NVIDIA nForce 590/680i For Conroe, Where Are They? HERE!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Guys, I have a small update, but still an update. I called ASUS, and the guy told me they're working on the BIOS of the new 590 SLI intel edition board, and to call back next week and they should have a date set. He made it sound like a lot of them are coming out soon, so I'm cautiously hoping they'll be out by the time the Core 2 Extreme actually is in stock to ship (1-2 weeks). So you can bet that when Monday comes, I'm dialing ASUS again :D
-Paul

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
Guys, I have a small update, but still an update. I called ASUS, and the guy told me they're working on the BIOS of the new 590 SLI intel edition board, and to call back next week and they should have a date set. He made it sound like a lot of them are coming out soon, so I'm cautiously hoping they'll be out by the time the Core 2 Extreme actually is in stock to ship (1-2 weeks). So you can bet that when Monday comes, I'm dialing ASUS again :D
-Paul

Nice info ^^, thanks a lot.

second_derivative

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The E6300 can actually OC the best, almost as much as the X6800 can if u can believe that, close to 4Ghz.

how do you define OCing "best": %increase, or MHz increase, or top clock reached??

However, don't confuse this with being as fast as an X6800, because even tho they're both at the same core speed, the performance is much better on the X6800.

if you OC an E6300 to the same clock as an X6800, you will have essentially equal performance (within 10% due to the larger cache) because the core architecture is identical for the two. Your claim is completely absurd.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Is there going to be a big difference from this board Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nForce4 SLI?

Should i get p5w deluxde or Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe nForce4 SLI?

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Sorry man, I asked nVidia about it on their website along with when it would be out, but they only answered my question about the release date. Where did u hear about linkboost not being available on the intel boards?

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
how do you define OCing "best": %increase, or MHz increase, or top clock reached??

I meant % increase, and I would show you the example, but for some reason I can't remember where I read the review. Anandtech only had the E6300 up to 2.6Ghz, while the E6400 reached 2.88Ghz, but that was on stock cooling. I'm sure I saw somewhere the 6300 reach near 4Ghz, that was surely on liquid cooling tho. Maybe I'm full of bs, but I just am sure I saw it.

if you OC an E6300 to the same clock as an X6800, you will have essentially equal performance (within 10% due to the larger cache) because the core architecture is identical for the two. Your claim is completely absurd.

hahaha, ya I shouldn't have worded it like that, but you could have pointed it out to me a little nicer than that :eek: I was sure I'd seen a review where they were compared, but even at close to the same clock speed the 6800 had performed quite a bit higher... even higher than u'd think the cache would account for.... that was at the highest overclocks you can get. I would think that there would be SOMETHING different in the 6300 other than the cache, because they're only designed to run at 1.86Ghz. Anyway, I can't find the review I want, but here's a really good review on overclocking them, and actually the 6400 is a very good overclocker as well.
-Paul

second_derivative

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
yeah you're right. i'm sorry, didn't mean to bite your head off. just when i read it, it sounded like you were saying something dumb like "X6800 is always better.. it's got a higher number."

i don't think % increase is a good measure. since the lower processors start at a lower clock, the same increase in frequency is more percentage wise. making it seem like the processor has more headroom (which to me is the important measure). people use % it seems when they want to impress... eg "i got a 50% increase on my CPU" neglecting to say that they started at 1.3Ghz. whereas a 10% increase on a 2Ghz CPU doesn't sound as impressive but still yields better performance.

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
haha, no problem. Ya, that's a good point... it does seem better to measure more in terms of amount of increase instead of %. I've seen the X6800 oc'd to 3.6Ghz, and the E6400 to 2.88Ghz. The 2.88 was on stock cooling, can't remember about the 3.6, but if that was stock cooling too, they seem to all be able to be bumped up around 700Mhz stock. Pretty solid. I'm not too excited about overclocking a 1000$ processor tho... I'll probably play around with it, but I doubt I'll take it too far.

