Chezzy

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I just bought an SSD yesterday to upgrade my old HDD and thought about cloning my system from my HDD to my SSD. I did some research and clone it as soon as I got my SSD. But problems starts appearing, namely because of different size issue, the program that I use and transferring issues. And so, I gave up on cloning and ended up installing fresh Windows 10 on my SSD.

My HDD wasn't wiped out and I wanted it to be my secondary drive. I read that if there is two drive with a system in it, Windows won't boot properly. So, should I wipe system files on my HDD? And if so, how?

I currently have my SSD plugged in after Windows install without the HDD.

Solution
What exactly was the option you chose to try and boot from the SSD? To my knowledge an OS should not interfere with another drive's OS as long as you chose to boot from the proper drive (in your case, the SSD). There is another option that should definitely work if your old disk is somehow interfering with the SSD: you could load Ubuntu on a flash drive and use live boot to log into the system (with the HDD plugged in) without actually installing, and from there format you HDD. Yet another option is to install Ubuntu on the HDD (with no SSD plugged in), then plug in your SSD and at that point you no longer have two Windows 10 drives in the system. if there is still a boot issue, it would be caused more likely by a hardware problem with...

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
I actually had 2 drives, one with Windows 10, and one with Windows 8, in the same computer and everything worked fine (booted into Windows 10). I believe as long as your boot priority is set correctly, there should not be a problem.
You can try going into BIOS with the 2 disks plugged in, forcing it to boot from the SSD, then formatting the HDD once in Windows: that will render the OS on it useless.

Chezzy

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I actually had 2 drives, one with Windows 10, and one with Windows 8, in the same computer and everything worked fine (booted into Windows 10). I believe as long as your boot priority is set correctly, there should not be a problem.
You can try going into BIOS with the 2 disks plugged in, forcing it to boot from the SSD, then formatting the HDD once in Windows: that will render the OS on it useless.
I see, but in my case it's also Windows 10. And I've tried the boot order in the BIOS when I attempt to clone, but it only showed black cursor screen. Will there be a problem? Also thanks for the reply

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
What exactly was the option you chose to try and boot from the SSD? To my knowledge an OS should not interfere with another drive's OS as long as you chose to boot from the proper drive (in your case, the SSD). There is another option that should definitely work if your old disk is somehow interfering with the SSD: you could load Ubuntu on a flash drive and use live boot to log into the system (with the HDD plugged in) without actually installing, and from there format you HDD. Yet another option is to install Ubuntu on the HDD (with no SSD plugged in), then plug in your SSD and at that point you no longer have two Windows 10 drives in the system. if there is still a boot issue, it would be caused more likely by a hardware problem with the HDD.

Solution