Nvidia CEO: The PC Has Lost its Magic

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Reminds me of that kid on the play ground that claims to know Kung Fu. Same kid gets beat up by a science nerd then claims that he didn't use his Kung Fu, because he didn't want to "kill" the science nerd...

Mulder19

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
No more gimmicks, no motion sensing, no 3D. Just give me great gameplay & photorealism and I will still be wowed. Tessellation is an amazing advancement which his "mature" company does not yet support, although ATI has for a number of years. Also, give us real time ray-tracing. If this can be accomplished, I think people will still be blown away, especially since MS and Sony seem committed to their current consoles for the next few years.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Nah, YOU'VE lost your magic. I'm not partial to either NVIDIA or ATI (unlike some crazed fanboys out there) I buy the card with the best performance/price ratio.

And the last NVIDIA card I ever had was the 8800gt which was great for performance vs. price. Ever since then, all my new systems have been ATI's with the 4850, 4870, 4890. Lower your damned prices or increase performance. Damned if I'm paying an extra $40 for the same performing card.

NVIDIA is to ATI what AMD is to Intel, a has-been company tat's being beaten at every turn by its primary competitor.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
he's fishing, Nvidea is so far behind the ball that they are trying to get people to look the other way, ATI is top of the heap and will stay there for the next year, Fermi looks good on paper but from test models to production is a long ways to go, not to mention the fiasco with the bad chips last year, plus the price(Nvidea loves to rape customer)so we'll see if they can deliver or shoot themselves again, if AMD ever gets the driver thing fixed, Nvidea wil be playing catch up for a long time,AMD will be selling card for less that will be nearly as good in the worse case scenario, I even hate to think what the other possiblity is

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Sometimes I think this guy is out of touch with the pc community. How can he say the PC has lost its magic when it is the platform that drives innovation? If you look at game consoles these days, they are becoming more PC like. Most can surf the web, stream movies, and play games.

PC's are common place now, most households have them. Perhaps this is what he means by losing its magic.

G

I have not seen Nvidia did anything to change the computer world. There are no major change as in using a computer since the graphic interface was used. Sure, there are things that they come up with to make computering better, but not differently. A display card is still a display card from 2D, 3D, HD or whatever.

And I do not want to have a computer tells me what it thinks, I want to tell the computer what I think. I give instruction, the computer computes, period. The moment computer starts thinking about what I am thinking will be the end as it will fail. If human cannot do it, the computer will not be able to do so either.

Talking about magic? Give me Fermi tomorrow and I will stick with Nvidia for life.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]NVIDIA is to ATI what AMD is to Intel, a has-been company tat's being beaten at every turn by its primary competitor.[/citation]

Hahahahaha, so Intel is a has-been company that's being beaten at every turn? Time to wake up for school buddy.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]Hahahahaha, so Intel is a has-been company that's being beaten at every turn? Time to wake up for school buddy.[/citation]
Your thumbs down are for your reading and logic FAIL
nVidia is beaten by ATI
so
AMD is beaten by Intel, not the other way round
But also, some might say that AMD isnt a beaten company because it owns ATI so at least they have a win in some areas. Where's the gold at the end of the rainbow for vNidia?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]number13[/nom]plus the price(Nvidea loves to rape customer)[/citation]

5850 = $290
5870 = $400
5970 = $650

Thank god for ATI and their affordable pricing.... ;p

I think ATI is making some kickass cards but... at those prices I will just crossfire another 4850 and wait for something that is affordable "and" powerfull. I don't count 57xx and 56xx cards as they get beaten by many previous gen cards, when a game is released that really requires DX11 it will destroy those cards at any resolution I would be interested in.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Your thumbs down are for your reading and logic[/citation]

I'll give you reading fail as I am multitasking quite heavily at the moment and 100% misread that. Logic, I don't see how my logic is flawed simply because I read too fast.

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I see an awful lot of comments here that look like outright jabs at the manufacturers. However you feel about NVidia or Huang personally, I think some people are missing the point.

A PC was once in a rapid development race to keep pace with new software and the demands of the mainstream user. Consider that a new machine bought any time in the 90s was pretty much obsolete six months later.

That's no longer the case. PCs and electronic gadgets with similar functionality (smartphones, etc) have become so ubiquitous that no one is really *that* impressed anymore. Sure, some of us enthusiasts follow it because we love it. But for the most part, the hardware is comfortably ahead of the software such that your average user isn't left in the dust twice a year.

