News Nvidia, Newegg Address Non-Existent RTX 3080 Availability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

major_mayhem

Reputable
Aug 3, 2018
Maybe people should start trolling and harassing scalpers ... I saw this in another forum ....

"I wounder if you have to give ebay purchase information before you bid or until after you win the bid.

I'm thinking of creating some shade ebay accounts and go on a fun shopping spree where I run up the bids on these and neg out on the purchase when I win; then troll the seller for being a Major Alpha Hotel.

Ebay will more than likely ban my account, which is the purpose of the shade account for trolling in the first place.

Ya some times I can be a really Major Alpha Hotel myself

This whole poop party has left me with a major urge to get some payback! "

:D

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Can't believe all the people that are so ticked off . The alternative would be that Nvidia could have waited until December to build up inventory before launching and allowing reviews of the 3000 series. Does anyone really think that would have been a better idea?

In a month or so Nvidia will start to achieve production demand equilibrium. with pricing and availability settling down. AMD fanboys should be excited as AMD may well release their new cards before this occurs and there will be an alternative option.

In the interim, I have no problem with Nvidia shipping and selling these hot off the production line. Its not like Nvidia reserved the first years production to only go to pre-built PCs. That WOULD have ticked me off.

Last edited:

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
From what I've heard, Sumsung's 8nm node might be having issues with low yields at this point, so if anything, the large 630mm chips that the 2080 and 2090 are using are more likely to result in less usable area per wafer compared to the smaller chips.

Samsung is having problems with its 7nm EUV process. 8LPP is relatively old technology. Samsung uses it to make entry-level Exynos chips. Yields have got to be good since these are high-volume low-margin parts.

I suspect board makers will make more problems sourcing GDDR6X than Ampere silicon.

Samsung is having problems with its 7nm EUV process. 8LPP is relatively old technology. Samsung uses it to make entry-level Exynos chips. Yields have got to be good since these are high-volume low-margin parts.

I suspect board makers will make more problems sourcing GDDR6X than Ampere silicon.
Nvidia bundles memory with their GPU chips.
Board partners do not have to source it.
That way board partners do not have to source it and all cards perform very much the same.

Reactions: Chung Leong

Old H-Ware Tech

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Nope it wouldn't, you're missing the point of preorders. Sure the 1st batch would be sold to scalpers and those who really want it, but it's like reserving your spot, where you are put in a queue and given an extimated date when your batch should be available. So say you land up in batch 3 that is 8 weeks out, you can just wait 8 weeks to get your product. That way you're not rushing randomly everytime some random store has a supply for cards. Also less incentive to buy from scalpers for a lot of people.

Valve did a great job with the Index HMD sales to implement this.
Bottom line: This was a paper launch and Nvidia doesn't care about it's customers. If they did, they would try to make it easier for gamers (not scalpers) to get this card.

Corporations are profit seeking entities. Regardless of whether a card is sold to a scalper, miner, or gamer that's a card sold. Company owners don't care who buys as long as they move cards.

USAFRet

Titan
Nope it wouldn't, you're missing the point of preorders. Sure the 1st batch would be sold to scalpers and those who really want it, but it's like reserving your spot, where you are put in a queue and given an extimated date when your batch should be available. So say you land up in batch 3 that is 8 weeks out, you can just wait 8 weeks to get your product. That way you're not rushing randomly everytime some random store has a supply for cards. Also less incentive to buy from scalpers for a lot of people.

Valve did a great job with the Index HMD sales to implement this.
Bottom line: This was a paper launch and Nvidia doesn't care about it's customers. If they did, they would try to make it easier for gamers (not scalpers) to get this card.
If, for instance, they had opened up "pre orders" on 1 Sep at 0900...please tell us how they wouldn't have been sold out by 0903?
There are/were only so many physical devices.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... The alternative would be that Nvidia could have waited until December to build up inventory before launching and allowing reviews of the 3000 series. Does anyone really think that would have been a better idea?
In a month or so Nvidia will start to achieve production demand equilibrium. ...
If they held the sales 'til December there should be sufficient in supply, yes.
That doesn't mean an absolute demand to hold back reviews that long.
... and I think a delay in sale start would hurt Nvidia more, given that the new cards from AMD will be competitive and on sale before December.

I also don't think the Nvidia cards will be in good supply as soon as in a month. They might be is good stock by X-mas, especially if most customers prefer the new AMD cards by then...

