pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to overclock my Philips 4K PHL 228P6L monitor above 60hz on lower resolutions (720p, 768p, 900p, and 1080p), but any refresh rate I try above 60hz makes the imagery look choppy, probably due to frame skipping. As I own a GTX 1050 dedicated graphics card, I tried both the NVIDIA control panel and the CRU, and the monitor allows me to overclock up to 80hz without losing signal, but with terrible results, regardless of the refresh rate and the timing I choose. I am currently using display port 1.2 which, theoretically, should allow me to go above 60hz, but it simply doesn't work, I always get worse results than 60hz.
Am I missing something? Or is it my monitor? I was thinking of manually inserting different timing values from the Nvidia panel and CRU presets, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
Why? Is the extra FPS you might get from running a low end GPU from 60fps to 70 or 80fps worth damaging your montior?
I'm actually in two minds about it.
Some people claim that even a 10 to 20% increase in refresh rate does enhance the experience, a worthwhile upgrade for people who are seeking for more competitivity in multiplayer games or simply more smoothness. And the damage is minimal as long as you don't push it too hard, diminishing the lifespan by a few percent...
While others say that the difference is imperceptible and will damage the monitor very quickly, and it's not recommended for long use.
Just like any hardware topic, there is basically no consensus. I just wanted to see with my own eyes if I can actually perceive any difference and get to a conclusion by myself.

pedro1865

Prominent
Mar 27, 2019
I've just tested a spare LG Full HD TV I have here, and I get the same results, everything above 60hz looks choppy. Maybe it has something to do with the graphics card?

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I have some midrange to cheap monitors that I "pushed" to 65 Hz on a GTX 650 Ti Boost.
I've only run Minecraft and emulated Diagonal Mario through Snes9x, but I didn't see any choppiness.
Maybe try increasing it 3-5 frames at a time and see when it gets bad?

While from 60 to 144hz is a day and night difference, i doubt getting an extra 10 would make any visual difference whatsoever, but thats me of course, i personally believe things my feel smoother , specially the cursor at 80 and up, so i have to stick with the side that thinks is not a good idea to risk your monitor to gain a minor if any refresh rate gain, unless for instance, your could draw a bit over 60 fps and you want to get rid of tearing, but even so you cap the frames anyways...