But anyway, I guess we're getting off topic now... but we gotta find something to talk about til next week or whenever we hear about a date for the 590.

second_derivative

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
yes, i can't wait to see how the Asus 590 mobos compare to p5w dh in speed and cost. since i am pretty set on getting an nvidia card it would be nice to have the option of SLI later on. plus i bet Asus will cram that motherboard full of nice features too :D

amater100

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I don't know where I read aboute it but it was at the end of may when they released the nforce 500 for amd. It was interview whit guys from nvidia and they said that at the beginning the intel edition motherboards
will not have the linkboost at the beginning
and if you go to nvidia home page you will not find linkboost at the chipset caracteristics list
I found this at www.hexus.net
"It's interesting to note that NVIDIA isn't specifying any PCIe bus overclocking, a la LinkBoost, here.

It will be up to motherboard manufacturers to implement them the way they see fit"

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I don't know where I read aboute it but it was at the end of may when they released the nforce 500 for amd. It was interview whit guys from nvidia and they said that at the beginning the intel edition motherboards
will not have the linkboost at the beginning
and if you go to nvidia home page you will not find linkboost at the chipset caracteristics list
I found this at www.hexus.net
"It's interesting to note that NVIDIA isn't specifying any PCIe bus overclocking, a la LinkBoost, here.

It will be up to motherboard manufacturers to implement them the way they see fit"

Well if it's up to the motherboard manufacturer, then maybe ASUS will put it on their board right away. I'll try to remember and ask the tech rep. when I call on Monday. I'm curious about the reasoning behind nVidia doing that tho.

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Thanks for the review, I found this paragraph really interesting:

Add multi-GPU support and raise the resolution to 1920x1200 along with some image enhancement, so CrossFire for the ATI and Intel chipsets and SLI for the two NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Editions, and ATI comes out on top, not that an average framerate in excess of 100FPS is slow. Run, say, Quake 4 and the positions would change. With settings as high as these it matters not which CPU is used; they're GPU limited for the most part. What nForce 590 SKI I.E. does is allow you to opt for SLI or CrossFire. It's all about choice, and we welcome it for that.

Someone had asked if u could have crossfire on the 590 SLI, and I guess there's the answer, you can! That's big, because we don't know which DX10 gpu is going to be better, the ATI card or nVidia. If u want to be able to have multi-gpu with either option, the 590 SLI is the only board that will support that right now...

Our final judgement on its effectiveness will be made once a few tier-1 vendors ship us their retail boards, with ASUS currently leading that race.

So what does that mean!!!??? When??? lol, no one knows, damnit!

I'm going to read the review on EPP RAM later, I don't have time now, but does it really make a noticeable difference? My Mushkin Redline PC28000 DDR1066 RAM is going to be here tomorrow, but maybe I should send it back for some EPP RAM? hmmmmmmm, what do u guys think?
-Paul

edit: Ok, I read the hexus review on EPP ram, and this one from THG, and basically, it doesn't give you any performance increase, it just guarantees the overclocks will be stable. I sort of compare it to the XFX Geforce 7950GX2 Extreme edition. Normal 7950GX2s are 500Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory clocks, but the extreme edition factory overclocks them to 520 and 1300 and, since it's done in the factory, it's guaranteed. But, you can still buy a normal card and most, if not all, of the time, have stable overclocks, it's just not guaranteed. With EPP RAM, it's like a factory overclock of RAM, so it's just easier to overclock, and it's guaranteed stable. However, I don't know how much more it will cost, and if you just buy good quality RAM, like my Mushkin redline, then I can just play around with the BIOS myself, and pretty much be guaranteed it's stable.

The biggest thing I want to know is this: will EPP overclock to the absolute limit, or will it go to the "safe" overclock. If it would not go to the limit (still being safe voltages for everything, but still the limit) then to me, it would make no sense to buy it if you want to go to that safe limit, because you'd have to overclock it more yourself anyway, voiding the guarantee, and wasting your extra money. I guess the only thing it would get you would be saving you a bit of time, because it does most of the work for you.

Am I understanding this right, or am I off here?

amater100

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
i think that role of the epp ram is with linkboost this one will OC the ram,..
during you'll play games or when it will be needed

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks for the review, I found this paragraph really interesting:

Add multi-GPU support and raise the resolution to 1920x1200 along with some image enhancement, so CrossFire for the ATI and Intel chipsets and SLI for the two NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Editions, and ATI comes out on top, not that an average framerate in excess of 100FPS is slow. Run, say, Quake 4 and the positions would change. With settings as high as these it matters not which CPU is used; they're GPU limited for the most part. What nForce 590 SKI I.E. does is allow you to opt for SLI or CrossFire. It's all about choice, and we welcome it for that.