So, given the short supply and high demand, one way to fling the first batch at less of a rush would be to do an auction (some day or two after reviews are out).
Those willing to buy have some time before the start of the auction to provide secret bids.
Those that give the top bids then get to participate in the actual auction. If there are five cards available the auction goes on until there are only five bidders left and those pay the same price to get one card each.

How on earth are people willing to spend that much? I wouldnt spend that much even if it was in INR forget USD.

Here in the US many believe covid is a hoax, don't believe in global warming and we elected a reality TV personalty to run our country. You shouldn't be surprised people would overpay for a graphics card as that is kind of small potatoes in the grand scheme of all the irrational things going on today.

If you need five minutes to check out, you are awfully slow. If you were logged into your NewEgg account with payment and shipping details on file, check-out takes 30 seconds to confirm your payment method and shipping address. (Not counting time wasted on site slow-downs and errors from heavy traffic.)

LOL Wasn't really my point. I mean lets get real Nvidia had so little stock they couldn't even have these for sale longer than 5 minutes regardless of stupid bots. Its all planned. trust me what you will see now is AIB's flood the market for $100+ higher prices. The FE edition will mostly stay out of stock due to "high demand" and Nvidia will enjoy the higher margins.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
I also don't think the Nvidia cards will be in good supply as soon as in a month. They might be is good stock by X-mas, especially if most customers prefer the new AMD cards by then...

Supply should improve a lot in a few weeks, once cards shipped by sea start to reach American shores. The cost of air freight is still very much elevated. Board makers don't really have an incentive to eat the cost. As long as shelves are stocked in time for Black Friday, they're good.

I imagine a healthy supply of 3070s are on their way as well.

Reactions: Gurg

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I busted my ass yesterday to get home from an appointment only to watch all these sites get chewed up and spit out from buy bot attacks in 60 seconds. This was over and done by 9:01. The vendors CHOOSE to let this continue at launches. Make no mistake about it. This might be the year I switch from green to red. This artificial supply and demand crap is <Mod Edit>.

Aug 16, 2020
This is <Mod Edit>. I was like many others behind many websites (best buy, newegg, amazon, evga) (Canada country). I was refreshing pages from 8h50 to 9h05 like a crazy person and I saw "Add to card" button on newegg but when I clicked error message appears...

About notifications, this won't work for high traffic since too many people subscribe and their system is too slow to be effective so you will receive always notification at least 1h after... Notifications works for products that have been launched for a long time.

When They said that they try to prevent bots, I'm not sure... First, rate limiting isn't in place and it should.. Second , for such launch, they should add at least a captcha.

They know the launch and the traffics. They have experiences (it's not their first launch, you know) I'm wondering if it will be the same for the RTX 3090 and if it's not, I bet that it was intentional from nvidia. Giving low stocks on 3080 and 3070, and a better availability to 3090. Some people could say no because clients can buy AMD GPU but if RTX 30XX is the better product (will see in review) people will stay with nvidia and I'm sure, some studies have been done. Nothing is left to hazard. We speak about a lot of money here... Do you think that they was really surprised ?

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
When They said that they try to prevent bots, I'm not sure... First, rate limiting isn't in place and it should.. Second , for such launch, they should add at least a captcha.
If the web site had limits on how fast you can refresh the page, you refreshing the page like a crazy b1tch might have gotten you and a bunch of other people temporarily locked out of the site for spamming refresh, which may actually worsen your chances of getting through to place an order since scalpers and crypto farms likely have far greater means to spam the site from multiple IPs than you do once their primary machine or IP gets temporarily blacklisted.

The simplest way to limit sales to scalpers and crypto farms is to limit sales to one or two per billing address and not take anonymous pre-paid cards or ship to POBs. Spam the site however much you like, you still only get one order per address regardless of how many different credit cards you may own at your billing or shipping address.

CAPTCHAs are mostly useless since AIs can solve those faster and more accurately than humans.

Aug 16, 2020
CAPTCHAs are mostly useless since AIs can solve those faster and more accurately than humans.

It's not available to most people. Standard captcha like Google Captcha is enough strong for most bots. And actually this is the safest and the easiest to do and I pretty sure that It could been enough for this launch.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020
There is different behaviours on a captcha. One integration is to detect if you are a bot and Google captcha analyse your ip and traffics etc... If you are identified like a person, you have nothing to do otherwise you need to click to images or answer a stupid question... But you shouldn't be detected as a bot in first place and I found this solution better than what we see in this launch. The cost of this integration is nothing!