Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4 GB: Dual GK104, Announced

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
paper launch! paper launch!...
wheres tomshardwares mention of availability?... this is obsolutely a paper launch!... tomshardware trashed AMD for a "paper launch" ... nvidia does the "same" thing... (only different).. i wonder does tomshardware have one?... OR has Nvidia threatened them with the don't mention paper launch "or else"...

have you checked the price of two 7970's? they are 459(918 for two) before rebate for a sapphire 950/1000 7970 from newegg... (last time I checked). GOOD LUCK nvidia!, going to be a tough time beating two 7970's

paper launch! paper launch! paper launch! paper launch!

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
This is an official announcement. Not a launch and not a review. Don't know why people get mad about an official announcement making it to the news, when there are plenty of meaningless rumors that flood the segment every day. When AMD announces their equivalent card, i will be here to check the specs again.

I don't care what brand is better. I want competition - i want the best value for my money.

G

What is the point in releasing a new card when these ppl r not even able to supply their existing 680. The way everything is we will certainly see thiese cards in good number in year 2013.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Well I full read the preview on Nvidia, sorry but.. amd better have something up it's sleeve besides lower price. as it stands it can not touch this thing.. if they sell 7990 for 799 I can easily waste 1k+ (warranty) on the Geforce GTX 690.

Well played Nvidia, I got no problem with amd. I have a 6770 in my pc right now, was looking to upgrade to an asus gtx 680 directCU II, I am not skeptical of asus it is just that.. that gtx 690 made me drool. I'll probably still get the gtx 680 non reference from asus directcu II ;).

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
What is the point in releasing a new card when these ppl r not even able to supply their existing 680. The way everything is we will certainly see thiese cards in good number in year 2013.

Ajaxmaru, that is probably a good thing. Now you can spend your time saving money to put away for this monster of a beast.

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I don't understand why does nvidia have to "announce" this incredible product. Its like them saying "our next product is going to be a GPU and it can be used to play games". We all know there are still multiple GPUs to be launched in the kepler family.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I dunno, waiting for some 5760 x 1080 benchmarks. I know its way faster then my current setup, but for that much dough I think i'd opt for 4gb 680's instead.

Performance that’s comparable to two GeForce GTX 680s, a significantly lower combined thermal ceiling, less noise—what’s the catch?
Chris - I look forward to another fantastic review! :sol:
Hope there's no 'catch' or certainly not the 'catch' of the GTX 590. Double-check the PCIe 3.0 'slot' wattage, the spec is confusing.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]True, but it should generally scale better in Crossfire than the two 680s do in SLi. I think what we need to ask is what would AMD do to the clocks in order to get a supposed 7990 out the door - two 7950s and not 7970s for a start, possibly?The 680s have the edge in power consumption and even then, NVIDIA has dropped their clocks slightly.[/citation]

:p ya i read somewhere online that they delayed 7990. They would first note the performance of the competitors.. and the adjust their cards... :)

Nice card. The price is a similar situation to the 7970, start with an unreasonably high price and lower it once you are forced to. I would expect this one to come down in price after the 7990 comes out. All the same, they are selling every one they make, so there's not a lot of pressure to lower prices. The GTX 690 will sell out just as quickly as the GTX 680.

battletoad_boy

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I guess Nvidia was too busy trying to sell everybody on their latest and greatest instead of fixing the massive stuttering issues of the 680. Doesn't matter if single card or SLI, these cards are busted right now for many people. Vsync also is really screwed up.

Here's a month old 10 page thread at Nvidias offical forums (where nvidia has remained completely silent on the issue.) READ THIS BEFORE BUYING A 600 SERIES CARD. Dont just take toms word that the card is fine (how long did it take toms to admit microstuttering was a real thing?)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226227&st=0

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]redeye[/nom]paper launch! paper launch!...wheres tomshardwares mention of availability?... this is obsolutely a paper launch!... tomshardware trashed AMD for a "paper launch" ... nvidia does the "same" thing... (only different).. i wonder does tomshardware have one?... OR has Nvidia threatened them with the don't mention paper launch "or else"...have you checked the price of two 7970's? they are 459(918 for two) before rebate for a sapphire 950/1000 7970 from newegg... (last time I checked). GOOD LUCK nvidia!, going to be a tough time beating two 7970'spaper launch! paper launch! paper launch! paper launch![/citation]

Read the story :) This is a news item. Review is forthcoming. And I voiced my expectation that availability of this will be pretty sparse.

Status
Not open for further replies.