Question Old PC - What components to upgrade?

chipdude375

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hi there,

I would like to start playing games again at high or highest settings with a consistent average of 60fps, and was wondering what exactly I will need to upgrade and what to replace with. - I've been out of the loop with pc components for a long time! At the moment my pc is definitely feeling its age. My specs are:

Motherboard: GA-78 LMT-USB 3
Processor: AMD FX-6300
Graphics Card: MSI R9 280X
RAM: 8GB
PSU: EVGA 550W Bronze
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit OS

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

bennetvella

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
Still getting back to scratch just like yourself since it's been around 8 years since my last dive into pc construction. I've found AMD Ryzen 3 to be solid for gaming considering they launch with 4 cores out of the gate. They're also proper cheap, a Ryzen 3 3200G runs you around 100 bucks. You can punch a weight higher with Ryzen 5 giving you slightly stronger clocks, however AMD appears to mostly scale up on cores rather than actual clocks. Intel is still sort of king for single core clocks.

Not sure about GFX cards, I picked a GTX 1660Ti a while back but I'm thinking that was probably a bit overboard. For 60 fps at high or highest however you'll likely want to go even further than that yourself, also depending on what resolution you're going off off. The 20xx series has come out for Nvidia which might be worth looking into for max quality gaming if you've got the cash to spare.