[SOLVED] NVMe M.2 SSD installed in PCIe adapter is causing shutdown on Windows boot up ?

May 22, 2021
Hi everyone—looking for help with a new Samsung SSD 980 NVMe M.2 installation that I can't seem to solve. My computer won't turn on if I install it ...
  • I have an older build (circa 2011) and Mobo with no M.2 slot, so I need to use a PCIe adapter.
  • My computer is working fine right now (having uninstalled the adapter+SSD), but when I have the adapter+SSD installed it will not boot up ?
  • When my PC turns on it gets as far as the Windows logo, trying to load up Windows10 and then it all shuts down.
  • I haven't done anything beyond installing the SSD in the adapter and plugging it into the PCIe slot (and removing it to be online now)
  • My plan was/is to setup a simple volume with extra storage for games/programs
Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz​
RAM: 8192MB​
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080​
Any ideas? Let me know if other information is required... thanks in advance!

P.S. I know I won't get the full power of the read/write speed out of it with my current build (i.e., an adapter into PCIe 2.0) ... just figured I'd get something better if/when I upgrade the rest :$

Solution
Hi everyone—looking for help with a new Samsung SSD 980 NVMe M.2 installation that I can't seem to solve. My computer won't turn on if I install it ...
  • I have an older build (circa 2011) and Mobo with no M.2 slot, so I need to use a PCIe adapter.
  • My computer is working fine right now (having uninstalled the adapter+SSD), but when I have the adapter+SSD installed it will not boot up ?
  • When my PC turns on it gets as far as the Windows logo, trying to load up Windows10 and then it all shuts down.
  • I haven't done anything beyond installing the SSD in the adapter and plugging it into the PCIe slot (and removing it to be online now)
Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz​
RAM: 8192MB​
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080​
Any ideas? Let me know if other information is required... thanks in advance!

P.S. I know I won't get the full power of the read/write out of it with my current build (i.e., an adapter into PCIe 2.0) ... just figured I'd get something better if/when I upgrade the rest :$
The easy way out is to return the ssd and the adapter and then get a 2.5 sata ssd.
Connect it to a sata3 port.
Even Asus does not want to show bios and driver updates for that old mobo.

Solution