In Outlook, "OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachments in
your mail" appears when I receive a wmv file. How can I view the attachment?
--
Todd Smith

Tools/Options/security...............at your own risk
peterk

the problem

In news:8E0331CE-89EE-451E-AA2F-0660255E39AA@microsoft.com,
Todd Smith <ToddSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> In Outlook, "OE has removed access to the following unsafe
> attachments in your mail" appears when I receive a wmv file.
> How can
> I view the attachment?

Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any
file type which *can* contain a virus. It's not a virus checker,
doesn't actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean
that there actually is a virus there.

Such attachments *are* very risky. You often see advice not to
open attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's
one of the most dangerous pieces of advice you see around,
because it implies that it's safe to do the opposite--open
attachments from friends and relatives. But many viruses spread
by sending themselves to everyone in the infected party's address
book, so attachments received from friends are perhaps the *most*
risky to open.

Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never
open executable attachments at all, except from a *very* few
trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them. But if
you want to remove this safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to
Tools | Options, and on the security tab, uncheck "Do not allow
attachments..."

Please reply to the newsgroup

Todd Smith wrote:
> *In Outlook, "OE has removed access to the following unsafe
> attachments in
> your mail" appears when I receive a wmv file. How can I view the
> attachment?
> --
> Todd Smith *

Hi.

In OE, select Tools > Options then the Security tab then uncheck the
box next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
potentially be a virus", click apply & ok for setting change to take
affect.

Regards

CReWdog

--
CReWdog

Right on Crewdog. That will do it !!

Redwagon...

"CReWdog" wrote:

> Todd Smith wrote:
> > *In Outlook, "OE has removed access to the following unsafe
> > attachments in
> > your mail" appears when I receive a wmv file. How can I view the
> > attachment?
> > --
> > Todd Smith *
>

> Hi.
>
> In OE, select Tools > Options then the Security tab then uncheck the
> box next to "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
> potentially be a virus", click apply & ok for setting change to take
> affect.
>
> Regards
>
> CReWdog
>

> --
> CReWdog

Hi Todd,

Cannot open attachments in Microsoft Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829982

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Todd Smith wrote:
> In Outlook, "OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachments in
> your mail" appears when I receive a wmv file. How can I view the attachment?

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: