run an n-cubed algorithm when an l*log(n) algorithm exists.[/citation]
Of course, I meant "n*log(n)." Don't know how the "l" got in there.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
To be honest, I didn't read the rest of the comments, in a bit of a hurry. But as the article, not sure what this guy is on about. Asus already has a tool where the webcam can recognize a person and log them into Windows automatically, and it works fairly well. Microsoft's Natal could be used for gesture interfaces.

.. Okay, your future is at most a year, two years from now. Good job. What THEN?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
To be honest, I didn't read the rest of the comments, in a bit of a hurry. But as the article, not sure what this guy is on about. Asus already has a tool where the webcam can recognize a person and log them into Windows automatically, and it works fairly well. Microsoft's Natal could be used for gesture interfaces.

.. Okay, your future is at most a year, two years from now. Good job. What THEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.