Question Odd static randomly appearing. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and an AudioTechnica AT2020

Jul 8, 2024
Hey all,

New to Tom's Hardware and I need some help. I got an AudioTechnica AT 2020 and my friends hear static at random times. I fix it temporarily by disabling and re-enabling the Focusrite that it connects to, but then it happens again at a seemingly random time later. Here is a video link to how it sounds:
View: https://youtu.be/4hDIP4D53Ew

I have tried the other XLR port and a different XLR cable. The microphone for my headset works fine. The 48V shadow power is on, otherwise the microphone would not work. All USB microphones work fine. It may be important to note that I have used my Focusrite as an Amp simulator in the past for my guitar, and sometimes I'd get screeching coming through the output and I'd have to unplug and replug the guitar for it to return to normal. Different cables for this did not work as well.

So I have a feeling it is the Focusrite but I don't want to splash out on another one just in case the same issue happens and it happens not to be the Focusrite. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Anything else I could try to troubleshoot?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jul 8, 2024
Just read that we should add our PC specs when sending tech support/trouble shooting threads, so here are mine:
CPU: Intel I7 6700K 4.0GHZ
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus 64-bit (I can't remember the exact MOBO)
Ram: 16GB DDR 2133 (2 X 8GB) Corsair sticks
SSD/HDD: 2 TB Toshiba HDD. 1 TB Kingston SSD. 512 GB SSD (SPCC Solid State Disk).
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Gamerock Palit Geforce
PSU: No clue, cannot remember
Chassis: No clue, cannot remember
Monitor: 2x Asus VG248QE

Microphone: AudioTechnica AT 2020 (Factory New)
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (About 5 years old now, had the guitar screeching issue a few years ago though)