Question NVMe SSD keeps disappearing from Windows ?

CtDabs

Prominent
Aug 14, 2021
Specs:
Msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi
Amd ryzen 3600
Msi Gaming 3060 Ti
Sabrent rocket 4 1tb (old, OS drive)
Sabrent rocket 1tb (new)
Windows 11

I will try to start from the top with this issue.
My S/O wanted more storage for her PC, so I recommended that she buy the aforementioned Sabrent rocket 1tb to put in the second Nvme m.2 slot in her moba.
We got one, and started having issues right away. The new D drive would disappear from Bios, Disk management, everything.
Sometimes restarting the pc would make the drive re-appear, but the files that were installed to the disk were corrupt and unable to be accessed.
I tested the drive in her bios and it passed, however, when I put the drive in my system (gigabyte b450 aorus plus wifi), it would crash during the self-test.
The drive also disappeared from my system, the same problems that she was having.
We thought this was enough information to prove that the drive was defective, and so we got a replacement.
The new drive was performing correctly for a few days, and now all of a sudden it is also disappearing from windows, bios, disk management, everything.
However, if this drive does randomly re-appear, the files on it seem to work correctly.

What could be causing the drive to disappear like this?? Could it be a faulty Nvme #2 slot on the motherboard? Does anyone have further suggestions to diagnose this issue?
I have looked through the bios menu to see if there are any sort of "fast boot" type protocols that might boot the last used drive only, but I was unable to find any.
There are NO sata devices connected to the motherboard, so there should not be any issue with the second m.2 slot unless there is a bios option I am unaware of.
I have tried reseating the drive, resetting the Cmos, uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them, reformatting the entire disk, and I'm running out of options.
I have not tested the replacement drive in my system, just hers. I could see if it gives me the same issues of disappearing, but then I'm back where I started thinking that the issue is the drive.
I really don't think I got two broken drives in a row, but I can't do much to it without the drive itself being detected.
Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Reactions: NalevQT

CtDabs

Prominent
Aug 14, 2021
What Power supply do you have?

Do you have newest bios on motherboard?
The power supply is a corsair CX750M
The bios on the motherboard is not on the most recent revision but it is from late 2021 or early 2022.
I did not suspect this would cause a problem considering the release date of the rocket but I can try updating to the most recent revision.

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios generally can't make nvme disappear. I mean, I guess its possible but so far I haven't seen it.
What could be causing the drive to disappear like this?? Could it be a faulty Nvme #2 slot on the motherboard? Does anyone have further suggestions to diagnose this issue?
it could be but there aren't any safe tests to find out. Put drive in and see if it dies... could swap the C drive in but it could be Russian roulette with its life.

PSU can kill drives but the time frame is pretty fast. that and the power supply for an nvme is though board. not just a cable. So i don't know.

I don't know if its a common thing with that brand of nvme, I don't see many so maybe not. I can see a few results of them disappearing but none from this year.

does replacement drive play up in your pc as well?

Could be 2 bad drives.