[SOLVED] NVME and Optane for my D: drive HDD

Howard_23

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017
I'm using Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard.

I was wondering is it possible to set up using; in my system
  • boot drive C: = NVME
  • secondary drive D: & E: = HDD(raided 0) and Optane
And also, is it possible to use M.2 SSD run as Optane Memory or Optane Memory is special kind?

Edit :
I able to learn more about it, there is software for Intel (Rapid Storage Technology RST) to boost and treat your SSD or Optane as cache memory. Meanwhile for AMD it uses StoreMi stated by @siaan312. This is normal use case if you want more studies, google search Cache vs Tiering if you guys interested. Cheers! But I still can't Tier my D: drive raid 0 with my additional SSD.

Last edited:
Solution
what you are referring to
is having an ssd boot drive
and an accelerated hard drive for bulk.

yes that is possible.
it is called tiered storage, not optane.
optane, is a special kind of memory that is often used for teiring, that is made by intel.
it is somewhere between ram and ssds, but much more expensive then ssds, yet cheaper than ram.

you can get all sorts of capacities, from 16 to 64 and more to turbocharge a hard drive.
that is using optane memory.

you can also use normal ssds for tiering (turbo charging) your hard drive.
but, that kind of solution usually works with much bigger capacities.
(a 32gb optane will be as good as a 128gb ssd for teiring, or something like that, dont quote me.)

you generally have 3 options.

optane...

yes that is possible.
optane, is a special kind of memory that is often used for teiring, that is made by intel.
it is somewhere between ram and ssds, but much more expensive then ssds, yet cheaper than ram.

you can get all sorts of capacities, from 16 to 64 and more to turbocharge a hard drive.

(a 32gb optane will be as good as a 128gb ssd for teiring, or something like that, dont quote me.)

optane (using intel rst drivers only on 7th gen core and up. its free if you have an optane drive)
optane (on amd storemi, but it uses a less smart algorithem, making it useless with a drive smaller then 128gb)
ssds (on amd storemi)
and the only actual good choice

primocache.
its a monthly fee, but its relativly afforable.
works good on both optane and normal ssds.
has tons of options.

Solution

Howard_23

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017

yes that is possible.

optane (using intel rst drivers only on 7th gen core and up. its free if you have an optane drive)
optane (on amd storemi, but it uses a less smart algorithem, making it useless with a drive smaller then 128gb)
ssds (on amd storemi)
and the only actual good choice

primocache.
its a monthly fee, but its relativly afforable.
works good on both optane and normal ssds.
has tons of options.
Wow that's informational, thanks man. I don't have to buy Optane Memory instead I use my spare M.2 SSD to tier up