[SOLVED] Nvidia control panel power management mode only applied after restart pc

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hello guys!

I just want to ask that is it normal that in nvidia control panel the power management mode only applied after I restart my pc? I have a gigabyte RTX2060 wf rev 2.0.

Problem reproduction:
  • Go to NVCP
  • Set power management to prefer max performance.
  • Now restart the computer (to let's be sure)
  • Check your core clock mhz and GPU temp on idle with GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner. For me its 1365 mhz and 50 celius on idle.
  • Now go to NVCP again
  • Set power management back to optimal or adaptive ( I use optimal )
  • now without any pc restart check your GPU core clock and temp on idle. For me it stays on 1365 mhz and 50 celsius like in max performance mode.
  • Now restart PC and check again these values without any change in NVCP. For me core clock goes down to 300 mhz and 44 celsius on idle.
I read a lot of post where people say NVCP settings are applied immediately. And this is true about FPS limiter, vsync... but not for power management mode. The problem is on my side, or people are talking nonsense silly things?

Solution
Hello guys. I did further testing and I realised a thing. That changing NVCP power management mode does not applied to idle without PC restarting. (at least for me)
(Idle = nothing opened, even not a chrome browser)

Example: So lets say I turn on the computer with optimal performance power management mode in NVCP. The core clock on idle (nothing opened, just MSI afterburner) is 300 mhz. Then I go to NVCP and set the power management to prefer max performance and click apply. The GPU clock on idle stays at 300 mhz. (Note that If I restart PC its 1365 mhz on idle with max performance mode) But when I run a game the GPU core clock immediately goes up to 1365 mhz, and when the game loaded and I start to play the core clock boosts up...

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hello guys. I did further testing and I realised a thing. That changing NVCP power management mode does not applied to idle without PC restarting. (at least for me)
(Idle = nothing opened, even not a chrome browser)

Example: So lets say I turn on the computer with optimal performance power management mode in NVCP. The core clock on idle (nothing opened, just MSI afterburner) is 300 mhz. Then I go to NVCP and set the power management to prefer max performance and click apply. The GPU clock on idle stays at 300 mhz. (Note that If I restart PC its 1365 mhz on idle with max performance mode) But when I run a game the GPU core clock immediately goes up to 1365 mhz, and when the game loaded and I start to play the core clock boosts up to around fix 1980 mhz and stays around there even when the GPU usage is only 75-80%.

I asked this originally because I wanted to set game profiles in NVCP and I was afraid of the NVCP just can't change onboard the power management mode, but it can. Just on idle it does not work, only after a PC restart. But for now Im sure I can leave power mode on optimal in NVCP and I will create game profiles with power management mode to max performance and it will work.

I hope I was able to help those who were looking for the answer to the same question or was interested in how this works.

Have a good day fellas! <3

Solution