Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

People said similar things about AMD for the last 15 years or so. They're still around :D

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

I'm not saying it's a death sentence for the company as a whole, I fear it might be for the market share in 2017, though.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Oh okay, well. As long as you're not a share holder I wouldn't worry about it. AMD were on going out of business too many times according to the forums haha. Back then it was mostly on Xtremesystems though...

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Not a market holder, but if there's less revenue for AMD, there's less money for development of future cards. That means they can't compete as hard which in turn is bad for us, consumers that just want the best product for the least amount of money.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Cost aside, rivalries are what push evolution. So I certainly don't want either side to win or lose. The competition makes us all the winners in the long run. But yeah, people have been saying AMD is done for since the early 2000s. ALSO, sorry for straying off topic!

is it? back in the 90s/ early 2000s we glad there is so many competition in gpu space. but in the end the intense "competition" what end up making this gpu companies killing/devouring each other :p . and now here were are. we only have AMD and nvidia to really compete when it comes to gpu. AMD while they still competing toe to toe with nvidia their solution cannot come out fast enough.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Tom's did a small round-up of a handful of 1070 cards. posted this morning http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-graphics-card-roundup,4751.html

and over the next week i will finally have time to get back to work on the first page of this thread. been very busy this holiday season and am finally finishing up everything i had to do. soon as everything settles down i'll start updating links to reviews for the newer cards and trying to finish up an easy to read performance chart for all the cards. just a ton of info to go through and it's taking longer than i thought it would.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
wish i knew :D

i don't have anything to do with the reviewers or their articles. i only link what i find. hopefully they can add more as they go. i was most interested in the Gigabyte mini. so much power in such a small package, i had to know what kind of performance hit it took being smaller and thus harder to cool. but a touch better than FE and only a few fps less than the full sized cards is pretty good out of such a small package.

from the article itself "We will continue to update this roundup as new test samples become available. Some are already in the lab; others are en route"

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd guess they will wait until we get more solid info n vega. seems to be the way they like to do it. we'll see vega then 2 weeks later get the 1080ti which will beat it so the fanboys have something to cheer about when vega competes with the 1080 for less money. ;)

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Also think this lack of 1080i info is a buzzkill. I know it's all rumors until something actually gets release, but I thought mid January we were going to have both cards...

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

I am sure CES will clear up a lot and maybe even give us some official data on both but I wouldn't expect to see a card in store before march.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Gives me more time to save up for upgrades on 2-3 machines -_-

if you have been following rumors a few months back vega launch time frame was in 1H 2017. so many expect AMD to release vega in Q2 2017 because on the same leaked investor slide deck AMD clearly mention what product they intend to release in Q1 (zen). AMD mentioned 1H 2017 most likely they are not confident to release Vega in Q1 2017 but it is not outright impossible.

nvidia 1080ti has been rumored to get showcased at CES for quite sometime. bioware will show mass effect (PC version) at nvidia CES event next year. maybe 1080ti have something to do with it.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55662/nvidia-tease-mass-effect-andromeda-pc-next-week/index.html

the PCB already quite small which is good. but the cooler itself was bigger than the card itself which to me defeating the purpose to make 1080 with such small PCB? they should make it into complete ITX version.....

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd assume it would work with less cooling but would of course run warmer. but even if it hit FE temps at half the size, it would still be a winner. it is rather amusing that it is almost 100mm shorter than their other cards, but then their other cards are longer than most other brands. so "mini" compared to other brands is not as dramatic as against their own line-up.

but in the end it is still rather short for so much power. 210mm is still short enough for just about any case out there.

CM Elite 361!

Also, the Thermaltake SD200 that I still have and want to resurrect someday with a new APU or something XD

Cheers! :p

NVIDIA GeForce 20 Pascal Refresh For 2017 Allegedly Includes GTX 2080 Ti, 2080 & 2070 Cards With GDDR5X Memory & Faster Clock Speeds

Anybody familiar with its authenticity??? http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-volta-gpu-leaked-2017-2018/

that is wccftech making business as usual. 2.5Ghz GTX1080 and 1.6Ghz RX480 FTW :D

I thought so too, but still wanted to be sure. :D