Someone had asked if u could have crossfire on the 590 SLI, and I guess there's the answer, you can! That's big, because we don't know which DX10 gpu is going to be better, the ATI card or nVidia. If u want to be able to have multi-gpu with either option, the 590 SLI is the only board that will support that right now...

Our final judgement on its effectiveness will be made once a few tier-1 vendors ship us their retail boards, with ASUS currently leading that race.

So what does that mean!!!??? When??? lol, no one knows, damnit!

I'm going to read the review on EPP RAM later, I don't have time now, but does it really make a noticeable difference? My Mushkin Redline PC28000 DDR1066 RAM is going to be here tomorrow, but maybe I should send it back for some EPP RAM? hmmmmmmm, what do u guys think?
-Paul

edit: Ok, I read the hexus review on EPP ram, and this one from THG, and basically, it doesn't give you any performance increase, it just guarantees the overclocks will be stable. I sort of compare it to the XFX Geforce 7950GX2 Extreme edition. Normal 7950GX2s are 500Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory clocks, but the extreme edition factory overclocks them to 520 and 1300 and, since it's done in the factory, it's guaranteed. But, you can still buy a normal card and most, if not all, of the time, have stable overclocks, it's just not guaranteed. With EPP RAM, it's like a factory overclock of RAM, so it's just easier to overclock, and it's guaranteed stable. However, I don't know how much more it will cost, and if you just buy good quality RAM, like my Mushkin redline, then I can just play around with the BIOS myself, and pretty much be guaranteed it's stable.

The biggest thing I want to know is this: will EPP overclock to the absolute limit, or will it go to the "safe" overclock. If it would not go to the limit (still being safe voltages for everything, but still the limit) then to me, it would make no sense to buy it if you want to go to that safe limit, because you'd have to overclock it more yourself anyway, voiding the guarantee, and wasting your extra money. I guess the only thing it would get you would be saving you a bit of time, because it does most of the work for you.

Am I understanding this right, or am I off here?

if you can run crossfire on an nVidia board, shouldn't they drop the "SLI" from the name? And could you send the link for that? I find it hard seeing Nvidia allowing for ATI to throw themselves into nVidia based boards. That's almost like saying, AMD will fit in an Intel Socket! 8O

Elki

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
ok so just to clear up everything, i'm about to get a new Core 2 system, how much time before Asus is about to release those 590 boards?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
your guess is just as good as ours :(

you could do what I did and go ahead and order your C2D :p

this almost feels like when the XBOX 360 came out :p

Except Intel has shipments comming... at least they better have! :evil:

Please, don't be like Microsoft and not have another shipment for a month!!!! I have to start back to school by then :(

Prkchpsndwiches

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I too have been feverously looking for a release date for the intl 590's. Glad I'm not the only one lol. I e-mailed nvidia a few days ago to receive this response:

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

Due to the competitive nature of this business, we can not discuss information on unannounced future products. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

Sounds like you guys did a little better than me lol. Looks like Asus is the one to talk to. BTW that was sent back to me on Aug. 1st. (For FYI's sake)

Also I know this is the motherboard forum, but I have reall been looking at the E6700 over the X6800 as a viable option. The reviews received on both and the benchmarks performed haven't justified to me a reason to dish out the extra $500 for the x6800, especially when I could nab another GPU for that. Maybe I'm mistaken? (This is going to be my first build from scratch)

On a good note though I just ordered my 24 widescreen LCD from Dell. I working with a 17 standard right now, so this thing is going to look beastly.

Also thanks to everyone here for all the great 590 info. If you go to any other computer forums, no one has a drop of information on what's going on.

Paul 2(different than the other paul on this thread lol)

Prkchpsndwiches

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I just got off the phone with Asus tehcnical support in their pre-sales department and the guy I spoke too was pretty much one of the worst customer service reps ever. At first he had no idea what I was talking about, and then once he did he was like oh those aren't available yet. I told him I was aware of that and that I was inquiring on a potential release date.

He had no information on that and I asked him if anyone else in a different department would be able to answer my question he responded with and "uhhhhhhhhhhh no.." Maybe he was new, but he seemed clueless.

I called a second time, this time with the motherboard technical support.
He was much nicer and appeared more knowledgable, but he too had no information for me.

