[SOLVED] Opening a game on my primary monitor causes the 2nd monitor sto glitch and drop frames.

Merge.-

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020

Hey I’ve had this problem for a while, once opening a game full screen on my primary monitor, the 2nd monitor seems to limit frames (?) while the primary monitor also becomes slightly skippy (even after tabbing out, seen in the video linked), I have been previously advised that it could be linked to excess static in the case (?) but after following the steps to eliminate that possibility the problem still occurs.
It doesn't happen every time i open a game and it's not game specific, ALSO occasionally there will be green lines glitching on the 2nd monitor, ( also not every time hence it not being in the video),

ONLY CURRENT SOLUTION: If I tab out and change the projection from extended to pc screen only and back to extended i'm able to stop the issue, until i tab back into the game. If i switch which monitor i run as the main the 2nd monitor still has the issue.

Rig
Both Monitors: MSI Optix G241 Esports Gaming IPS Monitor connected via DP cable
GPU: AMD MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT MECH OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair VengeanceLP DDR4 3600
PSU: NZXT C750

Any help would be appreciated greatly as I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now with no one being able to help.

Solution
Device manager is lying to you. It does not actually mean you have the latest drivers installed, because it has absolutely no clue whether you do or not. All device manager knows is whether the latest drivers that are ON THE SYSTEM somewhere and can be found or are installed, are in use. If not, it will apply the updated driver that is present, but not in use.

Windows update's "optional" updates feature is a little better, but even so these are mostly universal vanilla type drivers which are supplied by Microshaft and are usually not the same full featured drivers available from the manufacturer. Sometimes they are, but usually they are simply whatever the latest universal driver Microsoft has natively available for that device. If you...
What Windows version are you running?

Have you installed the monitor driver from the MSI product page for your displays?

https://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/monitor/G241-INF.zip

Are you using ONLY a DP cable, no adapters etc.?

What is your motherboard model and current BIOS version?

Have you tried running the DDU and then doing a clean install of the AMD display drivers?

Do you have ANY problems, AT ALL, when using either of these displays by themselves with the other one NOT connected?

Merge.-

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Thanks for your response, if any of the information i've provided was not what you wanted just let me know and i'll try and rectify that,

I'm running (Edition) Windows 10 Pro (Version) 21H2

I don't believe I've ever manually installed the drivers from the MSI website, but my device manager claims i have the latest drivers installed for my monitors

Yes, only Displayport cables no adapters or anything else

Motherboard is the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX AM4 ATX , Bios Version : BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. 3.B0, 12/05/2021

I have not attempted to uninstall all my display drivers yet, kinda see it as a last measure as it seems to be pretty conclusive so i would like to try everything else beforehand

I believe I have no issues on either display when both monitors are connected until i open a game, seems to be the only the trigger unless I'm mistaken, the primary monitor does not have any issues other than being slightly skippy as you can see the in the video, however i don't usually notice that so that may be a rare occurrence.

Device manager is lying to you. It does not actually mean you have the latest drivers installed, because it has absolutely no clue whether you do or not. All device manager knows is whether the latest drivers that are ON THE SYSTEM somewhere and can be found or are installed, are in use. If not, it will apply the updated driver that is present, but not in use.

Windows update's "optional" updates feature is a little better, but even so these are mostly universal vanilla type drivers which are supplied by Microshaft and are usually not the same full featured drivers available from the manufacturer. Sometimes they are, but usually they are simply whatever the latest universal driver Microsoft has natively available for that device. If you want the full featured, up to date, latest drivers for ANY hardware component, you generally need to visit the product support page for that device on the manufacturer's website. Especially for things like chipset, network adapters (LAN/Ethernet or WiFi), audio controllers/codecs, etc., and graphics cards. Usually most of these are found on the motherboard's product page and the Nvidia or AMD websites.

Relying on the natively supplied Windows drivers OFTEN results in problems, conflicts and configuration problems. Not always, especially on much older hardware, but often enough.

I'd install that monitor driver first, restart, and see if it helps. If not, I'd download the Display Driver Uninstaller from Wagnard tools and the latest AMD display drivers, then run the DDU and choose the reboot to safe mode option, remove the existing AMD drivers using the DDU and restart, then install the latest drivers. I'd also update the motherboard chipset, network adapter and audio drivers.

Before I did any of that though I'd update to BIOS version 7C02v3F which can be found here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/support

You are several BIOS releases behind in the update cycle because there are THREE newer than the one you current have installed.

Solution

Merge.-

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
I believe running DDU after updating BIOS has solved my issue, it’s been around 15ish hours but it’s looking promising, so thanks a lot for your help!