[SOLVED] Opinion on my new i5-12600K pc build upgrade before I order the parts?

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
I've recently made a post with a first assembly of components to make a decent upgrade of my old pc build.

The PC was an old Acer Predator G3620, in which I'd added a new GPU 1660 TI, a RM650x (2018) psu as well as some extra RAM and a new SSD. I'm now about to replace pretty much everything except for the newer parts (gpu + psu and my storage; i might need to buy a new SSD Drive in the near future as I'm slowly running out of space for my games ) including a new mid tower case so I have enough room for an ATX motherboard and all the other parts to fit comfortably.

Parts that I am keeping from previous rig:
GPU: MSI Gaming X GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
PSU: Corsair RM650x (2018) 650W 80+
HDD: Old Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5"

New parts:
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Ive already bought the RAM)
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-core
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700
Case: Corsair 4000D AirFlow ATX Mid Tower Case

A lot of the parts I was going for initially weren't easily available or just a lot more expensive than anticipated (I live in Belgium and prices for a lot of components differ a lot - to my dissadvantage; check my previous post for reference of which parts i was intitially going for)
For example the i7-12700K is €100 more expensive (€386 total) than the i5, so I went with the latter. I also went with the towahawk motherboard because it looks like a good board that i can easily do future upgrades with as well as the wi-fi, which I wanna have as an option since I'm not going to live at the same place for much longer and don't know if ethernet is going to be easily available when I start living somewhere else (i don't have ethernet now either). The case I liked because of the extra fans it comes with, just like the look overal and it has plenty of ports at the front (I do switch up peripherals sometimes for recording music, so having some ports at the front is really handy so I don't have to crawl under my desk every time)
The current options set me back just under €700, which I can manage just fine but I don't want to go over.

I mainly use the pc for gaming, recording music and sometimes editing videos (the video editing is usually pretty simple and doesn't require a lot; it's also been 5 months since I've editing anything; as a reference). My main goal is to future proof my build as much as possible without spending a fortune and to improve my gaming experience by a fair bit.

Factors I'm not 100% sure about:
  • as it's a mid tower case, i'm not sure how comfortably everything will fit, but i think a full tower is a bit overkill for what i require (and immediately costs a lot more)
  • the psu doesn't have the extra 4pin for additional power for overclocking the CPU, but I've never done any overclocking and don't see a need to do it with the i5-12600K

Solution
I've recently made a post with a first assembly of components to make a decent upgrade of my old pc build.

The PC was an old Acer Predator G3620, in which I'd added a new GPU 1660 TI, a RM650x (2018) psu as well as some extra RAM and a new SSD. I'm now about to replace pretty much everything except for the newer parts (gpu + psu and my storage; i might need to buy a new SSD Drive in the near future as I'm slowly running out of space for my games ) including a new mid tower case so I have enough room for an ATX motherboard and all the other parts to fit comfortably.

SSD...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5"

New parts:
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Ive already bought the RAM)
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-core
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700
Case: Corsair 4000D AirFlow ATX Mid Tower Case

A lot of the parts I was going for initially weren't easily available or just a lot more expensive than anticipated (I live in Belgium and prices for a lot of components differ a lot - to my dissadvantage; check my previous post for reference of which parts i was intitially going for)
For example the i7-12700K is €100 more expensive (€386 total) than the i5, so I went with the latter. I also went with the towahawk motherboard because it looks like a good board that i can easily do future upgrades with as well as the wi-fi, which I wanna have as an option since I'm not going to live at the same place for much longer and don't know if ethernet is going to be easily available when I start living somewhere else (i don't have ethernet now either). The case I liked because of the extra fans it comes with, just like the look overal and it has plenty of ports at the front (I do switch up peripherals sometimes for recording music, so having some ports at the front is really handy so I don't have to crawl under my desk every time)
The current options set me back just under €700, which I can manage just fine but I don't want to go over.

I mainly use the pc for gaming, recording music and sometimes editing videos (the video editing is usually pretty simple and doesn't require a lot; it's also been 5 months since I've editing anything; as a reference). My main goal is to future proof my build as much as possible without spending a fortune and to improve my gaming experience by a fair bit.

Factors I'm not 100% sure about:
  • as it's a mid tower case, i'm not sure how comfortably everything will fit, but i think a full tower is a bit overkill for what i require (and immediately costs a lot more)
  • the psu doesn't have the extra 4pin for additional power for overclocking the CPU, but I've never done any overclocking and don't see a need to do it with the i5-12600K
Looks OK to me.
A mid tower has plenty of room.
You can't overclock with that motherboard anyhow.

Reactions: Arne.V
Solution