Sure, the next new thing might do something incrementally faster or more effeciently or in a smaller form factor. But we're at the point where the last iteration can still pretty much do the basic things that shiny new thing can.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]I'll give you reading fail as I am multitasking quite heavily at the moment and 100% misread that. Logic, I don't see how my logic is flawed simply because I read too fast.[/citation]
I'll refer you to the statement I made afterwards, you were commenting on someone else and I was backing you up.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]CptTripps[/nom]5850 = $2905870 = $4005970 = $650Thank god for ATI and their affordable pricing.... ;pI think ATI is making some kickass cards but... at those prices I will just crossfire another 4850 and wait for something that is affordable "and" powerfull. I don't count 57xx and 56xx cards as they get beaten by many previous gen cards, when a game is released that really requires DX11 it will destroy those cards at any resolution I would be interested in.[/citation]
Your logic is very skewed my friend. First your wrongful interpretation of the comparison above and now you dissing the fact that ATI has higher prices now?...Time for you to take a business 101 class about supply/demand and competition...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
What's Nvidia done for my sense of awe lately? Attempt to leverage a proprietary Physics API, so that developers don't try to include that many effects in their games? Payoff developers who supported DX 10.1, since their hardware couldn't meet DX10.1 compliance and still compete with ATI? Even with parallel processing, they leverage CUDA, instead of contributing to OpenCL.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the Fermi architecture (its fascinating how they made changes, to the cache for example, that improve performance in parallel processing and normal graphics horsepower), but I'm not EVER going to be excited about CUDA, or Psysx, or any of Nvidia's proprietary bullshit. And when I see a TWIMTBP stamp on a game, I don't think "Yay, Nvidia helped make the game better", I think "Shit, I wonder how Nvidia held back progress on this one..."

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]darraghcoy[/nom]He's right. I miss being able to go into a computer store and actually have a decent selection of PC games to choose from. I miss having unique titles exclusive to the PC instead of all half-arsed console ports. I miss being able to pop in the CD, install and then play the game without downloading 2GB of data to 'authenticate' my copy. I miss being able to install and uninstall the game as many times as I like, or on newly purchased machines. I miss the simplicity of buying and comparing hardware, 200 MHz CPU vs 300 MHz? I miss operating systems that don't take 5 minutes to boot and which can actually keep up with my typing (on high end hardware). I miss not having popups or antivirus software or other nagware bothering me in the middle of a game.There's a lot to be annoyed about if your PC gamer these days.[/citation]
. . . you forgot the "and you don't know how to properly set up a computer" at the end.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
No wonder Nvidia is taking too long to launch the new GPU...
The president is more concerned in giving interviews than actually doing his job wich is to maku sure everything is running smoothly..

Nvidia, You should get a new CEO

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Your logic is very skewed my friend. First your wrongful interpretation of the comparison above and now you dissing the fact that ATI has higher prices now?...Time for you to take a business 101 class about supply/demand and competition...[/citation]

So my logic is skewed because why?

1) I pointed out that ATI has high prices to someone proclaiming that Nvidia rapes the customer.

2) I simply stated ATI is raping the customer right now because "they can", same as Nvidia does when "they can".

Another thing mr. business 101. You think I don't know why prices went up? What exactly did I say that led you too that assumption genius?

Don't try to make my statement into something it was not. You did not even misinterpret, you simply tried to create something from nothing which had bearing on what I was saying. Which logic is more skewed?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I've been around since the days of the Commodore VIC 20 (launched in 1980) and the leaps in hardware and software have hit a bit of a wall from where I sit.

The new gfx cards don't offer us anything that significant. At best they allow us to do what we did last year but on larger monitors at higher resolutions. The introduction of the Quad Core CPU isn’t revolutionizing the PC. It’s nice to be able to do a virus scan while I game, but I hardly call that magical or revolutionary.

There was a time when I was excited about up and coming PC games. But now it seems that all I can look forward to is the same game from yesterday with better lighting or slightly higher poly counts.

When the original Doom came out, that was a big WOW in the PC world and it opened up the floodgates to the world of FPS gaming that we know today. Years later the internet was born, and again… WOW. Those are some of the biggies that made everyone's head turn and helped to shape the PC world of today.

In summary, most of what we see in the PC world these days is not much more than evolutionary advancements. I don’t think I will feel “the magic” until the next revolution hits us. 3D holographic gaming anyone?

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
While I understand some of the criticism about Mr. Huang's statements, I also believe there's a lot of validity to them. The fact is, for me at least, getting my hands on a new powerful PC just doesn't hold the excitement as it once did during the halcyon days. This is doubly mind boggling when I consider that I can get a nice i7 based system for sub-$1000 where I gladly paid over $1000 for a then new 486 based system.

I blame the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.