Both did specualte about it being available, but not in the states...I though that was interesting.

So I'm not sure who a previous poster talked to, but I hope he has his ext., seems to be the only one in the know.

Also I never knew Asus, was pronouced A-sues or A-zeus sounding, rather than my previous interpretation of As-us or Ace-us.

Paul2

IdiotNewb

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Did you guys read this article? Sounds like bad news if you want a 590 motherboard in the near future.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/04/whats_causing_dell_xps700_delays/

Sounds like Dell is having problems getting 590 chips for their xps700. They are talking about having to delay the Conroe xps700's till October and everything points to the 590 as being the reason. If this is the case we may not see a 590 motherboard out till the end of the year. Either way, I will wait to upgrade till they get it right and I have what I want.

Prkchpsndwiches

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for the article there on the xps. Im hoping that the dealy till october is not soley on the mobo. That would pretty dissappointing.

Also thanks S-Law. I e-mailed D. Ray and am awaiting a reply. Any new information from him will be posted.

Paul 2 (Prk)

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
if you can run crossfire on an nVidia board, shouldn't they drop the "SLI" from the name? And could you send the link for that? I find it hard seeing Nvidia allowing for ATI to throw themselves into nVidia based boards. That's almost like saying, AMD will fit in an Intel Socket! 8O

Well, I guess they're still nVidia, so having SLI on there is their way of nudging you to go the way of SLI. But really, when you think about it, it's pretty smart, because if someone makes their mind up they want to go with crossfire, then nVidia is already out the money for the video cards, so why should they also guarantee themselves being out the money for the motherboard too? If that someone has their heart set on crossfire, even if they like the nForce chipset better than, say, the 975X, they'll be forced to go with the 975. The way nVidia is doing it now, everyone can mix and match, so now the person with their heart set on crossfire can still give some of their money to nVidia, and I would think it would get them more business... but yes, I agree with you that at first glance it does seem odd. When you think about it tho, it's really smart, to me anyway. Here's the link to the main , and here's a link to the page where I found the bit about crossfire and sli.
-Paul

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Also I know this is the motherboard forum, but I have reall been looking at the E6700 over the X6800 as a viable option. The reviews received on both and the benchmarks performed haven't justified to me a reason to dish out the extra $500 for the x6800, especially when I could nab another GPU for that. Maybe I'm mistaken? (This is going to be my first build from scratch)

On a good note though I just ordered my 24 widescreen LCD from Dell. I working with a 17 standard right now, so this thing is going to look beastly.

Also thanks to everyone here for all the great 590 info. If you go to any other computer forums, no one has a drop of information on what's going on.

Paul 2(different than the other paul on this thread lol)

Either way, the performance is amazing, but I think where the extra money comes in is the multiplier. Every core 2 duo below the X6800 has its multiplier upward locked, so you can only adjust it lower. The X6800 has its multiplier unlocked both ways, giving you more freedom to overclock and tweak. I can't recall what the highest the multiplier can go on the E6700 tho, but if you don't need to go above that, and the performance seems good to you, it'd be a very fine choice. If you don't plan on OCing at all, then ya, they are very close in performance in most areas. And who knows, maybe you can mess around enough with the FSB to overclock fine, especially if the multiplier isn't locked at a very low setting.

No problem on doing my share of 590 research, lots of guys should get the credit as you pointed out, but I appreciate the thanks. I plan on calling Asus on Monday and hounding them about a release date :D

-Paul (haha, do I get to be just Paul since I was here first?)

zpert

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Hey guys, that's not good news from tgdaily.com. Read this:

UPDATE: Nvidia spokesperson Bryan Del Rizzo told TG Daily late today that nForce 590 chipsets will not be made available "through the channel" - meaning, on OEM motherboards - for at least another few weeks. But Dell, Del Rizzo reminded us, makes its own motherboards, and therefore doesn't have to wait in the same queue along with smaller OEMs. So availability for 590 chipsets is not a problem for Dell, he added.

Del Rizzo also said he believed he had learned from Dell that the company has begun shipping XPS 700 systems to customers during the past few days, and that any news that shipments were being delayed until October was anomalous.

I hope that's not true... it's the nvidia spokesperson tho, which worries me. I might have to go with the 975X for the time being, even tho I really don't want to do that. If you want, here's a link to that page.
-Paul